P3A Comparison table ( long .... )

speaking of capacitors...... i am thinking of buying one of those lot of 10 from ebay. do they worth as input signal caps?

Attachments

• Untitled12.jpg
    Untitled12.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 754
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 740
Last edited:
Thimios I don't know if my comment complement you or offended you in both cases my intention was to make fun of it ...

Usually with small experience quick look of the schematic and a few calculations is enough to start an amplifier ...

As about the capacitors both of them will work , each and everyone of them will have a different sonic signature which will be extremely hard to measure and/or define by listening ( it will require expert ears , knowledge of the amp it self , and thousands of hours of listening )

Still for my application i choose to go for smaller ( in physical size ) parts often large parts become microphonic and actually ""pick up"" things on the way especially in boards with some complexity like the ones you use worst when the board features zobel on it ( my intetntion is to zobel the amp outside the board ) and even worst with long ground traces .

In Greece we say this is ψιλα γραμματα meaning this is the small stuff and you will eventually get there after very long time of listening and parts swapping .

At this level your approach seems to be even more correct still a bit childish:p but i think as you said you are going to finish the amp be seriously impressed by the result and in the near feature you might go ahead for some refinements !

Kind Regards
Sakis

speaking of capacitors...... i am thinking of buying one of those lot of 10 from ebay. do they worth as input signal caps?

I have them but do not use them because the others sound better to me. I often say that as long as MKP, the difference is not critical. I still think so but to my ears even small difference is critical (if it is what I will have to listen to).

If I have to choose between those MKP and a good Nichicon NP (electrolyt) may be I will choose the latter for its small size (so to prevent noise pickup).

Joined 2010
Paid Member
These are about the cheapest MKP (metallised polypropylene film) caps you can buy. They are Chinese made and I certainly wouldn't rely on them for passive speaker crossovers. Perhaps OK in standard filtering applications where the size doesn't simply cause them to be aerials for EMI and increase the noise level, spoiling any lower distortion advantage.

If they are input caps, keep them off the amplifier board and place at the input source or fit grounded metal shields, as necessary for any huge signal caps in noisy environments like AB power amplifiers.

P3A

Thimios I don't know if my comment complement you or offended you in both cases my intention was to make fun of it ...

Usually with small experience quick look of the schematic and a few calculations is enough to start an amplifier ...

As about the capacitors both of them will work , each and everyone of them will have a different sonic signature which will be extremely hard to measure and/or define by listening ( it will require expert ears , knowledge of the amp it self , and thousands of hours of listening )

Still for my application i choose to go for smaller ( in physical size ) parts often large parts become microphonic and actually ""pick up"" things on the way especially in boards with some complexity like the ones you use worst when the board features zobel on it ( my intetntion is to zobel the amp outside the board ) and even worst with long ground traces .

In Greece we say this is ψιλα γραμματα meaning this is the small stuff and you will eventually get there after very long time of listening and parts swapping .

At this level your approach seems to be even more correct still a bit childish:p but i think as you said you are going to finish the amp be seriously impressed by the result and in the near feature you might go ahead for some refinements !

Kind Regards
Sakis
Sakis i believe you are in a little confused.
I didn't ask anything about capacitors .I mentioned(post#325) an issue about Alex mm pcb .

Last edited:
Sakis i believe you are in a little confused.
I didn't ask anything about capacitors .I mentioned(post#325) an issue about Alex mm pcb .

You have to excuse me since i post in the forum between phone calls , amplifiers and costumers .

Seen the Greek flag and thought that it was your question but it was PANOS AKA maouna ... I presume that the capacitor thing might also be useful for you .

P3A

After first unsuccessful test this time everything is ok.
As i mentioned in previus message,this pcb by Alex mm have an issue with led (v reference)polarity.
This issue has as result a burned tranzistor on ltp and possible fault to 560R(led series resistor).
In this case V= -35v is present on output.
Now all is ok.
Pictures from this first(second)-fire.

Attachments

• DSC06835.JPG
    DSC06835.JPG
    533.5 KB · Views: 830
  • DSC06834.JPG
    DSC06834.JPG
    592.9 KB · Views: 852
  • DSC06833.JPG
    DSC06833.JPG
    553.5 KB · Views: 891
  • DSC06832.JPG
    DSC06832.JPG
    611.9 KB · Views: 931
  • DSC06831.JPG
    DSC06831.JPG
    581.4 KB · Views: 983
  • DSC06836.JPG
    DSC06836.JPG
    573.8 KB · Views: 526
P3A

Looks nice ...do you have a scope or any other test equipment ?

Can we get also pictures of the power supply ( looks quiet beefy ) I wonder about distribution though .

Kind regards
Sakis
Power from a commercial amplifier plus 50.000uf in each rail just for first try
+-32mv offset .
I have oscilloscopes and function generator (not very low distortion type)
I want some time to test this board.
See this test.http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/173462-studio-reference-amplifier-122.html. post#1217

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
.. the designer decided to supply the bootstrap not from rail voltage but from a fully regulated power supply that existed there from the tuner area .... Anyone thinks that this have something to offer more ?
FM varicap tuners often used a regulated 30-40V for the tuning voltage. Perhaps it was a convenient to use this for the front end of the amp too, if only one rail voltage was required to supply the bootstrap circuit. We'd need the schematic to see why an independent voltage was needed to boost the boostrapped side but not the other rail, to balance it, or maybe I'm missing something there.