Parts and components salvaging

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, I do agree with the sentiment in that thread, recycling can be overdone. I bet only only a small fraction of "guitar tube amp from old console" projects turn into practical or long term use. You don't want to start into a new hobby destroying something that you might want to restore when you are more immersed in the hobby.

One of the better tube recycling donors I have come across was an old computer monitor, the NTSC composite kind. It had a series heater string, but on a separate isolation transformer. Score!

Just had a look through an old Practical Electronics magazine.
Lots of small electronic component sellers advertising.
Now all gone.

Is odd how back then the area of “electronics” was considered by many to have been a future growth opportunity, however, now, we are left with a bunch of cheaply made consumer devices, and basically no local supply of components to readily make ones own.

Is odd how back then the area of “electronics” was considered by many to have been a future growth opportunity, however, now, we are left with a bunch of cheaply made consumer devices, and basically no local supply of components to readily make ones own.

I remember well pre internet days where you filled in an order form with order codes from a catalogue and entered quantities.
Then you waited for a few days until the order got there, got fulfilled then returned. Quite often something was out of stock so you had to wait for it.

In Canada, they eventually became "The Source". They still sell some components but they aren't worth looking at.

In the UK the two big ones are RS Components and Farnell.
They are high quality genuine parts suppliers.
For amateurs Farnell is probably best as they tend to sell more lower quantity stuff. RS tends to sell in 5's or 10's when all you want is one making it expensive. However RS is free p+p and Farnell is if order over £20.
In 40 years I have had very few problems with either.
I have had things missing a couple of times with RS.
The worst mistake was Farnell with wrong resistors in a bag which stopped my amp working.

They probably have a few valued customers and the rest get the lower paid, short term to fill their orders.

One that’s still going here in the states is Fry’s, they started in the Silicon Valley, years ago, and some stores have restaurants inside them, and were open 24hrs. Electronic tweekers perfect store; lurch in there anytime, doesn’t matter, grab the parts you need, and some probably much needed nourishment as well!

Me too.
When I was a poor teen student interested in Electronics, think late 60´s, I used to buy junk IBM mainframe boards by the kilo and use the "burn and slap" method: melt solder with a propane torch and slap component side on a newspaper covered table; got over a hundred mystery transistors, diodes and ceramics from each batch.

I had a friend who used to go to local TV shops on bin day and rummage through their bins for salvage.

I worked in the biggest industries, and in one of them, as the electrician I would salvage :

Power switches,
Power switches from mains (aka 100A or + 3 phases) they contain a LOT of SILVER

Computer parts which contains a LOT OF GOLD

Doing a lousy job and giving those parts once a week to our calibration technician he could secure 100 to 150$ a month selling the melted metals at cheap prices.

Meters can be sold for hundred of dollars on ebay.

Variacs can be sold, I recycled all the variacs and give them second life to control machines when some feedback transistor boards would fail and would be too costly to repair (2 to 3 K $)

There are some military resistors which comes into sealed cardboard with aluminum sheets inside, they sell now for 1$ or something in surplus shops, (0.1% accuracy) but are worth at least $15 each.

I had a friend who used to go to local TV shops on bin day and rummage through their bins for salvage.
I spent hours in the late 80´s early 90´s rummaging through surplus/bargain parts bins along London´s "electronics parts street", was it Tottenham Court Road? .... Edgware Road?
Lots of weird surplus Industrial Electronics stuff, such as temperature controllers, sensors, etc. , for pennies, which begged to be repurposed for something else.
Sadly all gone by now.

Same as those wonderful oh-so-practical Magazines such as ETI, Hobby Electronics, etc.

Competely opposite in concept to Elektor, Nuova Elettronica, etc. with their very complex projects, which practically forced you to buy their kits, since they usually needed very hard to source parts and/or used impossible to home make boards .

While the British ones usually relied on available anywhere no etch not drilling Veroboard ... what´s not to like? :D

In the past, before recycling was a valuable item, dumster diving was an learned art. Then the powers to be started locking them up. I have recovered hundreds of valuable part from discarded medical and test equipment. Very fine resistors, transistor, transformers, enclosues, heat sinks etc. These parts have made there way into some very fine sounding equipment. I just realize there was many lost opportunities, darn......

Majestic radio chassis parts salvage?

If a separate thread is more appropriate, do advise.

I have the remains of a Majestic Model 90 radio chassis.

Anything here obviously worth salvaging before I further dissect it?
(ignoring the obvious - chassis itself and tube sockets)
If not, I'll leave it more than less intact and plan to pass it along.

e.g. What are:
- these coils within the copper cylinders?
- the (topside) large seemingly potted metal square structures?
- the 4 '~ deck of cards' sized units (interior, right side, 2 oriented to show ceramic innards) are these caps, resistors?

thanks!

Attachments

• majestic_90_001.jpg
    majestic_90_001.jpg
    906.3 KB · Views: 151
  • majestic_90_002.jpg
    majestic_90_002.jpg
    995.8 KB · Views: 162
Hi Gearfreak

that looks like its waiting for an owner to lovingly restore it so please don't scrap it.

The copper cans look like screens for the coils and the potted 'chunks may be transformers that have been potted to keep the laminations it place.

I would have a look at some of the vintage radio sites and ask if anyone maybe able to give you some further information and maybe an offer.:)

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike. I agree with the sentiment, but to your horror, know that I had the entire thing (highboy), and probably all that was wrong was the power supply. Alas, despite increasingly generous pricing and the ultimate in proximity to our eastern seaboard's primary thoroughfare, I got a sole lukewarm bite that went cold. The cabinet did get a lot of traffic when offered for free. From furniture flippers we presume.

So yes, alas most of it has been discarded bit-by-bit for lack of storage and the need to make way for repairs to a leaky roof.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> - these coils within the copper cylinders?
> - the (topside) large seemingly potted metal square structures?
> - the 4 '~ deck of cards' sized units (interior, right side, 2 oriented to show ceramic innards) are these caps, resistors?

Coils tune with the 5-gang variable capacitor to select a frequency (station). This is a really slick TRF radio; soon "obsoleted" by superhets.

The big square cans are probably power and output transformers.

The "decks" are probably power resistors to drop voltage.

Somebody "should" want all this stuff for restoration material; however radio collectors are a vanishing breed, and most already have a lifetime of projects.

The two '45 tubes, the '27 tube before that, the interstage and output transformer, IS an old-school Audio Amplifier. Fix it up (you need $$$ tubes and maybe some missing bits like fake field-coil), put your iPod to the last '27 grid, there's some fine sound in there. Mono.

In the cold light of day, if you can't find an Enthusiast, it's just junk.

Attachments

• Majestic-80.gif
    Majestic-80.gif
    41.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
The notion that desoldering a part will damage it is so naive.

How do you know the component you remove isn't the faulty component that is the reason the item has been scrapped ?
Its quite traumatic for components to be removed with heat and/or bending.

I have never used second hand parts not would I ever recommend it.
You are just looking for trouble.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.