Open Source Monkey Box

I did some tests to find a magnet that would hold well through the wood. Then yes, drilled a hole from the back of the baffle within a few mm of the front surface and embedded the magnets in epoxy.

Attachments

• OSMC-Baffle-Magnets_01.jpg
    OSMC-Baffle-Magnets_01.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 616
  • OSMC-Baffle-Magnets_02.jpg
    OSMC-Baffle-Magnets_02.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 643
Alright Matthias!! What in the world?
This is NOT so subtle a tweak! Not in my system anyway... It's instantly "more" in the upper mids....I love it. MORE = more details, something new that wasn't there before? I'll know more when I go back to previous at some point..."Balance" could be the word? as opposed to "more"?

Is that what tracks with your intent? Is this backed by charts? Just curious.
...So, THANKS for continuing to play. Haha.

Mathias,

Is there an update to the final XO schematic for this update or is the jury out still?

Best,
Anand.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Incoming inspection of a delivery from TLHP today...

Although Mundorf is from the same city as were I live, I bought them in France, because they had the best prices.
Manufactured in Cologne/Ger, send to Rennes/F, unpacked/packed, send to Cologne again :whazzat:

Attachments

• tlhp.jpg
    tlhp.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 316
Here you can see my speakers. Finished last week. Playing at the moment with my Marantz and Fiio Player.

Open points:

- black screws
- chassis colour for the crossover
- loudspeaker stands - houpfuly I will finshed the stands next month - than I can move to living room:)

Sound is realy impessive.

Attachments

• IMG_9517_1.jpg
    IMG_9517_1.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 596
Oh YES!!!!! Fantastic! Great job! Enjoy. Love the white. :D:D

On a side note...I recently built a second pair of pseudo-DIY speaks—a modified 2 way based on the JBL 328c which is designed for in wall applications, it has an on board Xover... you can separate the back loaded tweeter and put it in a horn lens JBL makes with an L-pad to control it on top of a front ported box ~16.5Hx14Wx12.5"D box... This is part of my "2 system dream"...and it's been awesome to run these next to the OSMC for an A/B frame of reference. Makes me wonder all over how great the OSMC are. To be fair the JBLs are actually totally competent in a standalone world, punchy and fun—but they really are not comparable to the OSMCs "proper 3-way" in terms of details, mid-range, and bass extension (I didn't think they would be, 8" and all...but had to make stuff, and the project crossed my path—and contrast is always good IMO).

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Dominic,

I would like to add that sound is relative so a lot of my decision was made not only on the endorsements of the sound like pfarrell's but also on what I have and the likely betterment and also what extra I would have to spend over the cost of the monkey's to get the same or better sound.

I will only know the answer once they are up and running but I was convinced enough to forge ahead.

Don

Don,

I understand. The reason for me being so picky is that I already have an extremely capable 3-way speaker in the Audio Technology 3-Way classic. So I just wonder if it is worth the effort to build the OSMC. But I think that my curiosity is starting to win me over.

I think that I will go for an OSMC between the original size and the size you are aiming for.. we will see.

Have you guys considered having the midrange and tweeter isolated from the air pressure generated by the woofer? I was thinking of encapsulating the midrange and the tweeter in some way.

/Dominic

Those look like great speakers. I have no way of commenting since I haven't heard them...BUT... If we dare to subscribe a little bit to the equation of cost vs./equals quality—potentially nonsense at certain levels of audio and in certain categories, and completely when tastes are involved—so, generally speaking—the OSMC are easily double the parts cost, if you factor in the retail markups for the AT-3WC. Doesn't make them "better" of course. "Bigger" likely does though. 12" woofer vs 10" in? Don't see the woofer dims anywhere in the documentation, so guessing based on cabinet dims. Plus bigger cabinet. In my setup—I don't want for more bass, at all—at the "normal" OSMC size. I'm sure the room is a factor—my room isn't small IMO. Also, the specs on the AT-3WC state min 20W amps?

I don't have any technical knowledge specific to your isolation question—but to my eyes and physical examination—the Volt mid and this specific Scan-speak tweeter both seem completely sealed at the rear. I also, personally, like to build things as they were designed first—then make tweaks—after I have some understanding of the designed baseline. I bought another set of ports to play with length—haven't gotten around to it. The spacing inside between all the drivers is perfectly tight—not sure how one might encapsulate them. You can't really tell this from the baffle—the Volt mid is huge—it's within mm of the woofer rabbet—see pic.

Attachments

• OSMC-Finish_06.jpg
    OSMC-Finish_06.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 391
The reason for me being so picky is that I already have an extremely capable 3-way speaker in the Audio Technology 3-Way classic. So I just wonder if it is worth the effort to build the OSMC.

The AT-3WC is a good speaker, but it's a bit different than the OSMC. Looking at Troels' website, I don't find any off-axis measurements, so I it's hard to say anything about the overall sonic balance of the AT-3WC. The OSMC was designed to provide smooth off-axis response, and the power response was optimized for linearity. The waveguides on the midrange and the tweeter really do good things there.

Also, the OSMC has much steeper xover filters, which reduces vertical lobing.

Finally, the AT-3WC has slightly lower sensitivity, and the impedance curve is not as flat (especially with the upper bass-reflex peak). This may be relevant if you are into "weak" amps (low-power or poor damping factor).

These are just a few things that crossed my mind. There are many more differences! Building and comparing different speakers is a great way to learn about why speakers can sound so different. Enjoy the journey!

Have you guys considered having the midrange and tweeter isolated from the air pressure generated by the woofer? I was thinking of encapsulating the midrange and the tweeter in some way.

pfarrell is right. The tweeter and the midrange are entirely encapsulated already, so there is no point in adding additional encapsulation.

... Building and comparing different speakers is a great way to learn about why speakers can sound so different. Enjoy the journey!...

These other DIY speaks are totally worth building (see pic). Have some unique attributes, but don't even come close the OSMC! I kinda expected this...but now I KNOW! Too fun.

Attachments

• PF-JBL-328c_01.jpg
    PF-JBL-328c_01.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 474
  • PF-JBL-328c_02.jpg
    PF-JBL-328c_02.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 395
Hi Guys,

Thanks for being so encouraging! :)

I always tend to think that the next build should be the "definitive" speaker.. but being honest with myself I know that the most fun is exploring new designs.. thats the most fun about this hobby.

I have found that it is hard to source the VM752 for the moment. I contacted Falcon Acoustics in UK since they state on their website the Volt speakers are subject to extended delivery times.. however they did not answer my question on how long the lead times are.
I also tried to contact Solen in Canada and they answered that the earliest possible delivery is feb -22. Moreover the shipping cost to Sweden was 126 USD!! Woohaa!!

/Dominic

Last edited: