Old TDA1540 as a "modern DAC"

I actually finished a USB DAC just like that a few months ago. I took the digital board, analog section and power supply from an old Nakamichi OMS-7 CD Player (laser stopped working) which has a pair of TDA1540D. I use a PCM2706 as a USB to I2S to the translator board. I got the translator board from cdream5.com. I measured it too and dynamic range and distortion are very good for 16-bit. I know the TDA1540 is 14-bit only, but the SAA7030 does some magic to bring the resolution to 16-bit. I'll open up the DAC and post some pictures this weekend. It is not difficult, the power supply in the CD Player provides all the voltages I needed.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The SAA7030 just upsamples ? (and add a filter as well). As far I know you can not ad bits that don't exist, but up/over-sampling may help to push away som unwanting problems to go back in the audio pass band.
IIrc this 13+1 bits dac chip was developed just before it was fixed with Sony up to 16 bits ? (I'm not sure about that, it could be a myth as well)

I am not sure what is going on inside the SAA7030. I am attaching an image that I found from searching books in Google. I could be wrong but I don't think this is simply upsampling, the 2 bits are not just lost.

Attachments

• info.png
    info.png
    367.1 KB · Views: 295
​I am not sure what there is to explain. There is the general case of digital filters increasing word length which is a function of binary arithmetic. And there is the specific case of the SAA7030 which receives 16/44.1 and sends 14/176.4 to the TDA1540. Phillips simply state that by running at 176.4 their 14 bit dac yields the same performance as a 16bit dac running at 44.1. It is all in the datasheet.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thanks for that but I really don't understand, maybe the maths, how this can occurs : "There is the general case of digital filters increasing word length which a function of binary arithmetic"

I think I have not the knowledge enough here. So the filter decrease the bit depth of the 16 bits depth cd disc by upsampling it to 176.xx ? Or is it just an upsampling to clean the audio pass band (interpolation?) while still ignoring 2 bits ? (dynamic loss?)

It's above my heads, but when I listen to it no big issues, whatever this strange phrase in the datasheet that is not so clear but for the braves with maths :confused:

If a 16-bit number is multiplied by another 16-bit number, the result is a 32-bit number. That is what happens in a digital filter.

Modern sigma-delta dacs may only have, say, a 5-bit dac in them. But if you operate that 5-bit dac very fast, the average (filtered) voltage output at audio frequencies might be good to 20-bits or maybe 21-bits.

Also maybe helpful to consider, DSD is a 1-bit dac. Its average output after being filtered can be good for much more than 1-bit of accuracy. Right?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
So following this speed logic ans I assume wecare not talking samples but bits then with a crystal with higher speeds my 16 bits tda could read for example a 18 or a 20 bits recorded material and playback it without bit depht with the adhoc filter chip before ?
I am furious Pedja Rogic and Thorsten Loesch had not said that before. Well I knew from them a tda 1540 or tda 1541 could play higher samples...till 388 K hz in sim mode for the tda1541...but not they could fil with 1untill zero the bits above what their datasheet shows.
Ahaha I m glad my ad1862 can also be 24 bits...so cool.

No, dear Iggy.. I have to defend aforementioned friends.. Thorsten, for example, had spent loads of time describing how he would prefer applying oversampling and proper dithering /noise shaping to a good multibit dac, reaching crazy high levels of resolution..

I am too old and lazy, but all this is there waiting to be discovered in the tons of precious material accumulated in diyhifi.org..