Open source speaker project?

choose you way!

• 3 way classic - limited (Under ~500$ Drivers and Parts)

Votes: 46 27.1%
  • 3 way classic - High end (Above ~500$ Drivers and Parts)

Votes: 50 29.4%
  • 3 way horn loaded - limited (Under ~500$)

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • 3 way horn loaded - High end (Above ~500$)

Votes: 28 16.5%
  • 2 way classic - limited (Under ~500$)

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • 2 way classic - High end (Above ~500$)

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • 2 way horn loaded - limited (Under ~500$)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 way horn loaded - High end (Above ~500$)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bass implementation is one of the crucial design choices, and it all depends on the design targets. Since we don't have a clear and detailed list of targets, I based the Monkey Coffin suggestion (#9 in your list) on my interpretations of what members posted so far. One of the recurring themes were that (1) the speaker should work well with "weak" amplifiers (ACA, small tube amps, etc.), and (2) the speaker should be easy to make for novice builders...

couldn't help myself.
did a quick winisd and this looks promising:
Ciare FXE 10-2.5

also this :
Eminence LA12850

I would encourage you to add the option of a larger three way with 12" or 15" woofers, easier to maintain 8ohm with good sensitivity and bass extension.

This intrigues me. I've been following this thread with great interest, but I am one of the technical knowledge lacking readers. If this project does come to fruition, for me to build it, it would need to be of lesser complexity, as far aa the cabinetry. I love the idea of the NS or Big Harbeth approach, but would hope for as straight forward of an approach with the cabinet internals. I'm in a position where overall size isn't a limiting factor, but full range capabilities, with no need for a sub are top of my personal wish list. Passive crossover to be used with a 2 channel amp also. I've never built a speaker from scratch, only rebuilt and modified existing cabinets. I primarily listen to classic rock, progressive rock, and a lot of electric jazz fusion, with funk, soul, and a good amount of british electric guitarists. Glenn.

I would encourage you to add the option of a larger three way with 12" or 15" woofers, easier to maintain 8ohm with good sensitivity and bass extension.

I like the idea Pida put out in post #310 (see attachment). One could utilize this Thiel like design with a single 12" woofer such as SB 34NRX75-6 in a sealed box for acceptable bass extension and not bad sensitivity. There may be other woofers that might work, but I have not found many that model well in a sealed enclosure that goes as deep as the SB Acoustic model mentioned. I'm still very much a newbie at this hobby but after building (3) typical rectangle style enclosures its time to look at something a little more unique. I will continue to follow this thread or any others that may spin off from this with great interest to continue learning along the way.

Best,
Rich

Attachments

• _DSC7740.jpg
    _DSC7740.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 171
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I like the idea Pida put out in post #310 (see attachment). One could utilize this Thiel like design with a single 12" woofer such as SB 34NRX75-6 in a sealed box for acceptable bass extension and not bad sensitivity. There may be other woofers that might work, but I have not found many that model well in a sealed enclosure that goes as deep as the SB Acoustic model mentioned. I'm still very much a newbie at this hobby but after building (3) typical rectangle style enclosures its time to look at something a little more unique. I will continue to follow this thread or any others that may spin off from this with great interest to continue learning along the way.

Best,
Rich

I like it!
simple but stately.

This intrigues me. I've been following this thread with great interest, but I am one of the technical knowledge lacking readers. If this project does come to fruition, for me to build it, it would need to be of lesser complexity, as far aa the cabinetry. I love the idea of the NS or Big Harbeth approach, but would hope for as straight forward of an approach with the cabinet internals. I'm in a position where overall size isn't a limiting factor, but full range capabilities, with no need for a sub are top of my personal wish list. Passive crossover to be used with a 2 channel amp also. I've never built a speaker from scratch, only rebuilt and modified existing cabinets. I primarily listen to classic rock, progressive rock, and a lot of electric jazz fusion, with funk, soul, and a good amount of british electric guitarists. Glenn.
Thanks! Such information is EXACTLY what we need to figure out ihr design goals.

