Pass Aleph P 1.7 preamp builders thread

When you power yours up through a bulb tester does the bulb still glow a litttle? Mine does a pinch, as of its on a dimmer at anout 15% and ive been assuming there is a short, expecting it to be glowing less. But i cant find one. It glows the same as my chipamps do.

I replaced all the irf610 and irf 9610 on one board and that one now works,.. I found that the printed markings looked differne t and i got them off a forum member.. Maybe counterfeits.. Once new ones went in it worked, but the power supply irf 610s still keep blowing.

I replaced the protection diode, just incase.

But after maybe five minutes the 610s blow. And just allow current straight through, like a wire.

Do i need a heat sink for the powersupply irf610s. Ive been running them without them.
I havent noticed heat, but are they susceptible to over heat. My non reg power is 80v.

yes the 610's in the PSU do need heatsink. no Wonder they blow without it:)

Ive added a heatsink to them. In the meantime ive noticed another thing... My aleph p power supply isnt grounded to chassis, do i need to ground the negative power terminal to earth? I dont have any ntc thermistors... Would a resistor work? What value?
I tried putting a 10ohm 5w resistor from negative out to chassis. The bulb glowed like crazy and it started to amoke, so i cut the power.

http://www.kk-pcb.com/a17-pwr.html

Thoughts...?

Last edited:
oh man! im sorry to hear about your dad. i hope he fights it well.

take your time we will all be here when you can and get to it.

bulb glow? could be normal. without doing the math i dont know.

good call on swapping the fets. give me a bit to do some math and simming and ill get back to you.

good luck, and thoughts are with you and yours.

Thank you. Its very hard.. Hes only 59 (and i 30) ... I guess msuic is my escape lately, from time to time...

Ive added a heatsink to them. In the meantime ive noticed another thing... My aleph p power supply isnt grounded to chassis, do i need to ground the negative power terminal to earth? I dont have any ntc thermistors... Would a resistor work? What value?
I tried putting a 10ohm 5w resistor from negative out to chassis. The bulb glowed like crazy and it started to amoke, so i cut the power.

Pass ALEPH P 1.7 - Power Supply PCB

Thoughts...?

do you use the PSU boards from kk-pcb?

What else is connected to chassis? The resistor shouldn't have done anything bad - a power NTC thermistor, such as the CL-60 used commonly for this, has a cold resistance of about 10ohm.

Just power supplies. The two aleph power supplies and an auxillary unregulated 12v supply just like what is used for the pearl.
I put them directly to the chassis through 10ohms. Bulb glowwed like 100%. Didnt have the aleph boards connected though, just the power supply.

When i connect the power supply to the aleph biards the regulator 610 lows right away.. Never even heats up.

do you use the PSU boards from kk-pcb?

No. Veterans boards.

Im pulling my hair out. Months of trying to figure out whats wrong.
It always comes back to blowing the 610 in the powersupply as soon as the aleph boards are connected.

When i seperated rhe power supply from the aleph boards and added a connection from negative to chassis theough 10ohms, the bulb went glowing like crazy. I got thism idea from the kk-pcb schematic and thought it was an oversight that could be responsible for the problems.

... Could it be bad caps on the power rails in the aleph boards shorting the power supply?

When they were pulled there was no problem with the 610 blowing.. Swapped them with new 100v 1000uf kw nichicons and same problem came back.

Last edited:
Ive realized that i haven't grounded the output of the aleph boards to the chassis.. Would this cause the repeated blowing of the irf610 when the boards are connected to the psu?

Still perplexed that there was smoke and fault light on the bulb tester when i grounded the negative output at the power supply... Maybe it needs to be done from the aleph board itself...?

Last edited:
can you measure the voltage (Vdc,Vac) between psu negative and chassis (without aleph boards)?

0.00v +/- 0.6mv. On both power supplies. -one is currently dead, the other has just been repaired, so you can see the same effect with the 610 blown or not.. Negative to chassis
Positive to chassis is just the same.

0.00v on aux power supply zero volt line to chassis

18.6v across protection diode on working psu (just repaired)
0.79v on non working psu with blown irf610

82.3v across the first 1000uf cap after bridge

I dont understand... Now wheni attach the negatives to chassis, the bulb tester is just fine! I dont get it...l

I have a power switch between the psu and the aleph p1.7 boards which cuts the dc power to the aleph boards, so i can run it in "standby"... This switch is intended to power up or down the aleph p by opening or closing the dc power..
Could it be the inrush current from switching on the aleph boards blowing the irf610 regulator?

I ask because i managed to get the power supply fired up while connected to the aleph today.. I thought id fixed the problem by grounding the psu.. When i finally hooked it up to amp and source and powered it on a second time, i blew the 610 as soon as i powered up the aleph boards by switchinh on the dc power.

MY heatsinks are very small...

.......Could it be the inrush current from switching on the aleph boards blowing the irf610 regulator?

This could be a problem (too)......
there is a protection res 3,3ohm at the +psu of the aleph boards.......you can increase it (to 27ohm and more) to limit the inrush current.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
FormosaWest:

I also used Veteran's boards (which were excellent) and had the identical problem with one of my Aleph P 1.7 preamps. I used a two chassis design and the problem turned out to be a short hidden in the umbilical cord that connects the power supply to the preamp. I spent months needlessly staring at the power supply trying to resolve the problem. Check for a short downstream of the power supply.

Regards,
Scott