Parts and components salvaging

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you know exactly what you are doing, some industrial electrician running cheap would purchase a fully functional one.

I purchased a 6 way 4 connector switch to replace a electroplating machine reversing current, it would switch DC and AC from the transformers and rectifiers and the sensors, BUT it never worked for one channel, I never knew why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, those machines are like $50K each so a silver 20Amps switch for $100 on ebay was a bargain for me, my boss approved. But we had to use a back up solid state rectiffer for some other jobs.

Btw I love old meters, I love 5K volts DC machines (not 5K av 5000A motors in tree grinders). New machines are very deficient in quality parts and sooo impossible to repair like new Class D power supplies, how the hell do you service that?????

I opened UPSs , and Class D DC regulators for commercial applications , I was like OMG everything is chip controlled, full PCB with SMDs and almost Nothing to fix... At the least problem you either scrap it or send it to manufacturer for expensive fixes.

This is a big problems with new machines and makes old machines more valuable because they almost never become obsolete, they are built to a human scale.

That was the happy old days.
Nowdays, to rummage through junk, we are left with e-bay. :D
no .
search around you if you do not have a rebreather.
I've been buying and recycling devices (mainly hi-fi) for a few years and a few years ago, a rebreather had the good idea to open to the public and since then I have access to military equipment (mainly marine and aero -naval) declassified and often
there are whole lots of new components coming in and I buy them by weight.
ebay is just the end of the chain ;)

How do you know the component you remove isn't the faulty component that is the reason the item has been scrapped ?
Its quite traumatic for components to be removed with heat and/or bending.

Your opinion about this matter appears to be pure speculation.

If I desolder a polystyrene capacitor with my Hakko 470 desoldering system and managed to remove the film capacitor in under 2-3 seconds, is the capacitor damaged? The answer is NO. Let me remind you that the film capacitor was originally subjected to high temperature for a much longer period when it was wave soldered.

If I quickly removed a 208-pin QFP IC from a scrap board by using a hot air tool in conjunction with a pre-heater while practicing safe ESD procedures, did I damage the part from the board that was previously scrapped with an unrelated failure, short answer is NO. I hope you are familiar with the semiconductor fabrication and assembly in terms of the high temperatures involved.

DO NOT downplay the capability and work experience of everyone else on this board, that is not how the world works.

This forum is not a contest. Quality matters not quantity. The fact that you include your commercial website link on all your posts suggests that your motive for posting on a very broad set of topics is questionable.

I have never used second hand parts not would I ever recommend it.
You are just looking for trouble.

In fact you just did by recommending UTSource below. UTSource is a parts broker in China that is actively engaged in distributing recycled/second hand parts taken from the scrap heap.

Source SANYO STK1039 that is Geniune Part?

...turns out the metal-cased 'deck of cards' units are smaller, more 'small candy-bar' sized, and they would appear to be caps after all, potted, paper and foil... the magic tester sez:
~600-1000 nf

Attachments

• caps.jpg
    caps.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Hi,
if Almo harvests some old parts from a working device, which is not broken but just old, then I see no quality concern.
But I fail to see the worth in this harvesting. What components you want to get? How much money you want to earn / safe? In regard to the time you invest I doubt this is worth it.
But hey, small money is still money, right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.