New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wish he'd come with a TDA2500 or TA0105 amp design. (or even better the Resolute Audio modules, semi-discrete Tripath chips... That's REAL power!! And with the RA modules a lot to tweak!

my wish also straight to yours. A short read of a RA Modul says that these can handle 170 Volts ! of supply voltage. I think this value refers more to the MOSFets than to the Tripath chip ... I am a bit techniqal greenbee, so I am not 100 % sure.

my wish also straight to yours. A short read of a RA Modul says that these can handle 170 Volts ! of supply voltage. I think this value refers more to the MOSFets than to the Tripath chip ... I am a bit techniqal greenbee, so I am not 100 % sure.

This voltage applies to the rail voltage for the amplifier, surely this chip drives external mosfets (and it can handle quite a few, it's a monster in terms of gate charge/drive capability!), but this chip can make that possible!

The RA modules also have all parts open on a tiny PCB, and at 41hz you can order even a more upgraded specimen of that semi-discrete Tripath chip.

It uses TC2002 and this is the latest of this chip family. That means it's got all the latest of protection and sensing circuitry.

You don't have to use such a monstrous rail voltage, at lower voltages it does mean an extremely stable amp, which can drive extreme loads (under 1 ohms for instance) And it will stay entirely cold then....

Speaking of state of the art Tripath, this is one that makes my heart beat a few PBM faster!:cool:

I've been looking for a project that uses a spare trafo with 1KVA Secondaries: 2X 40V 12A and the new T4 says "*Power supply: Dual AC; AC38V-0-38V (30 – 40 is ok) or single DC 36 – 54V"

40v AC seems to be the top of recomended AC Power. Do you all think I could build a project around these parts?

Thanks,
Robert

I've been looking for a project that uses a spare trafo with 1KVA Secondaries: 2X 40V 12A and the new T4 says "*Power supply: Dual AC; AC38V-0-38V (30 – 40 is ok) or single DC 36 – 54V"

40v AC seems to be the top of recomended AC Power. Do you all think I could build a project around these parts?

Thanks,
Robert
Hi,
The 38-0-38 AC power supply for T4 is a typo on the web site. It requires a single voltage of course.

T4 is pretty new, not much info available about the board yet. 40V AC is about 56V DC. The chip can handle even more but I would ask hifimediy to confirm that all other parts will be ok.

Your trafo has enough power for several T4 boards :) You can parallel the secondaries to use it's full power or use each secondary to power separate board.

Thanks Steinar for rectifiying ;) new stuff on this board so reference to previous boards seems not relevant anymore.

@Coz: forget about the idea to parallel outputs of trafo !
If I had to buy a power supply, I would pick a regulated SMPS not linear supply. Better results and more watts per kilo.

This voltage applies to the rail voltage for the amplifier, surely this chip drives external mosfets (and it can handle quite a few, it's a monster in terms of gate charge/drive capability!), but this chip can make that possible!

The RA modules also have all parts open on a tiny PCB, and at 41hz you can order even a more upgraded specimen of that semi-discrete Tripath chip.

It uses TC2002 and this is the latest of this chip family. That means it's got all the latest of protection and sensing circuitry.

You don't have to use such a monstrous rail voltage, at lower voltages it does mean an extremely stable amp, which can drive extreme loads (under 1 ohms for instance) And it will stay entirely cold then....

Speaking of state of the art Tripath, this is one that makes my heart beat a few PBM faster!:cool:

Hello V-Bro
Could you please provide a link for the RA modules at 41 Hz

'The RA modules also have all parts open on a tiny PCB, and at 41hz you can order even a more upgraded specimen of that semi-discrete Tripath chip.

It uses TC2002 and this is the latest of this chip family. That means it's got all the latest of protection and sensing circuitry'.

Yours Sincerely
John

I'm about to order some MiniDSPs for our active crossovers. They will feed our power amps and they only output a max of .9 V RMS. I will be buying some of the HiFiMeDIY amps, but not sure yet which versions.

From the HiFiMeDIY amps specs it appears they require 1.5 V (RMS?). I read in a post last September that the amps then available could have a couple of resistors changed to allow full output from a lower voltage.

My questions are:

1. Can the T1, T2, T3 & T4 amps all be modified to deliver full output with .4 V input?

2. Do the PC boards have plated through holes or are they surface mount?

3. Is the 1.5 V input spec RMS and not Peak to Peak?

Thanks very much. I'm looking forward to finally hearing these amps in our system.

Rod

My questions are:

1. Can the T1, T2, T3 & T4 amps all be modified to deliver full output with .4 V input?

2. Do the PC boards have plated through holes or are they surface mount?

3. Is the 1.5 V input spec RMS and not Peak to Peak?

Thanks very much. I'm looking forward to finally hearing these amps in our system.

Rod

I don't see a way to edit my post. My question 1 should have said Full output with .9 volt input.

Rod

Which of the amps would be ideal for a ~6ohm load? I'm getting ready to start on a pair of Pencil 7's (Mark Audio Alpair 7) and have been looking to pick up one of hifimediy's amps as well. Thanks!
IMHO you could be happy with T1 sta510-ALPS pot, but T4 will be better (only because of more undistorted power available), if you can afford it. [I ordered a T4...It will arrive in the middle of april; if you want to know about...contact me ;-)

Hi there, I just bought a T1 CTR 80x2 @ 8ohm amp and I want to increase the gain so that it works well from mp3 players etc rather than mixers/laptops.

I've read a lot of this thread and discovered I can double the gain by switching a resistor.

hi, please try R3=R5=40k for twice gain as before. I'm not sure what you prefer, so keep changing when get what you need.
But I still suggest adding a pre-amp for better behave.

You're going to have to forgive my newbish nature, but I don't even know where the resistors I need to change are on the board. Are there any tips/guides on doing this?

Anyone?

eta: I've seen the post about putting 20k resistors in parallel with r1 and r4. Is that the easiest approach? What type of resistor?

(yeah, I'm new to this :D )

for information

Highest Voltage Output (source : http://beavishifi.com/articles/headphonejack/)

an Ipod output is 1Vrms where a typical consumer audio device is 2Vrms

The gain V/V of the amp is (for the right channel) :
R5/R4 * (R15 + R11) / R11

to increase gain, increase R5 or lower R4 ?
SURE seems to lower R4 on their board. They add 22K resistors (0,1,2 depending on switch) in parallel to the existing 22K input resistor on their board.

I would suggest you do the same : if you want to double gain V/V, solder a 20K resistor in parallel to existing R4. And to R1 for left channel.

Last edited:
for information

Highest Voltage Output (source : Connect your Ipod to a Stereo)

an Ipod output is 1Vrms where a typical consumer audio device is 2Vrms

The gain V/V of the amp is (for the right channel) :
R5/R4 * (R15 + R11) / R11

to increase gain, increase R5 or lower R4 ?
SURE seems to lower R4 on their board. They add 22K resistors (0,1,2 depending on switch) in parallel to the existing 22K input resistor on their board.

I would suggest you do the same : if you want to double gain V/V, solder a 20K resistor in parallel to existing R4. And to R1 for left channel.

this sounds like the easiest way. I'm guessing it's the tiny things marked R1 and R4 on the board then :D

Any hints on resistor types? I don't want to get the wrong ones.

(yes, I'm new to this :D)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.