I like it!
simple but stately.
I think it would fit my goals nicely. The wife gave me the go ahead last night to start pulling supplies together to build it.:D I'm going to head down tomorrow and purchase some 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood. I have mids and tweeters already. So only need to purchase woofers. I can't hardly wait until the snow starts flying so I can dedicate some serious time to this build.

Best Regards,
Rich

Montana, speakers shown on the have 90l per cabinet, so it would accomodate 2xNE265W-8 in BR, or 2xWO24P-8 in Closed cabinet with Hypex FAxxx which would enable equalization.
For the mid and tweeter there is option to implement following combination:
SatoriWG7 :: Pkaudio
or any suitable 7" midwoofer/midrange.

Best,
Rich

Attachments

• 20180713_214917.jpg
    20180713_214917.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 173

hey Glenn. I m more or less listening to same, from old school rock and blues to progressive rock and metal, so a well behave low mid is important for me, keep us updated and let us know which design you like better, hopefully we will have a poll soon.

Best,
Rich
The SB 34NRX75-6 is specified to 90 dB at 2.8V. Subtract baffle step (3-6 dB) and you and up around 85 dB. Also, the impedance of this driver is rather low. Overall, that will NOT make good friends with small/weak amps.

Why do you argue for a closed box? What is the goal here?

Best,
Rich

I do have a SBA NRX myself and I don't think you can beat the quality/performance for that price range, unfortunately they do not have great sensitivity which is a shame :(

Edit: Just saw mbrennwa reply, he beat me to it :D

I would still like (for a separate thread) to see a 3-way horn system for $500 and under. It would have to be "all horn" (no direct radiator) and ideally $500 to cover the driver cost for a pair. Finding a good compression driver cheap or high output cone midrange to couple to a horn would take some luck/searching.

The SB 34NRX75-6 is specified to 90 dB at 2.8V. Subtract baffle step (3-6 dB) and you and up around 85 dB. Also, the impedance of this driver is rather low. Overall, that will NOT make good friends with small/weak amps.

Why do you argue for a closed box? What is the goal here?
Yes, it lacks in sensitivity compared to others but could the designer move the woofer lower on baffle to mitigate baffle step some? The room size that these will occupy is not huge so 3-4 db loss is more like it. As for small/ weak amps, it is not my vision to go that route currently. If a bigger amp is required, then that will become my next purchase. Lastly, I'm not hung up on sealed vs. ported. It is the fact everything that I have built thus far has been ported and it is time to try something different. Simple as that. My goals may venture away from others here because I'm not ready for the more complex builds like the Yamaha NS5000 but I want something different then what I already have. It does not seem practical to expect that everyone will agree on every facet/ consideration of speaker building. I'm still a novice here but it appears that no matter what there is compromises when it comes to speaker building. For me, getting the bass correct and to my liking has been the most challenging. Thus, I'm ready to try something bigger in a sealed box to achieve the dynamic bass I'm after. If I want something polite there is other speakers in the house to listen to.:) I want this beast to 'Rock'!

Best,
Rich

Montana, speakers shown on the have 90l per cabinet, so it would accomodate 2xNE265W-8 in BR, or 2xWO24P-8 in Closed cabinet with Hypex FAxxx which would enable equalization.
For the mid and tweeter there is option to implement following combination:
SatoriWG7 :: Pkaudio
or any suitable 7" midwoofer/midrange.

Thanks for the added info Pida. I was most interested in using this design as a guide with slight modifications to size but not an exact clone. I already have some drivers that need a home.:) Midrange: Sb Acoustics 15MFC30-8 5". Tweeter: either Dayton RST28A-4 or SS R2604/83000. So, all that remains for driver purchase would be a suitable woofer (preferably a 12" woofer). Seems like it would make a nice enough Classic 3 way.

Best,
Rich

have you check out The BMF1 suggested by linesource ? if I had the room and money I would definitely go for it, that thing is a beast ! :D
I most certainly did!:D It would certainly fit the bill. My reservations with that build is twofold. 1. the overall foot print is huge. 2. It would require that I purchase all new drivers. I would like to make use of some drivers that I already have on hand.

Best,
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.