• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Oh no...not another Baby Huey EL84 build.

The fact that I butchered the mains transformer to fit like that. Was not a recipe for a nice looking internal build.

I wanted to also build this beautifully "inside" this time....since I used PCB's which should make that a lot easier to achieve. It was not te be.

Bias supply= red wires = twisted since it has ac. And taped to the aluminium top cover with copper tape. The same for the heater wiring = blue wires.

Essentially there is a copper earth bus running diagonally on the mains transformer (but not connected...it is "floating" on the turrets). So everything goes to that (except rca input ground).

First of all from the ground "leg" of my rectifier/psu board in the middle. Then the transformer itself through from the bolt and therefore also the top plate. Then the internal screen of the transformer. The negative leg of the boards also connect to this earth bus. As I don't have rectifiers on each channel I have to be careful and connect - to earth and + to the positive part of the input. And last but not least the two 100ohm resistors from each leg of the heater supply.

Since I have a ground bus that is connected to the board...I have the connector ground for the bias xlr also connected only to the ground bus.

The output transformer just connects to the relevant connector and is not grounded anywhere. The big black heatsink is for future use.

Also the choke/resistor is bypassed with a wire. Because I want the 21st century Maida reg...and anything after that is really superfluous. But I'll probably put a big value resistor in there to get my temporary rectifier and psu board with lower voltage...so that comparison to the reg will be a more equal test.

Attachments

• IMG20200430220944.jpg
    IMG20200430220944.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:
Transformers in the house. Yes!

Hi Mac. I've used the single ended output c-cores before. In my 6v6 single ended amp. I am very happy with them. They are not cheap. But I know the craftsman who winds them. No rush jobs by a big company. He is a one man shop.

My PP EL84 cost 225 euros per pair. Home - Vlaartronic They would have been 175 in EI core versions.

I just bought power transformers from these guys. They also seem to have nice EL84 PP. 2 Stuck Gegentakt Ausgangsubertrager ATR 15 8000 Ohm Raa UL | TBT Trafobau

Hi Bas,
Love your build.

Are these the item number for the
output transformers you bought?

VT-PP555

Thanks

Lee

Last edited: