OPA627 identification problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I asked USAcaps about whether one of these is fake. Here is the response:

"Hi Boris -
What I've sold you is genuine Burr Brown. There are many different markings on the parts by Burr Brown over the years. There can be variations by lot codes even.

Of course the true test is in how they sound and how they perform."

I think that maybe he could be right about different markings for BB chips over the years. What about that Texas Instruments guy, maybe he didn't try hard enough to find whether these lot numbers are genuine or not. All of this is very confusing, so I think the sound will be an ultimate judge in this matter.

Michael,

This certainly does become more interesting or frustrating depending on your point of view. Discounting the markings on yours, I also note the chips are totally made different. Different case moldings, different indexing, and different leg stampings. Either (IMHO) one is fake, or both are.
:confused:

Hello all -
Thanks to Rabbitz for pointing me towards this thread. I am the seller of the OPA627's in question.

Burr Brown (like many manufacturers) has marked their parts differently through the years. Sometimes the logo is bright white, sometime it's very faint. There are differences by lot code and by date code. I have bought and sold Burr Brown for some time and am quite sure I have never had any fakes.

I'd like to address the pricing issue....My prices are cheap because I buy them cheap. I buy many of my components (not just op amps) through surplus channels. Often manufacturers end production of an item and sell off their components quickly to recoup their investment in the parts.

If you look at my store, you can see that I sell a great variety of parts and often my prices are below traditional catalogue or store prices. Are those parts fake because they're cheaper than Digikey? No, they're bought at the surplus level which provides better pricing.

I welcome the opportunity to address any further concerns.

Regards,
Sam

Sam,
Thanks for taking the time to post to us here, my stock in ya just went up. Perhaps is a little of the fake transistor burning that fed my skepticisim but I certainly would bow to the knowledge of those that have dealt with BB products for "years", I haven't. Would be nice if they were more consistant, we wouldn't have wasted the bandwidth.

Ron

approse said:
Sam,
Thanks for taking the time to post to us here, my stock in ya just went up. Perhaps is a little of the fake transistor burning that fed my skepticisim but I certainly would bow to the knowledge of those that have dealt with BB products for "years", I haven't. Would be nice if they were more consistant, we wouldn't have wasted the bandwidth.

Ron

I echo that sentiment. Having consistant markings would be nice, but a clever fake would always catch the unwary.

Don't regret the bandwidth - we have all learnt from this thread, and as we find different appearing 627's we can park their images here. Hopefully, we never actually find a fake :)

Michael

Sam,

Thanks for the explanation! Sorry if I suspected products you sell, but this forum and all the bad experiences I read about made me a bit sceptical when I don't buy from an authorized dealer. First I was confused why did you pack two totaly different chips in one package (from the pic in post #1) which you shipped to me. My friend (Daniel) also got the same thing (mixed chips) from you. It's a bit confusing, don't you think? :confused: So, that led me to belive one of these is fake, or maybe both of them.

Just one more thing. These chips are single channel, so when selling a lot of 2 (like in mine and my friends case), they should at least look the same (if that shows when and where they were made). :cool:

no it is not confusion... he doesn't have to hand match a pair of identical opamps with identical datasheets... that would take time= money.. you should have just ask for it, maybe he could have made you a matched deal .. not everybody is thinking stereo-audio you know ... there's more electronics out there that could use a pair of opa627s...

go to sleep bbakota2000..... :whazzat:

btw
Didn't you at time time think of:

1] the damage this kind of posting do to the diy electronics enthousiasts
2] to actually measure the opamps, before posting such a post
3] to check with the BB/TI website or pictures on the web?

tschrama said:
no it is not confusion... he doesn't have to hand match a pair of identical opamps with identical datasheets... that would take time= money.. you should have just ask for it, maybe he could have made you a matched deal .. not everybody is thinking stereo-audio you know ... there's more electronics out there that could use a pair of opa627s...

go to sleep bbakota2000..... :whazzat:

btw
Didn't you at time time think of:

1] the damage this kind of posting do to the diy electronics enthousiasts
2] to actually measure the opamps, before posting such a post
3] to check with the BB/TI website or pictures on the web?

I see you have an attitude problem. WTF? Who said anything about hand matching?
As I said before, they should at least look the same. That means that they were made at the same plant, so one less reason to worry about. When I recieved them like this, I can only suspect something is wrong. I know that's way above your brain capacity, but I surely hope you'll understand.

sorry m8, no attitude problem but.........

just because two identical opamps look different, doesn't mean anything, anything at all it wrong with them .. there's no reason why they should be from the same fab plant, did you or the seller specify that? .. so you should NOT expect something is wrong .. if you want the same text and color, that means selecting pairs, doesn't it? By hand, doesn't it? so .. hand-matched-paires is what you are talking about: not getting it, not specifying it, but expecting it, and finaly trashing the good reputation it ..

did you expect any apluase for this?

nc

I have never seen a fake IC being reported on this forum, only false acusations

let's just leave it to that... there's more harm done allready, then any good can come of this thread..

tschrama,

I don't think anybody shares your opinion. Sam explained this issue from his point of view. TI guy told that they don't mark their opamps like the chip on the right hand side is marked. I still think there is something suspicious, but I just don't care anymore. I won't spend my energy on endless discussions with someone who doesn't understand.

EOD

Prefacing this by saying that there is a limit to what I can say and what I say is purely me speaking.

1) IC's are counterfited, this I know to be fact.

2) It is routine to have several assembly houses with very different marking capabilities.

3) The OPA627 is fabricated on a very old (by industry standards) process that is hightly specialized for certain products. It would therefore be highly unlikely that anyone would make fake OPA627's.

4) You can remove the package matierial and leave the chip unharmed with a small jet of boiling nitric acid and see for sure. SY could advise you on the proper safety issues.

scott wurcer said:

3) The OPA627 is fabricated on a very old (by industry standards) process that is hightly specialized for certain products. It would therefore be highly unlikely that anyone would make fake OPA627's.

What about scrubbing off the marks from some other DIP08 chip, and marking it as BB OPA627? Somebody in this thread mentioned he saw people scrubbing off the marks on top of the chips, at some shop in Singapore. That's not so dumb idea when you look at the price for a single OPA627.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.