One "big" woofer or four "small"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If I were building a sub to go under my computer desk for the little desktop speakers, I would not choose a 15 or 18" driver. A 6.5 or 8" would be a nice choice. For a full on music system, a driver that small would never be my first choice. Horses for courses.

If I were building a sub to go under my computer desk for the little desktop speakers, I would not choose a 15 or 18" driver. A 6.5 or 8" would be a nice choice. For a full on music system, a driver that small would never be my first choice. Horses for courses.

yes of course. I agree. I'm just about done with a pair of 2 way speakers that use a 6.5" "subwoofer". They are for in my small office so they don't need to play loud. They aren't finished so they aren't pretty yet. The little driver is Dayton's 3" "full range" driver, crossed over at 500Hz to the "subwoofer".... :)

Attachments

• L1020135 - sm.JPG
    L1020135 - sm.JPG
    644.7 KB · Views: 292
like this one for instance...
Goldwood GW-18120 18" Deluxe PA Woofer 290-398
I used it for PA speakers for our music group
Audio Pages: PA speakers
I knew something was wrong with this "PA". Or it was running active or the woofer's 95dB could not mate the 4x midwoofers. They fail from SPL "sickness" I think.:D
Ideally one should biamp these speakers
:D:D

Dave, the 12Pi-Sub (from PiSpeakers) is also a 2x12"LAB push-pull I think.

To compare 1sub and 4subs we can also check if the price of one accommodate the price for 4 drivers. And they are also of very good quality (the small ones) if they go as low (as was already said before), not only for the SPLx4.

Last edited:
how many parameters do we need fixed, to define the goal :confused:
I have no idea what your goal is, or how many parameters you want fixed.
The OP didn't seem to have a specific goal either.

I have satisfied my LF goals in my sailboat (for sale, by the way) with five six inch drivers, my travel trailer uses one 8", my shop uses three 12", my home stereo two 12", one 8" and one 15" (in three different rooms).

My various headphones have drivers ranging from 1/4" to 1.5".

My PA has alternately used four 15", eight 10", eight 12", and presently two 18".

All the different size speakers have a place, "horses for courses" as has been stated.

Art

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.