• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Official GB for DSD DAC Signalyst DSCv2

Completed design BBB&Amanero + isolator + reclocker + DSC2
Oscillators NDK NZ2520SD and reclocker made on a fast series Potato.

View attachment 699314
View attachment 699315

very nice and neat! transport and dac on one board

possible to give people the option to upgrade the oscillators
to NDK NZ2520SDA?
heard that they have better spec.
NDK NZ2520SDA oscillators group buy
Oscillators
maybe have dip14 socket so we can roll our own oscillators?

can amanero's own oscillators be disabled with firmware and run in slave mode with ndk oscillators from the dsc board providing master clock ?
Introducing the Hermes-Amanero

bbb can be damaged when main power cut off, twisted pear audio
addressed the problem with a backup battery
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twis...mbedded-audio-applicance-118.html#post4200187
Building an open embedded audio applicance.

will the new dsc board address the problem of the shut down of bbb?

i assume we can only run in mode only? i.e either amanero or bbb only?
not possible to stack both together , so amanero connect to bbb, with the
change of software people can choice between bbb usb out to amanero or bbb i2s out.

Last edited:
very nice and neat! transport and dac on one board
possible to give people the option to upgrade the oscillators
to NDK NZ2520SDA?
heard that they have better spec.
NDK NZ2520SDA oscillators group buy
Oscillators
maybe have dip14 socket so we can roll our own oscillators?
This PCB is still a prototype. I did not have experience with BBB. Now I'm waiting for the PCB and the details for the assembly. If there is a commercial version, I will take into account your wish.
can amanero's own oscillators be disabled with firmware and run in slave mode with ndk oscillators from the dsc board providing master clock ?
Introducing the Hermes-Amanero
Yes. In this version, Amanero and BBB only work in slave mode.
bbb can be damaged when main power cut off, twisted pear audio
addressed the problem with a backup battery
The BBB has a built-in LiPO controller. Therefore, it is very simple to do this without additional modifications.
https://www.element14.com/community.../10/bbb--rechargeable-on-board-battery-system
will the new dsc board address the problem of the shut down of bbb?

i assume we can only run in mode only? i.e either amanero or bbb only?
not possible to stack both together , so amanero connect to bbb, with the
change of software people can choice between bbb usb out to amanero or bbb i2s out.
Two options: Amanero I2S or BBB I2S
As long as I have some free time, I do a micro firmware with the botic kernel and root filesystem from RAM.

Last edited:
Just a little question about the DsC stock transformers. My preamp has a 102K2 imput impedance but I have a 25K R2R shunt ladder in front for volume control. In the calculation for R65, do you have to take into account the impedance of the volume attenuator or just the preamp input impedance or both?

Thanks
Do
Do,
shunt stepped attenuator (for example High Quality Audio & Industrial Attenuators) has constant output impedance and variable input impedance.

You need to take into account input impedance of shunt attenuator. As it's not constant:
1. Set position of volume switch in wich you are usually listening music.
2. Measure input impedance of shunt stepped attenuator at this position by multimeter.
3. Use measured value in calculation of R65.

Hi Vit,

Took me some time but I had to update the firmware on the advanced Amanero and upgrade my Roon bridge using the latest DietPi for Roon to finally see it as a native DSD solution. I checked everything with the scope tonight and everything looked good.

I will definitely go for the BBB + Ian solution but need to buy the Ian's stuff first and since I had the advanced Amanero (fancier version) in house, I decided to use this first. Then of course, when I have a more powerful server I will use HQPlayer within Roon.

Do you think that an AMD RYZEN 7 2700 8-Core 3.2 GHz (4.1 GHz Max Boost) with 16GB ram would be good enough to run DSD 512 at the settings you're running?

Thanks
Do

Hi Vit,
Do you think that an AMD RYZEN 7 2700 8-Core 3.2 GHz (4.1 GHz Max Boost) with 16GB ram would be good enough to run DSD 512 at the settings you're running?
Thanks
Do

No, RYZEN 2700 and Intel i7-8700 is not not enough for DSD512 and poly-sinc-xtr and closed-form filters. ThreadRipper 1950X or something comparable in performance, big L3 cache and fast 4-channel RAM (>=3400 MHz) are needed.
With RYZEN 7 2700 you will have all filters at DSD256 and light filters at DSD512.

But don't chase after DSD512. Costs are very high (expensive CPU, GPU, custom watercooling system and so on), the increase in sound quality is modest. It is better to invest in something else (IMHO). :)

DSD256 + full HQP filters/modulators - very good option.

Do,
I've just received confirmation, that Ryzen-7-2700X, DDR4 >= 3066, locked to >= 4.050GHz plus GTX1070Ti (CUDA Offload is activated in HQP) works stable with all HQP filters up to DSD512.
Not works only at DSD512x48 with poly-sinc-xtr.
TDP > 120W. So very good watercooling is needed.

As Pavel announced new version of DSC with onboard reclocker, he gave me his own image of Botic for testing (DSC + McFIFO/McDualXO + NAA in my case).

Main features:
1. 4.9.199-rt kernel with Miero Botic driver. NAA preinstalled.
2. Root file system from RAM.
3. Only the most necessary is left, everything else removed. SSH is temporary available (root:root). As only NAA installed, HQP must be used as player.

I must say that it is much better than my own build. :) As agreed with Pavel, the image is available for testing (see README.txt included in zip for HOWTO)
botic_naa(ppy) v1.zip - Google Drive

The built was inspired by digifi labo - デジファイのおと

I highly recommend using it :).

Last edited:
Cool new design Pavel!
I would recommend the better NDK NZ2520SDA series XOs, same footprint as the non "A" versions but lower phase noise. Also, you may be able to mount just a single 27.5792 XO as long as folks are only sending that base frequency DSD files to the DAC. A single XO may have advantages, as it will only modulate the power supply with one frequency. I know single XO works with Amanero.

Last edited:
As Pavel announced new version of DSC with onboard reclocker, he gave me his own image of Botic for testing (DSC + McFIFO/McDualXO + NAA in my case).

Thank you Pavel/Vit - your ongoing commitment to this project is greatly appreciated.

I have downloaded Pavel's new Botic version I will take a look at installing it over the weekend. A lot of people are nervous of playing with Linux so, if it isn't asking too much, it would probably help a few people if you could make a 'ready to go' image that you put on a microSD with DiskGenius like you did before.

Also, I've received my PCBs to interface a TPA Cronus to a DSC2 board so things are finally moving for me after a bit of a hiatus with the project.

Hi, Ray.
Glad to see you again.

It's absolutely "ready to go". Just unzip it (or unzip and copy all files) to a primary partition of mSD, edit uEnv.txt and naa.conf, boot from mSD.

uEnv.txt is in root directory with my optargs line. Edit it when needed.
Network settings is in /naa/naa.conf. Manually set IP, netmask, gateway IP, nameserver.
Additional info is in /README.txt.

Last edited:
Thanks Vit. Yes, it's time to get this project finally built, especially now the days are getting shorter...

I'm confident I've enough Linux experience to get the install done and will report back in due course. I was just commenting that the prospect of using a linux command line and/or editor is a blocker for some people and the completely configured image you provided previously was so simple to install using DiskGenius that it would probably be worth offering something similar?

DHCP daemon is also cut from this firmware. The firmware is cut off extremely. Works only naa. There is not even a syslog service.
For the time of testing left only SSH and naa. After successful testing, the SSH service will also be removed from the firmware.
The network needs to be set up manually.
This is not difficult even for beginners. For this, you do not need to understand Linux. All the settings can be done in Windows.

Last edited: