Oh no, he's back

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am also using RAAL and c-quenze as my drivers.

Choice of Speaker Drivers

Initially, they were standard dirvers. but I have since then upgraded to 18mm C-quenze (custom made) which covers the range 100Hz to 6000 Hz. I am now crossover at 200Hz and 4500Hz. This will ensure that the essensial music information is coming from one drivers and avoid crossover problem! The bass driver is now also much stronger than the standard c-quenze. (See the link) The sound is alot more dynamic and powerful than before as well.

Maybe, you can even consider adding a 12" or 15" on the side of the LGT as well. I remembered you once built a collum of subwoofer putting right next to the LGT?

I am also using RAAL and c-quenze as my drivers.
Initially, they were standard dirvers. but I have since then upgraded to 18mm C-quenze (custom made) which covers the range 100Hz to 6000 Hz. I am now crossover at 200Hz and 4500Hz. This will ensure that the essensial music information is coming from one drivers and avoid crossover problem!

Are these upgraded drivers available for general public?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Sean, I believe the LGT requires a bass module that is in addition to the 8" AT woofers used in the above renders.

I think he's talking about the Avante since that design has separate bass and mid/tweet enclosures.

I wondered why Shin did not simplify the design by using the 10" flex units instead of the 8" units (thus dropping the Peerless 10") but since his knowledge far exeeds mine I kept my big mouth shut.;) Troels uses a similar 10" AT woofer here http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/PRELUDE_files/10C77PD.pdf.

That wasn't the last iteration of the design progression despite me saying it was - I lied :D

I did indeed simplify the LGT further and removed the 10" subs altogether. It was a size consideration issue and since they we're already on the large side they went.

Shin-Obiwan,
What are the significant differences in the radiation pattern of MT or WMT desings like the Aurora and Avante vs MTM or WMTMW like the LGT?

Horizontal off axis is good from all those designs, the difference is in the vertical. The TMW like the Aurora and particularly the Avante have a better vertical dispersion because they act more closely to a point source. The LGT is still better than most MTM in this regard because it uses steep 96dB/oct FIR filters which minimise driver interaction around the crossover point.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hey guys.

Another small update.

I've found a nice local CNC workshop in nearby Sheffield who do a lot of the cutting for Wilson Benesch. Things are going great and I've just submitted to the workshop what I hope are the final set of amendments needed to take the Aurora design from computer based model to a precision cut jigsaw puzzle! I'll find out next week if that's the case. Either way its coming together and I'm really excited to see the finished pieces.

I've made some significant changes to the internals to accommodate and take full advantage of the increased accuracy that CNC will allow for. I've stuck rebates in the side panels so the bracing now interlocks with these to give a more rigid cabinet. Another upshot of this method is since a large portion of the panels lock together a cabinet can be built up in one session. Just gotta wait for the glue to set really. That's a vast increase in speed over hand trimming all those panels and angles:

Aurora05.jpg

Another cool thing I've nailed is the rear panel used to mount the binding posts. Another company in Sheffield will be laser cutting and etching these. I'll be using black anodised brushed aluminium here and based on the samples of work I've seen from them it'll look a million bucks when done.

Here's a render of the finished article.

Aurora04.jpg

And a link to a large 1920x1080 version of the above image which really shows off the detail the renderer is capable of.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1050288/Aurora04big.jpg

And that's pretty much it for now. Its taking months of planning but the end result will be impressive.

You see, this is why I used to visit DIY Audio. I remember the good old days of Shin and the LGT's.

Sooooooo glad I decided to pop in and see what's happening. Lo and behold, it's Shin at it again with more absolutely gorgeous and inspiring designs.

I've been thinking of building something similar to the Aurora, but using a 8-10" woofer and B&G Neo3 + Neo10. Also been looking at the MiniDSP 2x8.

Also, wouldn't you be better off CNC machining the binding post plates rather than laser?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Yes to the CNC cutting of the alu plates themselves. The laser is used to etch the text but I'm very likely to just go with a simple screen print instead now because of the cost.

Hypertune, definitely check out the 2x8 its a surprising unit. I basically figured it would be a DCX2496 with a couple of extra outputs but its a more suitable and capable platform than the Behringer. The software in particular impressed me. Its clean, responsive and about as easy to understand as it gets. Soundwise I'd rate it around the level the DEQX Express but with a lot less features and tricks up its sleeve than that unit. This means you have to put in a fair bit more time on the filers to get it the point where it sounds as good because you haven't got tricks such as the driver linearisation and time alignment algorithms or room correction. But with a measurement microphone and a process of iteration you can get extremely close which to me says the basic level of engineering in the 2x8 is high.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I've pretty much completed design work on the little Avante standmount now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've also been busy chatting with Aleks at RAAL and have struck up a deal to supply all the high frequency drivers used in the models I have. So that means bye bye to the excellent Scanspeak 602010 Illuminator and hello to the phenomenal RAAL 70-20XR. I've had to make some adjustments to accommodate this much larger unit but its definitely going to be worth it and since the other models use RAAL then the family sound will remain more consistent as you go up through the range.

I'll also be getting my hands on RAAL's new budget tweeter which probably won't be used in this design but will almost certainly find its way into something in the future.

Attachments

• Avante-08.jpg
    Avante-08.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 792
  • Avante-09.jpg
    Avante-09.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,376
  • Avante-10.jpg
    Avante-10.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 846
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.