Old Console drivers in open baffles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quoting GM "As it is, I have some NIB early 80s wide BW 8" Philips drivers that the foam surrounds have turned to a really nasty, sticky, goo. I'm not sure if these are salvageable since I don't see how to clean them without ruining the diaphragms."

I am not sure about the best solvent for dismantling. Something I have to look into. However, if you hang the transducer with the magnet upper most, and let gravity help, the goop won't go any further towards the apex.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thought I should post some photos of my old RCA console drivers on the baffles I built. Just as a reminder this is an Alnico CTS 12" and a Foster horn from late 1969- early 1970.

I didn't have much luck with these drivers in OB. The 12" seems to be too low QTS for this use. With lots of bass boost and a 20, yes 20! ohm resistor in series, they started to sound decent. Enough to lead me into more OB experiments.

Below is a photo of the stereo pair without wings. The "cat door" is covered in normal use. But please, don't tell the cat he's a "Woofer." :eek:

Attachments

• baffles-5.jpg
    baffles-5.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 411
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here's the reason one baffle has a cat door. It first had a 10" small magnet woofer on it. Qts of about 0.65

Lots more bass than the 12" CTS. But I really didn't like the sound of it much. Kinda "wooly" sounding. Just a cheap driver. My wife says I should try the 10 and 12 together. Hmmm..... How to connect a 4 ohm and 10 ohm driver together?

Attachments

• baffles-1.jpg
    baffles-1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 348
Hi Michael, Look after that wife of yours. Wow, new slant on WAF.

"My wife says I should try the 10 and 12 together. Hmmm..... How to connect a 4 ohm and 10 ohm driver together?"

You could try something like this.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=92922

Actually, it would good to get another opinion on this concept. I have observed something unusual (but good) with the scheme, but haven't worked out why? I wont say what it is yet. I need to build 1 or 2 bass cabs and try it on a "conventional" system to see if it can be replicated.

Also, what type of amp have you been driving the OB's with?

Geoff.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Geoff H said:

Now that's a strange setup! Can't quite figure all of it.

Also, what type of amp have you been driving the OB's with?

T-AMPs! Natch! Several different.

It's going to be easy enough to wire the 10 and 12 in series. No idea what that's going to do to the Q of either dirver, but it won't be hard to try. :)

We have to be carefull with this stuff, Geoff, or we'll get kicked out of the fullrange club. :bawling:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I did wire the 10 and the 12 in series. Well, it works, that's about all I can say. Takes some edge off the 12.

Also tried parallel, biamping, resistors, inductors, etc. Just could not get them sounding decent. Definately the wrong drivers for the job. Perhaps with a whole lot of EQ they could be decent - but it may not be worth the bother.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'll show you how they were enclosed. Pretty funny! See below.

My next step is a pair of Selenuim 15s on OB, should really rock. But that's not what this thread is about. When I get them built - I'll post a new thread.

Attachments

• rca-speaks-2.jpg
    rca-speaks-2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 519
Sadly, yes it is too far gone. The perpetrator went through the thin paper cone, then laterally taking 2/3 of the paper with it. My fault, too much stuff placed nearby and I should have focused on finishing the OBs before other projects. The only bright side is that I still have the 3/4" oak that can be cut up for some sort of nice, small FE126e design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.