New Stasis front end

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi hirscwi, Zen Mod has added the three V+ and V- psu rail connection points to allow for a low impedance connection to the main psu cap bank. Up to you whether you use 1 point or all 3 in parallel. The 3 off LS+ connections also allow you to wire a paralleled lower impedance connection to the loud speaker + terminals, again choice is up to the builder.

There is a power supply GND connection on the RHS of the O/S pcb just under C3, this should be wired back to your PSU star point ground bus, this is only used to connect C3 to ground and does not go anywhere else on the O/S pcb. The loud speaker terminal neg connection should also be directly wired back to the star point GND bus.

Also the 2SA1294 is not a complement to the 2SC3519 although very similar. Difference being in VCEO. Complements are: 2SA1294 and 2SC3263 (230V) and 2SA1386 and 2SC3519 (160V) - but your combo should work fine, as you will be way inside SOA DC curve for both types with the Stasis design.

Hope that is all clear.
Yes, perfectly clear. Thanks for the explanation.

I assume there is a connection from `P gnd' on front end to the star groud - correct?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi hirscwi, Zen Mod has added the three V+ and V- psu rail connection points to allow for a low impedance connection to the main psu cap bank. Up to you whether you use 1 point or all 3 in parallel. The 3 off LS+ connections also allow you to wire a paralleled lower impedance connection to the loud speaker + terminals, again choice is up to the builder.

There is a power supply GND connection on the RHS of the O/S pcb just under C3, this should be wired back to your PSU star point ground bus, this is only used to connect C3 to ground and does not go anywhere else on the O/S pcb. The loud speaker terminal neg connection should also be directly wired back to the star point GND bus.

Also the 2SA1294 is not a complement to the 2SC3519 although very similar. Difference being in VCEO. Complements are: 2SA1294 and 2SC3263 (230V) and 2SA1386 and 2SC3519 (160V) - but your combo should work fine, as you will be way inside SOA DC curve for both types with the Stasis design.

Hope that is all clear.

For what it's worth, I mistyped: I have SA1386, not SA1294. Just looked at wrong notes. I have 4 each of the A1386 and C3519 so I hope I'll be able to get a decent match to the new ones. I've ordered the "non-A" version because that's what I had already.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Output BJTs, what to look for?

There are many complementary BJTs covering the needed SOA. What else makes them good candidates for this amp except maybe from constant hfe as a function of collector current?

PS: Thank you Papa and ZM for all the design work. I think I should add this project to my backlog.

Thanks for the reply Mark, those 2 Sanken devices you mention are also used in the monster D'Agostino amps. So there can't be much wrong with them.

The hobbyist and professional manufacturers have a better arsenal of output transistors to select from these days, compared to what Nelson would have had to pick from, back in the Threshold glory days - 35 years or so ago.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
What I like about KiCad is that you get unlimited number of layers and unlimited board size, for free. All of KiCad is completely free. When I was shopping for a PCB layout tool, a few years ago, all the other PCB software outfits charged money, sometimes a lot of money, for these capabilities. Maybe that has changed, it's been a while since I actively looked at other alternatives.

What I like about KiCad is that you get unlimited number of layers and unlimited board size, for free. All of KiCad is completely free. When I was shopping for a PCB layout tool, a few years ago, all the other PCB software outfits charged money, sometimes a lot of money, for these capabilities. Maybe that has changed, it's been a while since I actively looked at other alternatives.

In my day job, a principal designer uses Kicad. Just a data point for consideration.

The fact impressed me enough to start learning Kicad. I am using Kicad for the upcoming Mini Beast with 320 JFETs.