Outdo B&C 21DS115 and upgrade for modular sub system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...Soo, I made a prototype enclosure.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Can´t believe the accuracy of my porth length wild guess. 29Hz without padding (will push it to 28 with padding). About exactly as I expected.
Plugged it to the amp and listened/measured.
The output at the low end is still there, not weaker than in larger box.
I´m amazed of the speaker. It´s sheer power (motor force) still is able to drive the bassreflex port even in small volume of the box.
Bassy songs sound more "with ease", yet I don´t really feel like it goes significantly deeper. Things rattle a lot in the room, even at 25-26Hz, that is a good sign, yet my ears say NO from 29Hz down. Diminishing returns so to speak. I will leave it at that.

The box is smaller than the original one, and even with few centimetres shaved off of each side, handling of the box alone improved significantly.

On the other hand, I effed up on the ergonomics. Mean WHEELS.
The back side of the box doesn´t allow for usable wheels at this moment. Yes, the box could roll on the flat ground with small wheels, but that is not what I´m looking for. Big wheels either wont fit, or will stick too much out of the box. I really wonder, if extended "skids/sledge" on the bottom of the box, and additional two wheeled handler/transporter wouldn´t be better idea after all. Decisions, decisions!

Anyway, I´m looking forward to build two of these next year.

compact sealed box with genuine 120dB low end

The attached is 125 litre internal volume, not too shabby but it needs a lot of power to compensate for the small box / low efficiency.

Being a sealed box the low end rolls off gently and is easy to Eq for synth bass or guitar /drums etc.

Good 2Kw / 3Kw amps running at half power are ideal for max SPL but even a good 1Kw amp running at 85% volume goes loud and clean.

The Neo driver is light so even with a heavy (18 or 24mm) ply cabinet you have a very portable live sound bass rig.
Cheers
Alex.

Attachments

• Beyma 21 inch Neo motor live sound driver.pdf
    85.7 KB · Views: 63
A lot of power in a small sealed box, that sounds like trouble to the speaker. I like to listen to infinite sine wave bass lines at 30Hz so to speak. :)
And lot of money.
It doesn´t look like the "power density for the volume" ratio is good either.
Also less motor force, probably lower Xmax, pricier than 21DS115.
That is too much of a compromise.

Took me a moment to figure that out (loading an image). I always forget about this feature....
The next one is from further away. Looks tiny, yet still is not compact enough to encourage you to man handle the box when you need to move it every time. Some kind of aid is still needed.
I have to figure it out.

Obviously, that´s the reason I go with B&C. They pack a lot of motor force in one transducer, and it shows in the performance per box volume.

Attachments

• bas2.jpg
    bas2.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 102
Heh, that would most probably only work for moving, but not much anything else. Ease of building and box volume would suffer too, and not to mention - this bloody speaker can develop force in excess of 800N, if not 1000N peak. Than thing wants to move, I can guarantee you... Even in this box I have it now with little underpowered amp, It felt like badly loaded old washing machine at times! The box with the speaker (15mm ply) is like 40kg now, and the force is 80kg.... Of course it is not direct force to the enclosure, but it really moves the box anyway. Nobody ever heard of "drag race competitions of bass bins" ? That´s common quality indicator for some. :)
You certainly don´t want to make this thing tall.
By the way, the port is "folded" now too.

Last edited:
Yes, I like that too. The front wall of the box is used maximally efficiently. Yet it was more "front side" efficient approach with the original box with triangular bassreflex ports in each corner. That way, this box looks bigger on first glance.
Because of that, my brain is still "ball of wire" and in confusion about what to think about that box.

Heh, that would most probably only work for moving, but not much anything else. Ease of building and box volume would suffer too, and not to mention - this bloody speaker can develop force in excess of 800N, if not 1000N peak. Than thing wants to move, I can guarantee you... Even in this box I have it now with little underpowered amp, It felt like badly loaded old washing machine at times! The box with the speaker (15mm ply) is like 40kg now, and the force is 80kg.... Of course it is not direct force to the enclosure, but it really moves the box anyway. Nobody ever heard of "drag race competitions of bass bins" ? That´s common quality indicator for some. :)
You certainly don´t want to make this thing tall.
By the way, the port is "folded" now too.

That is a concern I have with these drivers. Big output in small box equals shaking...force cancelling mounting would work well if size wasn't an issue(hence wanting to use 2x15" instead of a 21", although not tuned as low).

I think you're at the box size limit for that driver and tuning! It really is quite small for what you can get out of it.

and not to mention - this bloody speaker can develop force in excess of 800N, if not 1000N peak. Than thing wants to move, I can guarantee you... Even in this box I have it now with little underpowered amp, It felt like badly loaded old washing machine at times!

Haha..I hear you!
That's the exact reason I went to a dual 18" PPSL....not for the supposed reduction in harmonic distortion...but for the overall reduction in cabinet vibration.
The 18n862 singles, either sealed or vented, simply loved to dance too much.

The dual opposed drivers work oh so well...
I can almost leave a beer on top the sub :p

Yes, these things, downsizing and technology, bring new kind of issues, never causing problems before. Might sound funny if it is not your problem yet, then it becomes quite bad issue. You got good solution though.

While I mean the downsizing seriously, I cannot afford to put two 18"s in a box. Also I would like to have two bins. That wound mean I cannot really stack these together or against wall.
BMS drivers are also beasts, with great excursion limits making me drool over these. Too bad they didn´t ramp up the motor force too. It would be with the IPALs right there....

I have redesigned my original plan, so the 100mm wheels would fit.
I´ll try that one.

New prototype of the box has been made, with 100mm wheels that fit in.
Welp, Not exactly as I expected - the box really needs to be angled a lot to go safely (balanced) above the ground. One really needs to get down to it, to pull it well.
It has been pointed to me, yet I didn´t think it´s a biggie. Once things got real, it is not so easy.

So the "corner" handle is not very ergonomic for rolling around, yet straight handle cannot be put and used on the top desk, as the box would not be balanced well for pulling.
I´m now considering something like a suitcase handle and other solutions.
What a drag, to get just simple box easy to lug around...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.