Open source speaker project?

choose you way!

• 3 way classic - limited (Under ~500$ Drivers and Parts)

Votes: 46 27.1%
  • 3 way classic - High end (Above ~500$ Drivers and Parts)

Votes: 50 29.4%
  • 3 way horn loaded - limited (Under ~500$)

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • 3 way horn loaded - High end (Above ~500$)

Votes: 28 16.5%
  • 2 way classic - limited (Under ~500$)

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • 2 way classic - High end (Above ~500$)

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • 2 way horn loaded - limited (Under ~500$)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 way horn loaded - High end (Above ~500$)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm not wrong, the DIY Audio 3-way reference project has ended with the choice of Seas CA26RFX, ER18RNX, 27TDFC.
It looks like you are likely wrong in the sense of people reaching agreement. Requests for the purpose/objectives to be made clear are still occurring on the last page. A 7" woofer for a midrange with a 1" tweeter on a flat baffle is likely to have a fair amount of the sound of a 2 way rather than a reference speaker. This suggests failing to reach agreement was correct if a reference speaker in any sort of justifiable sense was an objective. Of course we don't know because the objectives were never stated and so people chatted about this and that in the way they would down the pub and the way they are in this thread. This is fine for the many that want to chat but frustrating for the few that might be genuinely interested in the project.

In contrast, here is an example of a collaborative(ish) speaker design that did progress because the main objectives were made clear in the opening post and the OP made decisions after a period of discussion. Polling was used to resolve detailed decisions and not major ones like the type of speaker.

That's an excellent idea as builders can have a hard time navigating and finding what's hot and what's not in the various types of designs. If a good example is given for the various categories, would be helpful for builders.

I might kick off a thread and if moderators don't think it's appropriate then they can delete it. If they like the idea it can become a sticky.

After seeing your start-up thread I think this may provide a useful guidance to people looking for a doable project. There are many well documented projects suitable for a mention. To name a few:

The open baffle example from Pano/John Busch has been fun for lots of people:
Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Based on number of views Joe Rasmussen's project could fit that list:
The "Elsinore Project" Thread

An example of the Unity/Synergy kind from bwaslo could make the cut:
Small Syns

And another by weltersys:
SynTripP: 2-way 2-part Virtual Single Point Source Horn

Just a few examples of well documented speakers that probably can be made with high level of success by following those threads.

Even the Beyond the Ariel thread has the recipe inside for something special, though only one raw prototype was build as far as I know. You'd have to look hard to find it though, as the thread was used for a lot of debate.

Last edited:
I think this project will be difficult to get off the ground, and the rest of the thread is a good indication as to why.
So, now what?

Chris

I haven't participated this discussion earlier, because I'm perhaps too sceptical.

Like Chris, I have found that there are many excellent and different diy-speaker recipes ready in the web, for every taste. When we start thinking of reference/high end level, personal factors get very important - the type of speaker system and drivers used etc. A committee's consensus of "best" will not be really best for many, just because of too many compromises made!

Actually the end result could be as bad as the human body and mind, not just a camel! YouTube
2_-_Evolution%5B1%5D.png

But still, the discussion is interesting! I like to read educated and experienced reasoning about all things considered.

Last edited:
When we start thinking of reference/high end level, personal factors get very important
High end is an audiophile word without a precise definition but tends to be associated with things like expensive, sounds attractive and prestige. Reference is an older word from the high fidelity days implying neutral and accurate. Given expected project constraints on size, budget and such two completely different designs could be judged equally high end making progress towards a widely agreed design difficult. It is easier with a reference design because the technical performance should guide the choices. There is nothing wrong with either as an objective but there is a fair bit wrong with not being clear about which it is.

Can I suggest making the prices a bit more reasonable. A budget 2 way and a budget 3 way do not cost the same amount of money. I have suggested a modest priced 3 way above but $500 won't buy the drivers here in Europe let alone crossover components, wood and bits and bobs.

A dollar buys significantly more speaker parts in the US than it does here in Europe and many other parts of the world. Suggest working in US prices.

I understand, but since we can't have the price differences around the world, we can have the US$ as the base price, and 500$ line is not a fixed thing and we do not have to aim and hit that, we can end up w a 300$ project or a 600$ one, and also i did not included the cabinet since it is a whole different story and also maybe mid-range cross parts since it can also get crazzyyy.

Dare I mention this without messing with my "karma" ...

I recall another audio site a few years back had the "Econowave" - this design is definitely in the 2-way horn-loaded limited category, but for anyone looking in that category, it may be worth looking up that design.

ETA:

Looking at the voting, that category is currently at #2. I wouldn't want people to duplicate other efforts - on the other hand, why limit the thread to the one winner (as it seems designed to do)? What about having separate threads for the top two or three categories? Or would that spread the forum interest and expertise too thin?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
we have the poll going :)

And it has no full range choices… so is incomplete.

As suggested, a list of proven designs and where to find details is likely a better place to start than trying to come up with any speaker that will get any traction.

And if going into the diyAudio store, needs to be unique and not hard to source and ship. Amd likely not too expensive because diyAudio would have to fund inventory.

dave

Perhaps two categories could be made: the diyaudio.com speaker and the ACA speaker.

About the full-range? I do not care. Morgan Jones says at the end of his article that the Arpeggio have eliminated their LS3/5A, if the Arpeggio sounds better than a LS3/5A are more than enough for me.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
And it has no full range choices… so is incomplete.

As suggested, a list of proven designs and where to find details is likely a better place to start than trying to come up with any speaker that will get any traction.

And if going into the diyAudio store, needs to be unique and not hard to source and ship. Amd likely not too expensive because diyAudio would have to fund inventory.

dave

There are a zillion fullrange design on this forum, hardly need more. Please point out some good reasonably priced 3 ways on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.