Pass HPA-1, what do we know?

@Extreme_Boky, ahh, I see. Yes, that would have explained the symptoms (except I guess the high CLR line).

But for now, my uncle is indeed Bob.

I soldered in all the flying leads (which took ages), attached the faceplate, and... Bob's still my uncle. :)

It's time I took ZM's advice: be happy.

Cheers,
Jeff.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• progress_cased1.jpg
    progress_cased1.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 2,446
  • progress_cased2.jpg
    progress_cased2.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 3,157
Thanks!

Yes, I am also driving my headphones directly from the speaker terminals but I wanted to know if you had used any type of resistance in series.

I added a TRS on the front of the amplifier. I hope to put photos in a few days. ;)

My problem at the moment is a constant HUM and I have not been able to identify what is due. :mad:

PS. Sorry for off topic

So how's it sound?

I compared it to 2 other DIY builds: a Bottlehead SEX with some modifications (no CCS) and a Torpedo 3 clone (with tube and output stage CCSes). They were all built by me, so no ownership bias. I think the SEX looks the coolest, so there's a bit of bias there.

attachment.php

All listening was done with HD650s. The Pass was the least powerful, with the listening done at about 2 o'clock, while the other two were at 10 or 11 o'clock.

The T3 has the punchiest bass, but only by a hair. The SEX gets a bit flabby down low, but it's nice and round and euphonic. Surprisingly, the Pass goes deeper than the other two and was more effective at getting my groove on.

Another surprise: vocals were best on the SEX. More body, more soul.

The SEX fell down on detail. The T3 was noticeably better while the Pass was in a different league. This was by far the largest difference between the amps.

The Pass had a more expansive sound-stage while the other two were more similar than not. It wasn't so much that the Pass was wider or taller (although it might have been), but more that it felt like you could walk around in between the various bits.

The SEX was more fun than the T3, but if I was listening seriously I'd be annoyed by the loss of detail. The Pass consistently gave me goosebumps where the other two didn't. For me? The Pass without a moment's hesitation.

Attachments

• headphone amps.jpg
    headphone amps.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 2,373
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Or, more inexpensively, connect a 3W 68 ohm resistor from tip to sleeve, and another 3W 68 ohm resistor from ring to sleeve. A little box inline between 1/4" male stereo TRS plug and a 1/4" female stereo TRS jack, is one way to implement it quickly.

Now the load seen by the HPA is (Zout_HD650 InParallelWith 68R) = (300 parallel 68) = 55 ohms, which is the point exactly half way between the HE-6 and the AK701. And it doesn't cost hundreds of dollars to try the experiment.

The difference between a paralleled resistor and a low-impedance phone is the signal voltage level.
A 50R phone in general requires less voltage but more current than a 300R or 600R phone.
But it is still a fair comparison if you apply the same 55R (equivalent) to all 3 amps.
Then a high-bias amp starts to shine.

My DAO HP, e.g. has 300mA bias for the JFET buffer alone.

Patrick