Oppo's BDP105 - discussions, upgrading, mods...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The AC coupling caps are to be used in AC domain, This it mean that the main appreciations and voltage rating for these caps it have to be in this respect. On a XLR output it can be voltages peak to peak up to 9v. A cap is to be rated almost three times higher voltage than the targeted voltage to be used to (AC domain). So...
6,3v rating is not good for a AC coupling cap used in that place you intend to use it.
A minimum 16v rated AC cap is a good compromise voltage/dimensions in this case. As higher the capacity, the better the results (as ESR too)...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Indeed, the bigger the capacity (filtering after rectifiers), the better the results. There are some limits because the dimensions, but as a rule, use the biggest capacity you can for the available dimensions and the voltage rating for the targeted circuits...

BTW, the voltage level you found on the outputs is not good at all. You should measure the offset right before the AC coupling caps (opposite AC coupling cap pole/leg to the one going to the RCA/XLR connector). This is measured referring to GND. As normal, you should find the offset as few +/-mV (into 10mV)...

Thanks for the help Coris
It seems to be a pain to do.Is there any point on the pcb you can measure it without flipping the board over and measuring it at the capacitor pin?
I found some 16v black gates to replace them in case its to high.
I have yet to try replacing the LM317,337 input caps but I def think It sounds better without the originals there.
Maybe the original caps where covering up the improvement of fitting the 22,000uf Mundorfs and now they are removed the Mundorfs have a better chance to shine.
Replacing the power diodes with Schottkies bumped the voltage up a bit so Analogue is now 21.7v and Digital 8.1v.
I will be looking at the SMPS soon.I have noticed the 105 seems to benefit from a mains filter.Thanks for all the help Coris.

John

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Offset measurement points...

Attachments

• OffsetMeas.jpg
    OffsetMeas.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 308
Thanks Coris
Was going to put up a picture of the power amp input but as the dc offset seems to be ok will not bother
Will remove single ended 100ufs and see if amp ok with it then if ok remove the balanced output ones.
Not much left to do to analogue side after that so will start on digital supply and progress towards 9108 de coupling

John

Ta for info Coris

Amp working fine with the ouput caps removed.Noticable improvement for the removal of just one cap(and two on balanced output)
The voltage has risen with the Schottky diodes.So is 10v cap ok with 8.1v digital supply going through it?
I will do the adjustment pin to ground mod with a cap on the 317 and 337.

John