NOS, Oversampling... and now Hybrid(?)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I run the tests inserting a resistive 21dB attenuator btn the DAC out and the SDR dongle input.
I gathered the data for the case of the 44k1 sampling rate . See you another day for the other S.R. data :)
George

Attachments

• generator settings.jpg
    generator settings.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 23
Joined 2002
Paid Member
44k1 S.R._100kHz BW

Attachments

• (1) FFT settings_100kHz BW.jpg
    (1) FFT settings_100kHz BW.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 26
  • (2) SDR open input_100kHz BW.jpg
    (2) SDR open input_100kHz BW.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 24
  • (3) 44k1_idle_100kHz BW.jpg
    (3) 44k1_idle_100kHz BW.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 25
  • (4) 44k1_19k+20k_100kHz BW.jpg
    (4) 44k1_19k+20k_100kHz BW.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 26
  • (5) 44k1_white noise_100kHz BW - Copy.jpg
    (5) 44k1_white noise_100kHz BW - Copy.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 23
Joined 2002
Paid Member
44k1 S.R._1MHz BW

Attachments

• (1) FFT settings 1MHz BW.jpg
    (1) FFT settings 1MHz BW.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 24
  • (2) SDR open input_1MHz BW.jpg
    (2) SDR open input_1MHz BW.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 27
  • (3) 44k1_idle_1MHz BW.jpg
    (3) 44k1_idle_1MHz BW.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 25
  • (4) 44k1_19k+20k_1MHz BW.jpg
    (4) 44k1_19k+20k_1MHz BW.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 20
  • (5) 44k1_white noise_1MHz BW - Copy.jpg
    (5) 44k1_white noise_1MHz BW - Copy.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 24
Intermodulation
Intermodulation products in general show up close to the overload/1dB compression limits. However, if the strong
signal is on the roll off of the filter, they appear well before this limit.

Aliasing
Aliasing always occurs if an insufficiently band limited signal is sampled, i.e. if the signal to be sampled contains frequencies above half the sampling frequency. Thus, aliasing is an effect showing up in many SDRs, not only in these dongles. In both types of dongles there is not much space for brick wall filters.

Image Rejection
Because the E4000 is a Direct Conversion Receiver, it has an Image Rejection problem. By switching on Correct IQ in SDR# a more or less acceptable 50dBs are reached. For the same reason, a "hump" shows in the center of the spectrum display. By using a well filtered external power supply (not from the USB connector) the hump might be reduced.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/aliasing/
https://sandsoftwaresound.net/rtl-sdr-blog-v3-hf-reception/

Just saying, one has to be careful with SDR devices. Need to make sure the problem is really in the DUT and not the test instrument.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just saying, one has to be careful with SDR devices. Need to make sure the problem is really in the DUT and not the test instrument.
True and thanks for the links.
The DUT of this thread has no active circuit past DAC IC's current output up to it's line out (where the SDR was connected to).
Therefore, when intermodulation products were seen with the one type of filter from the three available but not with another, this could only mean that the instrument acting as the load to the DAC analog output was the one producing the products of intermodulation.
That was clear from the beginning. I was only surprised and cought off guard because the DAC output signal seemed to be well below the overload limit of the SDR. But still...
The thing here is to test the filters effectiveness to reduce the out of band noise.
And it is clear that there is a lot of out of band noise.
George

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thank you bohrok2610 for your comments.
I've tried increasing the attenuation btn the DAC out and SDR input. Also I've tried reducing the test siglal level feeding the DAC. Same picture with the digital filter.
I also did the same tests with another DAC based on ESS9018.
It seems that what you've noted are not SDR or setup issues, rather are related to the digital filter of Kosta's PCM1794.
I don't know what else can I do to look further into that. I think I' leave it here.
George

Attachments

• 100kHz BW.jpg
    100kHz BW.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 1MHz BW.jpg
    1MHz BW.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 21
George, thank you for shedding light on this!
Might a possible explanation be a non optimal I2S lines routing on the PCB?
FWIW, this is all I can find on PCM1794 datasheet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240118_174840.png
    Screenshot_20240118_174840.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240118_175055.png
    Screenshot_20240118_175055.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 22
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Regarding my listening impression with Kosta’s DAC, here are a few words.

Very solid sounding, good ‘body’, detailed. Dead silent too.

My preference about the filters is 1_Passive. 2_Off. 3_Digital

Off (NOS) sounds very organic with acoustic instruments, natural sound decay but on complex music loses some discrimination btn instruments.

Digital is of tight control. The desirable setting with rock and electrical instruments music. With classic, is a bit of ‘dry’.

The Passive has a right mix of NOS palpableness and Digital’s precision.

Overall, a unique three filter experience (with the rest of construction as common, so a true feasible comparison btn filters), combined with an A+ audio performance (haven’t found a weak spot there), an equally good construction (a lot of “iron” and full of shunt voltage regulators), feel and looks.

I would only like it to have a higher analog out signal level ( 0.658Vrms @0dBFS digital input). But I think this lowish output was Kosta's decision based on his system's gain structure.

My compliments Kostas. I wish you take as much pleasure listening through it, as much you experienced designing and building it.

:nod:
George

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 2 users