Output transistor temperature changes with load characteristics..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
because the FETs heating without the loads already

No wonder: high-side transistor has nowhere to pour out it's gate charge before low-side transistor opens, and this is the shoot-through reason.

So...

I don't really understand why to measure (only) without load.

+1 Thats right!

Harder gate pull down, or increased Cgs may help!

And I would add: You've got BAD input front(s) - as I mentioned in my previous post - make them GOOD.

Last edited:
No, they are not. Take a look at the file attached.
by saying "identical" I mean on the basis of components.

you're right, the input signals are not symmetrical. but we are talking about 1-2nS of difference!
if we think the dead time is about 45nS, it is a small difference and no problem i think!

I tried to make match the outputs (it is TL3016's inverted outputs) but whatever I done is not work and then I pushed to the background to solve after shoot through problem.

No wonder: high-side transistor has nowhere to pour out it's gate charge before low-side transistor opens, and this is the shoot-through reason.
correct me if I'm wrong but gate charge of the high side FET can pour out through the fet driver IC it has source and SINK! capability. I dont think this is a shoot through reason. can you explain im more detail..?

And I would add: You've got BAD input front(s) - as I mentioned in my previous post - make them GOOD.

is that really matters 1nS of deviation?

correct me if I'm wrong but gate charge of the high side FET can pour out through the fet driver IC it has source and SINK! capability. I dont think this is a shoot through reason. can you explain im more detail..?

Off course. Look at the attachment.

Red line is the sink (or pour-out) way. So, without load, gate charge goes through lower-side transistor.
In Your case, without load, charge has no way to go unless lower-side transistor is opened.
Later, when lower transistor gets opened, higher one is still opened either. What is the concequence? Right, shoothrough.

Attachments

• SINK way of D-amp High-Side.jpg
    SINK way of D-amp High-Side.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Off course. Look at the attachment.

Red line is the sink (or pour-out) way. So, without load, gate charge goes through lower-side transistor.
In Your case, without load, charge has no way to go unless lower-side transistor is opened.
Later, when lower transistor gets opened, higher one is still opened either. What is the concequence? Right, shoothrough.

the reference of the bootstrap circuit is not ground. So why the current chose the way to gnd? the discharge path according to my knowledge:

Attachments

• bootstrap.JPG
    bootstrap.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 78
14nC Qgs, 5nC Qgd mosfets, 100kHz, low inductance (wide soft switching area), pardon me, what switching losses?

Too high ripple current, false miller triggering, too high di/dt and shoot-through are possible problems for overheating and choosing IRFB3806 with slightly higher charges, lower Rdson, faster body diode and some helpful internal inductances is IMHO going to make things a bit better.

Since this is effectively two bridged single-ended amps, it occurs to me that testing each independently might throw some light on the problem. At least it would tell you if it's a component/wiring fault on one side, or a design fault that affects both. Basically you'd just need a DC-blocking capacitor to ground in place of the output stage not being tested. In fact it probably wouldn't need any board mods to try that, just add an external hardwired HF filter, load and cap.

At least you'd then be armed with the knowledge that either both sides behave identically, or that one side shows an anomaly.

If this has already been tried, apologies as it's a long thread.

14nC Qgs, 5nC Qgd mosfets, 100kHz, low inductance (wide soft switching area), pardon me, what switching losses?

The one that heats them up over 100 Celsius . Fsw is not 100 kHz, but 800 originally.

Too high ripple current,

This was my first idea also, and this because I asked fsw and inductance. But it was not the reason.

false miller triggering, too high di/dt and shoot-through are possible problems for overheating and choosing IRFB3806 with slightly higher charges, lower Rdson, faster body diode and some helpful internal inductances is IMHO going to make things a bit better.

Body diode is really faster, thanks to the lower voltage rating, but there are faster DirectFETs also. And tr=40 ns and tf=47 are very much! (Compared to 5 ns of IRF6645.)

However maybe I judged too fast, because it was specified at Rg=20. With lower Rg it will surely better, but can't tell how much.

Anyway: changing the whole circuit before knowing what is the real problem, doesn't seem to be wise.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.