Paper Horn constuction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I try to stabilize my building process, but it is very hard to resist to the appeal of creativity.
I've made this one with my inkjet paper sheets (no scotch at all :D)... for nothing a all :rolleyes:

Not totally useless indeed, we can clearly see the deformation problem of the water based PVA glue with the lack of support during the curing process :(

Edit : "rolled over the mouth" is the next part on my DIY list.

Last edited:
Well, the polyurethane was my first choice but i don't know how you can have a precise profile with your artisanal lathe :scratch2:
The surface of the polyurethane is very vulnerable to the impacts, it is probably sufficient to your needs but not really compatible with medium sized precise horns IMO.

The curve profile is calculated, graphed and printed 1:1 using excel. The curve profile is transferred to a plywood template, where a "slot" is cut to make a curve template (removable piece) that is the same as the printed curve profile. The grinder is mounted to a X-Y travel platform that has a "pin" fitted to follow the curve template. It works like a key copying machine. The cutting disc follows the curve slot reproducing the profile on the polystyrene. This polystyrene is dense, .... :) at least as good as inkjet paper and bee's wax :D

I've watched your topic yesterday, your diffusers don't need to be dimentionally accurate, the small horns is another story.
My mold parts are laser cutted, the mold is measured adjusted and rejected if necessary until the level of dimentional quality is sufficient.
The plaster cost 1.75€ for each part, i'm ready for tons of rejected parts at the beginnig of the molding process, when it is well done the mold last forever.

Edit : the bee wax is a kind of "bee *** juice", the paraffin made of petroleum.

Edit : *** = fesses, postérieur, rectum, séant, arrière train.

Last edited:
Edit : "rolled over the mouth" is the next part on my DIY list.

Hornresp can calculate the petal dimensions for a Le Cléac'h horn having from 3 to 20 petals, with a "rolled-over mouth" if so desired.

The attached example has 7 petals, for a horn with a mouth flare tangent angle of 180 degrees.

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 426
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 429
  • Data.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 87
I'm not using your software because i must integrate the baffle shape in the horn flare design ;)
The expertise that i'm accumulating with my handwork and customized excel sheets is the manufacturing AND the intergration of a EJMLC paper made horn (complex challenge) with a very high profile accuracy... specific tools are uneludable.

How is that txt profile created in Hornresp ?

Hi DonVK,

1. Select File > Export > Horn Data from the main Schematic Diagram window (see Attachment 1).
2. Select the Petal Horn option and specify the number of petals and length increment size (see Attachment 2).
3. Click the Export button to export the horn data as a .txt or .csv file (see Attachment 3).

Hornresp has nine horn flare profiles to choose from:

* Conical
* Exponential
* Hyperbolic-exponential
* Le Cléac'h
* Oblate spheroidal
* Parabolic
* Radius
* Spherical wave
* Tractrix

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 544
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 541
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 541

Attachments

• DSCN3040 reduced.jpg
    DSCN3040 reduced.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN3044 reduced.jpg
    DSCN3044 reduced.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 202
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.