Output Relays

Those using G5LE type mech relays wonder if something like this would be drop in replacement with SSR. The DIYA store protect uses G5LE type SPDT relays.

Does anyone know if VOM1271 requires regulated or ripple free supply. This follows discussion here.. post no. 545 / 547 onwards

Speaker Turn On Delay and DC Protector Board Set (V3)

Attachments

• 3d1-SSR.png
    3d1-SSR.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 527
  • SCH.png
    SCH.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 281
  • G5LE SSR RELAY-BTM.png
    G5LE SSR RELAY-BTM.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 179
  • G5LE SSR RELAY-TOP.png
    G5LE SSR RELAY-TOP.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 448
  • 3d4-SSR.png
    3d4-SSR.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 447
  • 3D3-G5LE.png
    3D3-G5LE.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 454
  • 3D2-G5LE.png
    3D2-G5LE.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 458
Reactions: 1 users
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
No regulated supply required Prasi.

The LED switches the internal mosfet on with a photo-electric effect so on the output pins you get a current (15uA on the VOM1271 and 25uA on the TLP191).

You need to push about 10 to 15 mA through the LED.

When you select you mosfets for the SSR, make sure they are Logic Level devices - so fully on at about 5 V gate to source voltage. Standard Level devices have a higher threshold.

Hello all, here is something based on above suggestions by Bonsai, the design of pcb for G5LE type EM relay replacement with SSR. Its in a panel of 4 x4, so if one orders 5 pcb, one will get enough to make 20 SSR. I purposely kept smaller panel so that shipping costs are lower. JLCPCB, I think doesn't charge extra for panelized designs also...

Also attached is the sch with few notes as I could gather from my understanding of Bonsai's article, so that even someone new to DIYA can easily build one.

Attachments

• 3D2-G5LE.png
    3D2-G5LE.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 3d1-SSR.png
    3d1-SSR.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 154
  • G5LE SSR RELAY-BTM.png
    G5LE SSR RELAY-BTM.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 142
  • G5LE SSR RELAY-TOP.png
    G5LE SSR RELAY-TOP.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 265
  • SCH.png
    SCH.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 283
  • LAY.png
    LAY.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 237
  • G5LE SSR RELAY - PANEL_2021-05-18.zip
    169 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: 1 user
I have a doubt or 2, glad if some one can answer.

1. Does SSR needs speaker pole to be grounded, my understanding is that since no arc is involved during fault, there no need to.
2. refering datasheet of G5LE page 3 of https://omronfs.omron.com/en_US/ecb/products/pdf/en-g5le.pdf

can we connect pol1 to speaker, pole 4 to ground and pole 3 to amp?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm not really following you on that one. A mechanical relay and an SSR both have the 'in' and 'out' terminals floating so they can be used however you wish within the constraints of isolation voltage between coil and contact (or opto isolation voltage for SSR) and 'withstand' voltage between 'in' and 'out' which is flashover voltage for the contact and FET voltage rating for the SSR.

Here is something I made for a friend who uses G2R relays
panel size is 3 x 5 pcbs. so 5 pcbs will give 75 relay pcbs.

I had placed order for my earlier design using G5L relays in panel form 2x2. JLCPCB did not charge anything extra for panelized design. So USD 8 including shipping for 10 panels or 40 relay pcbs.:D amazing!

regards
prasi

PS: the right side mosfet can be bent backwards and made to rest on the pcb with some insulation material on its tab (if one feels the fets are too close together)

Attachments

• SCH.png
    SCH.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 492
  • G2R-1-E SSR RELAY - PANEL-TOP.png
    G2R-1-E SSR RELAY - PANEL-TOP.png
    128 KB · Views: 472
  • G2R-1-E SSR RELAY - PANEL-STUFFING.png
    G2R-1-E SSR RELAY - PANEL-STUFFING.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 446
  • G2R-1-E SSR RELAY - PANEL-BTM.png
    G2R-1-E SSR RELAY - PANEL-BTM.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 442
  • en-g2r.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 133
  • GERBERS-G2R-1-E SSR RELAY - PANEL_2021-05-24.zip
    560.9 KB · Views: 84
  • JLCPCB-ORDER.png
    JLCPCB-ORDER.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 431
  • LAY.png
    LAY.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Hello all, here is something based on above suggestions by Bonsai, the design of pcb for G5LE type EM relay replacement with SSR. Its in a panel of 4 x4, so if one orders 5 pcb, one will get enough to make 20 SSR. I purposely kept smaller panel so that shipping costs are lower. JLCPCB, I think doesn't charge extra for panelized designs also...

Also attached is the sch with few notes as I could gather from my understanding of Bonsai's article, so that even someone new to DIYA can easily build one.

Here is something I made for a friend who uses G2R relays
panel size is 3 x 5 pcbs. so 5 pcbs will give 75 relay pcbs.

I had placed order for my earlier design using G5L relays in panel form 2x2. JLCPCB did not charge anything extra for panelized design. So USD 8 including shipping for 10 panels or 40 relay pcbs.:D amazing!

regards
prasi

PS: the right side mosfet can be bent backwards and made to rest on the pcb with some insulation material on its tab (if one feels the fets are too close together)

With regret I have to inform that I have found an error with both PCB designs, basically with coil polarity in the schematic is other way round (in my eagle library). So please dis-regard both of them.

if moderators could delete both the posts, that would be nice. Sorry for inconvenience. :eek:

With regret I have to inform that I have found an error with both PCB designs, basically with coil polarity in the schematic is other way round (in my eagle library). So please dis-regard both of them.

if moderators could delete both the posts, that would be nice. Sorry for inconvenience. :eek:

prasi, in this post I can't see any errors... all connections are OK, even the resistor on the LED's cathode is OK, it is a current limiting element after all... so polarity should be OK too. In the other post, sounds like you have flipped VOM1271, thu this can be fixed easily.. I don't see any point deleting those posts, posting a fix solves the issues in this post.. any member using someone's else design, should be aware they are supposed to review the design after all.