Old TDA1540 as a "modern DAC"

hello to the whole group.
is it possible to use the electronics of a cd player as a DAC?
let me explain: I have an old Philips player that no longer reads CDs so I would like to use its DAC (2xTDA 1540) as a DAC for my system.
2 or 3 selectable inputs (optical and coaxial).
possible or impossible?
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It is technically possible when you are an experienced DIYer and able to rework PCB's and know how stuff should be connected to each other. It will take a lot of time, won't win a beauty contest, likely won't get the maximum out of the components with too long wiring, cutoff PCB tracks etc. and you will still have a 14 bit DAC.

It would be easier to buy/design/build a configurable front end with multiple inputs (make that high res capable and low jitter as all recent chips already are that) and a separate board with classic or modern DAC chip of choice. The TDA1540 can then be desoldered elegantly from the old CD player. You can then design boards with classic 14 bit, classic 16 bit or even recent 24 bit capable DAC chips. It will make it possible to compare new and old techology and give all the possibilities you like with the quite good technical properties of modern SPDIF receivers.

Beware, the TDA1540 is a dinosaur and many start crackling after all these hours of duty and aging. Make sure yours aren't before undertaking anything.

Last edited:
You have things the wrong way round. The expertise is not in the DIY bit. In order to do anything you have to have the skills and tools required to perform the task. The problem here is you do not understand the magnitude of the task you wish to take on and do so without the skills and possibly the tools. There is no point in being told where to start if you can't read the map.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
On a recent TDA1540 thread of the DigitalIn section they told again about an AliEx populated pcb for the tda1540 from an old post of the long, long.......... long ECDESIGN TDA1541 thread.

Imo it's where you want to go if able to desolder gently your two pieces of TDA and the SAA filter.

maybe I was misunderstood.
it is not my intention to eradicate the DACs and so on from the deceased cd player but I want to eliminate the mechanics and connect in its place any spdif optic / coax input circuit.
therefore the "base" remains unchanged.

@diyiggy: no, I would like to start from here, if it were possible.

42qxMS6.png

or from here:

5V8YC9i.png

Last edited:
if I knew I would not have asked for help.
or not?
when I attended the forum more intensely there was a different air.
I'm sorry that the Pass forum is turning into a GURU nest.

@ rfbrw: I asked if it can be done and if it can be done I asked how and where to start.
if you don't want or can't help, please don't intervene.

The place I would start is with a TDA1540 Datasheet. That tells you what there is to know about the dac chips and what they need in terms of input signals. Same for the digital filter chip, if anything exists on that.

Digital inputs like SPDIF and, say, USB, generally require conversion to a format compatible with a given dac chip. For some dac chips there are conversion chips that make the job pretty straightforward, although using them may require programming a microcontroller. For old chips like TDA1540, custom interface logic circuits may be needed. The links percival007 provided are about one important stage of interface processing.

hello to the whole group.
is it possible to use the electronics of a cd player as a DAC?
let me explain: I have an old Philips player that no longer reads CDs so I would like to use its DAC (2xTDA 1540) as a DAC for my system.
2 or 3 selectable inputs (optical and coaxial).
possible or impossible?
Thanks in advance.

Does the CDP have power supplies +5V, +12V GND -12V?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

H228f4a743c874ec79f8a5418d1bd4e75W.jpg