Paradise Builders

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Miib tuning has a bit more treble and bass. +0.4db HF +0.2dB LF in my build by measurement. Add 1nF to the treble caps C2a, C2b and parallel 820k-1Meg to R9a R9b. Matter of tolerances. You are looking for 67.8k net. That way it goes near neutral so you can have an alternative listening session. Its a matter of taste and system integration mainly.

Common central raw PSU is ruled out, it really needs double mono.

Could you please explain? Sound-wise or just hum-wise?

Not that spectacular but reliable. Like a good deck on Dolby C allegorically.

Ha, ha. Very close to my impression too. But there is no denial the red boards with green leds are becoming iconic :)

Any ideas how to get a bit more resolution out of it?

Lower the servo impact resistors to around 8K, using a cheap resistor from the noname drawer. Seems to have done the trick, although I still can't afford to leave the paradise in the open. It needs a housing to prevent excessive output drift due to the airflow around it.

At some stage I will need to change the servo impact resistor to something better though.
- does this resistor have a significant impact on sound? It's sort of parallel to the signal path, isn't it.
- is there a particular reason why the designers have opted to parallel 2 150K? Instead of 1 75K?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Listening the first time... far too early for a verdict but so far very nice. Detailed and exact but not at all overly analytic or harsh. I have to resist the temptation to make it louder. And then louder. :D

Servo voltage came down to 4/6 Volts after implementing the "real" RIAA network. Output offset still wanders a bit within 100mV but I decided to not worry about it (and switch on the power amps last). ;)

I had to move the PS aways from the ampifier and now its surprisingly quiet even with no ground from the TT connected.

There could be a bit more gain - right now I'm using the nCores but I suspect when I use my belowed F4s I will not have enough gain. I'll worry about that later... ;)

beautiful! Let us know how the sound changes with more hours of playtime....

Joined 2005
Paid Member
You can try a Z-Foil resistor as cartridge loading. It has a somewhat brighter sound then the Dales but not sharp. You can of cause tune the RIAA for more linear.
I think Ricardo has another option then Salas. I think he arrived at his values mathematically.
It also depends on the cartridge. Which one do you have ?

Ricardos and MiiBs values are both given in the assembly guide. I would like to start a collection of RIAA values and the associated listening impressions :D

Jacco - yes, Fat Bob. Kind of a long story that includes the necessity for returning the "first choice" TT and limited alternatives with this particular vendor. I was very unhappy with the stability of the drive so I built a motor controller (the shiny thingy). With a controller and two belts under some tension the drive became acceptable. The black box is the DAC, no Brinkman for me, at least as long as I pay off the mortgage. :D

Yellow Philis are a tip of Chris who posted his built earlier in this thread.

Joachim - apologies, I just realized I called you Gerhard earlier in this thread. Not sure why, I wasn't even drunk? :confused:

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
A little on makeshift hook up. Common central raw PSU is ruled out, it really needs double mono. I preferred the flattened EQ. Its tame enough for transimpendance BJT. Its center of gravity is mid bass I guess. More like an easy force kind of sound. Not that spectacular but reliable. Like a good deck on Dolby C allegorically.

Yes, its a non pretentious, not harsh, low THD sound. Can replay many records without tilting over the edge. Can be played loud. Not being digital it reminds good quiet tape than reminding FLAC.

Miib tuning has a bit more treble and bass. +0.4db HF +0.2dB LF in my build by measurement. Add 1nF to the treble caps C2a, C2b and parallel 820k-1Meg to R9a R9b. Matter of tolerances. You are looking for 67.8k net. That way it goes near neutral so you can have an alternative listening session. Its a matter of taste and system integration mainly.

You can try a Z-Foil resistor as cartridge loading. It has a somewhat brighter sound then the Dales but not sharp. You can of cause tune the RIAA for more linear.
I think Ricardo has another option then Salas. I think he arrived at his values mathematically.
It also depends on the cartridge. Which one do you have ?

Could justify another thread on paradise riaa only

Like the idea of a Nak on C.... Did not think of it initially, but the low noise comes to that indeed.

Anyway it sounds cleaner than anything on Dolby C IMO.

The Z-foil for careet loading is a very good option... that is waht I have now and really is even better than the rgular shinkohs.

Hi Salas... Would you post all the riaa values you decided in the end... both caps and resistors please :)

H berndt cool idea :)

limited alternatives

Brinkmann likes to put a stone under all of his products.
With the slate plate, and the LP clamp where it is on the picture, looks a bit like Helmut's top turner.
Only lacks a small pipe between motor and clamp, and a few buttons. :clown:
(prettiest HB design for me still is the Audiolabor Konstant)

Pound for Pound (£/lb, or in this case DM pro kg), the FB is Jochen's best product, imo.
Requires a solid stone platform and an RPM controller, but plenty to save there for a diy. Konstant Ref M1 isn't that impressive inside.

Each of your projects is pretty, Gelbschnabel.

(jr has a couple of personal friends in low places, 1 is from my home town)

Last edited: