• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New Transformer Vendor In Belgium

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

As it happens the people behind Monolith Magnetics happen to be acquaintances of mine.

They're not just vendors either, the xformers are all computer designed and manufactured in Belgium.

While Yves has been working in the field of guitar amps and electron tubes for longer than I actually know him, Ward OTOH has been a dedicated audiophile with a professional background in Matererial Research at the local university.

Currently their range of output xformers are SE but PP designs should follow soon.

Cheers, ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi,

As it happens the people behind Monolith Magnetics happen to be acquaintances of mine.

They're not just vendors either, the xformers are all computer designed and manufactured in Belgium.

While Yves has been working in the field of guitar amps and electron tubes for longer than I actually know him, Ward OTOH has been a dedicated audiophile with a professional background in Matererial Research at the local university.

Currently their range of output xformers are SE but PP designs should follow soon.

Cheers, ;)

I thought their product looked very good from both a technical standpoint and from a fit & finish standpoint as well. Here in the US vendor can often mean manufacturer as well if they handle their own distribution - sorry if I confused anyone. I was on their announcement distribution list and after looking at their site thought it was worthy of posting here. I may try some of their transformers in the future.

I have many fond memories of sifting through surplus electronics and purchasing tubes at Henry's Radio near Place Anneessens in Brussels as a teen.. Guess I have a soft spot for Belgium, and the beer.. :D (Should add the food as well, oh la la..)

Joined 2008
Here is an interesting new transformer vendor based in Belgium. Their product line looks quite interesting, specializing in tube output transformers and the like - so I thought I would pass along the tip.

Here's their site: MONOLITH MAGNETICS

Please note I have no affiliation, and have not tried their magnetics either. Always good to have another choice IMHO..

They look very good. The SE OPT's have got a quite rare feature: they always use all the secondary turns regardless of the load (4 or 8 ohms). This makes them perform at the same level, especially in terms of power loss. Most OPT's, even some expensive types, just have a tap and so they do not perform the same with 4 and 8 ohms because they don't use all the secondary turns with 4 ohms (so they have higher loss). The downside of this is that the true primary load is not exactly the same for 4/8 ohms because the impedances are reflected according to the square turn ratio (basically to match the 4 ohm primary load with 8 ohm tap you need an effective secondary load of 7.9 ohm) but this is really unimportant in a practical situation (speakers...).

Anyway the most interesting product for me is that universal high voltage power transformer. It would be useful for building a serious workbench voltage supply.

A prototype from Ward's own amplifier. It's aSE amp with the Philips TB3/1000. It deliveres 175 watt in SE aplication. It's far the best amplifier I've listend to.

Gydotron

index.php

index.php

Probably, Monolith is competing with Lundahl. The price range is about the same but Lundahl offers both nickel steel and amorphous c-core output transformer. Also, Lundahl offers different sizes of air-gapped single ended transformer that gives best performance from the matching tube.

Johnny

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I have many fond memories of sifting through surplus electronics and purchasing tubes at Henry's Radio near Place Anneessens in Brussels as a teen.. Guess I have a soft spot for Belgium, and the beer.. (Should add the food as well, oh la la..)

Just to show how small the world can be: the old Henry's eletron tubes' stock was bought up by me many, many years ago. What was left of it after I stopped trading was bought by Yves....

Cheers, :cool:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
IMHO one shouldn't make such bold statement. Lundahl is professional and reputable manufacturer Although I have not bought their product after all and decided to custom-order PP trafos of my own design, I'm admire this company for excellent professional abilities.

I do use and recommend Lundahl transformers, but I do believe there are transformers that better them in some fundamental respects. (Tamura FS-5000 series opts being one example) What I intensely dislike about Lundahl is the fact that they do not offer any enclosed versions, and don't tell me about their cans - overpriced, and ugly.. :D This is all fine in a broadcast or recording mixing boards where they are hidden (not that these guys really use transformers these days anyway) but when you are trying to build an attractive amp something better is in order.

These transformers look to be built with the same attention to detail as the Lundahls and can be had in decent packaging. There is no reason to suppose they aren't every bit as good..

Thanks so much esltransformer:)

I recently aquired a few c-core transformers from work. They were in a current injection test rig that was being thrown out at work. I have been trying to find the manufacturer of them for a while as I couldnt quite read the labels on the cores. Turns out its Waasner, thank you.

The quality of these transformers is exceptional:) I intend to use the cores, bobbins and mounting hardware to wind some output transformers.

I will post some pictures tomorrow when I find my camera.

Cheers Matt.

... to do what I planned:
An old house took all my capacity
and
still I did not find a really good schematic

No, I did not get yet MM transformers.

But sure after the final schematic it will go on.

Hello.
Thank you for your reply.
I understand you. I lost a lot of capacity for the same black hold.
MM looks very nice in any case.
I heard Audio Innovation pp2A3 and soun very good. Perhaps you like it.
Best regards
Jose