• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

OPA1656: High-Performance CMOS Audio Op Amp

Good to hear :) glad that you have provided your listening impressions of the part. I guess I am going to have to design something to make use of the part, a new pre-amp comes to mind, for another time.
Funny, how at the bottom of my page, they are advertising the Burson "Supreme Sound V5 Audio Opamp" and I believe the OPA1656 is just as good, if not better, at a fraction of the price. But it has a lifetime warranty :)

As in the past it was used as dual in my rig but there only the final output stage was biased - so only class A biased on the B / second op-amp section of OPA1656, the one that is supposed to give the most sonic signature in my rig.

TBH, would have tried on both sections if I would have liked the result, but I didn't, hence leaving things as they are :)

Claude

I am currently looking for the LTSpice model (.cir file) of this OPA1656...

And may some comments about simulated and real performance graphs :D

While currently use for simulation on a notch the ADA4627 single :D :D

Hp

You should be able to import the .lib file for the OPA1656 (available to download in zip format) into the Spice simulator of your choice. There are a number of videos and tutorials online for importing a .lib into LTSpice.

You should be able to import the .lib file for the OPA1656 (available to download in zip format) into the Spice simulator of your choice. There are a number of videos and tutorials online for importing a .lib into LTSpice.

Hi John

Yes, did it my way…

1. Copied the given .lib file into the related LTSPice folder

2. Added a new OPA1656.asy using the ADA4627 as a template

3. Altered text

SYMATTR Value OPA1656
SYMATTR Prefix X
SYMATTR SpiceModel OPA1656.lib
SYMATTR Value2 OPA1656
SYMATTR Description TI/BB Audio FET Opamp

to get the same symbols as the ordenary Opamp

4. on LTSpice load, the lengthy lib update happend.

5. Tested within my Notch, and noise figures now different and FFT figures better

6. The real question rises: How the simulated results will match with real HW implementation :zombie:

Now waiting for the announcement of the single OPAMP 1655...
When will this happen ??

Hp

Joined 2011
Paid Member
That's roughly 300 x 52 x 50,000?

I'm sure TI builds their analog ICs on 12 inch diameter wafers; each one has a surface area of 113 square inches. We can assume the opamp die size is roughly comparable to the competitor device "AD848", namely 0.067" x 0.054" = 3.6E-3 square inches per die. So there are approximately 31,200 die sites on a 12 inch diameter wafer --- if we pretend there are no partial die around the perimeter, where the wafer's curved edge cuts through the middle of a rectangular die.

Then we merely plug in estimates for

• Line_Yield = (# Good, non broken wafers out of fab) / (# Wafers started)
  • Probe_Yield = (# die that pass all probe tests at wafer level) / (# die sites)
  • Assembly_Yield = (# packaged parts that pass visual inspection) / (# die into assembly)
  • Final_Test_Yield = (# sellable packaged parts that pass Etest) / (# parts into test)

and, presto, we get the number you seek.

It's (deliberately) big, so big that TI could not possibly refuse to accept the order and pay for all necessary infrastructure additions, to build the parts.

_

Attachments

• diephoto.png
    diephoto.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 981
I was just remembering that the 8 inch wafer Stuart and I got was supposed to have 50,000+ OPA1656's ...
But yes there's the yield.

Jan

A bit of a clarification, there should be something closer to 25,000 OPA1656s per wafer.

Not all analog processes have moved to 300mm (12 inch) wafers. Regardless, OPA1656 is on a fairly mature process that has been around for over a decade. The successor process, which is on 300 mm, was not ready at the time I was working on OPA1656.

Oh man, I'm going to get in trouble for this. I should first mention that I measured a prototype of the OPA828, not the final silicon. I had moved groups before I got a chance to take a look at the final device. But in this ONE regard, I measured the OPA828 performance to be slightly worse than OPA827.

However! In almost every other aspect the OPA828 is likely superior. It's a great part and I know the designer very well and respect him immensely. There was a slight rivalry between that team and those of us working on the OPA1656 at the time, but they really did make a good amplifier.

I should also give the caveat that "slightly worse" still puts it in the top 3 devices I ever measured in this test. Just OPA164x and OPA827 had a slight edge over it. My test was very simple, amplifier in a gain of 1, 10kOhms in series with the input, and a 5Vrms input signal.
I can tell you about my experience with a sample I got from TI, sound quality wise, the OPA827 is way better than OPA828, but just few days ago I received samples of OPA1656, sound wise very close to OPA827, both are great opmps.

If Paul FROST could release a new generation of stereo DAC chips, not especially of a High-End kind but fully integrating the Digital Interface Receiver, the Digital Filter and the Digital-to-Analog Converters with balanced current outputs and clic-free volume control, that would certainly find its market...

Exactly! I'll be using the TLV320ADC6140 in my project due to it's absolute simplicity (that's how I found this thread). I'm also using the PCM5242 for the same reason. An even higher end PCM5242 with a built in headphone amp (and/or speaker amp) option would be nice. It fits within the "TLV320" series to do something like that. Like maybe a "TLV320DAC5242" of sorts, with a balanced line driver, plus headphone, plus maybe a small amplifier. So a total of 8 output pins (Balanced, HP, AMP). That would be a real nice part! I realize that some of this exists kinda, but more of the low-end "98dB" quality stuff. Let's get one in the 110-130 range. :)