P3A Comparison table ( long .... )

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Perhaps it's a common fault in my PC sound systems, but I tried 3 PCs, one with a reference ESI Juli@ card and one a laptop with an external DAC, to get an idea why I heard a constant hiss and clicking like a badly worn vinyl record. There wasn't a lot of difference between systems. Still, I take your point about valid comparisons, Gareth. I have sensed that too and I agree with chlorofille that this recording seemed dynamic, like the source material but it was also overmodulating (splatter, in radio speak) and this was causing sound to break up on peaks which sounded bad.

Really, the MP3 quality was not the main problem. It could have been flac quality, but the noise and distortion would still have confused whether the amplifier had anything specific to do with sound quality. Am I the only one who hears the dominant background noise and overload artefacts?

I don't want to deter you from your efforts though, Thimios. Good for you, trying to share your listening pleasure and I hope it sounds many times better at home, like P3a and other great sounding amps should. I would work at a home speaker project next, to make sure you get the fidelity that's needed to get the best out of your system.

P3A

Perhaps it's a common fault in my PC sound systems, but I tried 3 PCs, one with a reference ESI Juli@ card and one a laptop with an external DAC, to get an idea why I heard a constant hiss and clicking like a badly worn vinyl record. There wasn't a lot of difference between systems. Still, I take your point about valid comparisons, Gareth. I have sensed that too and I agree with chlorofille that this recording seemed dynamic, like the source material but it was also overmodulating (splatter, in radio speak) and this was causing sound to break up on peaks which sounded bad.

Really, the MP3 quality was not the main problem. It could have been flac quality, but the noise and distortion would still have confused whether the amplifier had anything specific to do with sound quality. Am I the only one who hears the dominant background noise and overload artefacts?

I don't want to deter you from your efforts though, Thimios. Good for you, trying to share your listening pleasure and I hope it sounds many times better at home, like P3a and other great sounding amps should. I would work at a home speaker project next, to make sure you get the fidelity that's needed to get the best out of your system.

Hi Ian Finch.
Thank you for your time you spent listening.
As i have mention there is a voice of a tv set (his) in the start of this video.
Is this what you and chlorofille mentioned?
Unfortunately my desktop pc refuses to boot this days.
My laptop is old and the sound is just a poor sound.
I must capture another video ,this time hope with more attention .
Ok just now listening this with headphones and understand the problem.
This video uploaded with this old laptop.I believe that is an issue of sound card.
I must delete this and upload another video when i repair my desctop pc .
best regards and sorry for this.

Last edited:
You heard a difference because both amps were played in the same video. What you didn't hear was 'exactly how' each amp sounds on it's own. If a difference is there, no matter what the MP3 processing did, there is a good chance you can hear a difference. But I'd think it's VERY unlikely that you heard the difference 'as it really is' ! I guess you get my point !:)

Hi Ian Finch.
Thank you for your time you spent listening.
As i have mention there is a voice of a tv set (his) in the start of this video.
Is this what you and chlorofille mentioned?
Unfortunately my desktop pc refuses to boot this days.
My laptop is old and the sound is just a poor sound.
I must capture another video ,this time hope with more attention .
Ok just now listening this with headphones and understand the problem.
This video uploaded with this old laptop.I believe that is an issue of sound card.
I must delete this and upload another video when i repair my desctop pc .
best regards and sorry for this.

Hi Thimios :wave:
We have same amps, don't we ;)

Better to make one video that can play more than one amp...
So the comparison is more fair, only change the amp.
Speakers, source, video taken, etc should be the same.
I'm in the progress making the new P3A PCB,
the big caps is on the middle that supply both channel.

Kind Regards

John

Back to regulated bootstrap and Ian ...

Well Ian using the line of 35 regulated volts which actually is a very wide spread that includes distribution all over preamplifier , tuner and RIAA which at some point includes also the triple selector switch that switches something for the tuner instruments plus some AC for the tuner bulbs ..

When this 35 V suffers from all that and then trying to mimic a 30 V rail via a resistor this a very bad practice ...Especially if something goes wrong to all the above mentioned auxiliary circuits will also have a direct impact to bringing the amplifier out of balance .... Like actually happens a failure in the tuner takes down the 35V into 28 effecting also 12V aux psu resulting offset in the amplifier that protection clicks without amplifier error .

Regulating only the bootstrap is inefficient if implemented like that obviously needs to be regulated in the down side also and then probably totally in the front end with a dedicated psu and probably very close to be effective .

Still i will make my tests which i think that eventually will end up to remove the resistor and tie the bootstrap to the rail of the very stiff power supply 200W at least which is very close located to the amp boards and equipped with 2*10.000 ufd brand new caps .

Kind regards
Sakis

P3A

Some measurments.

Attachments

• DSC06838.JPG
    DSC06838.JPG
    572.4 KB · Views: 784
  • DSC06847.JPG
    DSC06847.JPG
    560.8 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC06846.JPG
    DSC06846.JPG
    562.8 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC06845.JPG
    DSC06845.JPG
    565.1 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC06844.JPG
    DSC06844.JPG
    568.8 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC06843.JPG
    DSC06843.JPG
    556 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC06842.JPG
    DSC06842.JPG
    561.3 KB · Views: 671
  • DSC06841.JPG
    DSC06841.JPG
    567.3 KB · Views: 682
  • DSC06840.JPG
    DSC06840.JPG
    567.5 KB · Views: 712
  • DSC06839.JPG
    DSC06839.JPG
    566.7 KB · Views: 725
P3A

+/-35V
50mA Idle current
-28mV Offset
R Dummy load=8R
C inp.capas.=4u7 electrolytic

Attachments

• DSC06854.JPG
    DSC06854.JPG
    566.9 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC06853.JPG
    DSC06853.JPG
    573.1 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC06852.JPG
    DSC06852.JPG
    565.3 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC06851.JPG
    DSC06851.JPG
    572.3 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC06850.JPG
    DSC06850.JPG
    576.3 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC06849.JPG
    DSC06849.JPG
    562.3 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC06848.JPG
    DSC06848.JPG
    564.7 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC06855.JPG
    DSC06855.JPG
    575.7 KB · Views: 140
I have 1/10,000th the experience of you Sakis so please be patient as I have a different thought on this.

Firstly, a square wave, if an ideal one, has only rising and falling edges. We are looking to see how the amplifier responds to these edges and less at how it behaves during the time between. So at first we really don't care about the fundamental frequency, if it is 1kHz or 10kHz doesn't matter. We focus on the behaviour of the amplifier to the signal where it is changing rapidly.

There is a big danger in working at 10kHz or 20kHz - you increase the power dissipation of the amplifier by an order of magnitude. If you apply a large 20kHz square wave to an amplifier and into a load there is a good chance it is the last time your output devices are functioning.... it is a little safer at 1kHz.

Getting a good square wave isn't always easy. You want really good quality rising and falling edges with no nonsense going on. Well, the oscilloscope test point with 1KHz has been engineered for as close to perfect square wave as possible (within cost of unit) so you have a very nice test signal.

Just a thought.

Gareth ..

testing an amplifier to these edges and above 10KHZ as said it only takes place in very low power ...But yes square wave with capacitive load is a nightmare for the amplifier ..

Ringing there is expected and from the looks of it you may understand many things .

A test as described above will not help much when you spec the amplifier ( except speed probably) But can and will present stability problems if any exist

I like the P3A i make to go easilly above 40KHZ square wave with no problems at all

Kind regards
Sakis

P3A

Square Wave test in these levels(voltages, frequencies) is a stretch test.
Everybody can agree that a stretch test is useful or not.
Post#369.
SINUSOIDAL
1)100Hz/10V RMS
2)240Hz/10V RMS
3)2Khz/10V RMS
4)5Khz/10V RMS
5)10Khz/10V RMS
6)20Khz/10V RMS
SQUARE WAVE
7)100Hz/10V RMS
8)200Hz/10V RMS
9)500Hz/13V RMS
10)1Khz/13V RMS

POST#370
1)2Khz/13V RMS
2)10Khz/13V RMS
3)15Khz/13V RMS
4)20Khz/12.7V RMS
5)30Khz/12V RMS
6)50Khz/11V RMS
7)70Khz/9.8V RMS
8)100Khz/8.1V RMS

Regards.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Back to regulated bootstrap and Ian ...Still i will make my tests which i think that eventually will end up to remove the resistor and tie the bootstrap to the rail of the very stiff power supply 200W at least which is very close located to the amp boards and equipped with 2*10.000 ufd brand new caps ....Sakis
You could be right but we are at a disadvantage, since we still don't know what model this is and the schematic snip doesn't tell us anything more than the supply is "35V regulated". The rest is a mystery that only you can assess. Let's see what you find and the comparitive clipping levels. :)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks Sakis, I found the service manual of 2225L here. I assume the differences are to do with something unimportant like maybe the quadraphonic adaptor, line voltage or FM band range.

Hmm....only 0.5% THD? :D
Still, these are now popular old models, so the distortion must be of the fairly good sounding variety. I used one as a bench amplifier for a few years but never with proper loudspeakers so ignored the sound quality, only being for testing purposes.