ONKYO 10cm Full Range Speaker Project from magazine appendix Year 2021

Received the drivers. Impress with the packaging, indeed it looks like a book with attached articles for different box designs ideas. Cone is extremely stiff which should be a good thing unfortunately can't escape from the made in China sticker. Lol Having said that overall quality is very good so China is getting really good now for audio stuff.

Attachments

• 69DD1D0E-C9BC-42D8-8DFF-DAA4A6CFF1AD.jpeg
    69DD1D0E-C9BC-42D8-8DFF-DAA4A6CFF1AD.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 289
Joined 2008
Paid Member
So the boxes arrived on Friday, custom charges included in the shipping, that was nice:) The speakers look awesome, the flat pack will need some improvements, but for the money, it is a really nice kit. I can imagine building it on a kitchen table and that is most probably what I will do. I hope the pictures will be enough to build:)

Getting the Mk lll box build now, will give it a test by next week. I loathe its low 86db sensitivity, would have been great had it been higher. Not sure if anyone ever noticed, high sensitivity drivers are more natural with unforced details appearing even at low volume. Been playing with a tweak Faital Pro 3fe22 which is 90db, the details & transparency really wake me up, killed my Martin Logan Odyssey which is rebuild & tweak.

I received mine a few days ago. Was looking around to see if I have a box that fits for a quick test. unfortunately the screw holes don't match... doggoned.

When I was buying it, I was thinking the word appendix of the magazine was a poor translation... I did not expect it to be literally the appendix of the magazine...

Oon

When I was buying it, I was thinking the word appendix of the magazine was a poor translation... I did not expect it to be literally the appendix of the magazine...

Oon
I know what you mean.
Audio industry is getting declining these days.
So they are making a chance to notify people again how audio stuff are wonderful to sell them at book shop with affordable price.
Onkyo audio brand have got a last chance to show their
products with own technology.
This drivers are not perfect quolity for limitations of budget
but at. least, I could hear what they wanted to.
Also as fullrange driver fan,It shows good midrange magic

Getting the Mk lll box build now, will give it a test by next week. I loathe its low 86db sensitivity, would have been great had it been higher. Not sure if anyone ever noticed, high sensitivity drivers are more natural with unforced details appearing even at low volume. Been playing with a tweak Faital Pro 3fe22 which is 90db, the details & transparency really wake me up, killed my Martin Logan Odyssey which is rebuild & tweak.
Hi Sumotan,

I am also a big fan of the 3Fe22 like you. I find a single coat of visaton LTS50 improves on the performance. Either that or Modge podge.

As for your comment on high sensitivity to a certain extent I agree however it doesn't mean that less sensitive drivers all sound like crap. My personal thoughts are about the design compromise they had chosen, example the damping of the spider, rubber surround, mass of sound. I rather think of the topic as what was done to the driver. High efficiency and full range tends to share the same design approach, light cone, powerful magnet, low loss, high coherence. And it comes to a certain type of sound versus the more traditional approach...

Oon

Hi Oon,
Before this comment of mine get skewed further, I never said that low sensitivity will not sound good ya. For me no small 4 inch FR is gonna make good bass law of physics regardless of sensitivity. Just saying that higher sensitivity some how allows music to come out more naturally. Btw I use a form of latex that we use on ship flooring cement. Very effective in damping. Manage to smooth out the shout that the 3fe22 has. I don't use the 3fe22 as FR if you use it in 2 way set up may I recommend you to try Russian Mgbo caps, takes the 3fe22 to a new level of sound. Can't explain in words, you just have to try.

Hi Oon,
Before this comment of mine get skewed further, I never said that low sensitivity will not sound good ya. For me no small 4 inch FR is gonna make good bass law of physics regardless of sensitivity. Just saying that higher sensitivity some how allows music to come out more naturally. Btw I use a form of latex that we use on ship flooring cement. Very effective in damping. Manage to smooth out the shout that the 3fe22 has. I don't use the 3fe22 as FR if you use it in 2 way set up may I recommend you to try Russian Mgbo caps, takes the 3fe22 to a new level of sound. Can't explain in words, you just have to try.
Hi Sumotan,

I agree with you, just that some people may interpret that if you don't have high sensitivity drivers, it will never sound natural etc. Similarly not all high sensitivity drivers are good, some shout like a tortured cat, some have frequency peaking at all the wrong places. For example the big brother of the 3Fe22, the 4Fe32 has a nasty peak at 8kHz. I want to see if I can get a notch filter to kill it...

I have also bee using the SB acoustics 12PAC (which is manufactured in your backyard [emoji6]) 4 inch as a full range, with a bit of tweaking and DSP it sounds really good...

Oon

Agree not all drivers are good regardless of sensitivity or size.
I've got a pair of coral Flat 8 & Coral 10F-60, they share similar trades to the 3fe22 natural & unforced sounding, though not as snappy & dynamic. Think both are 90 db or so.
My reference ML Odyssey only wakes up & sounds good at higher volume. Sigh.

Hi,

Just bringing things back to topic. I managed to stuff a driver in a box. Spent 2 hours listening to it.

Agree with the many comments, this is a beautiful speaker for vocals. Very smooth and musical. Very enjoyable to listen to. Could listen to it all day. I think it is great for a FAST/WAW system or a 2.1.

BTW sumotan, someone did come up with a commercial product based onthe 3FE22

6moons audioreviews: Finale Vivace Mini

Oon