New Speakers or New Amplifier to Increase Sound Stage

Several reasons that relate to the design challenges of tube amps vs SS, active device impedances, device biasing, output device (transformer vs not) power supply issues, etc. It's way off topic for this thread. Frankly, you can research this yourself. I'd probably start with the Manley's VTL book. A knowledge of audio electronics will be required.

It seems that it is easy to cheerfully say: "it's nonsense", "it doesn't make sense", etc.
Well, then I say that it seems silly to me to say that you can achieve a GREAT soundstage in a SMALL space and with SMALL speakers, I did not say that it is impossible to change things A LITTLE in the case of the OP. Only a little. Everything can help, changing the amplifier, the speakers, the treatment of the room, etc. But it won't be worth the effort vs. results based on my experience, because I have had many different sound systems and in different environments.
I think you have not understood the part where I mention "for worse the OP likes classical music". The OP does not want to achieve the feeling of being live listening to a jazz trio! No, you want to achieve that aural sensation - the soundstage - as if you were listening to classical music in a concert hall!
And by the way it will be easier with a recording of chamber music (few instruments in a moderately sized environment) than with a recording of a symphony orchestra in a big theater. (many instruments in a huge space)
That said, what is meant by soundstage?
Have you been to a concert on a big stage? In what location? As you approach the orchestra, the soundstage will be chaotic - as if you were inside the orchestra, that's what a violin player, or oboe player, or clarinet player, etc. hears. - and if you are in the last row, it will be a "everything", but you will perceive it as something distant, with little individualization of the different instruments.
A location equidistant from the limits of the room - central - would be ideal, that's why people who are used to concerts try to get tickets in those locations that they consider privileged. As any person with common sense does in a cinematograph.
Here, in Argentina, we have an exception, all the regular attendees at the Teatro Colón assure that it is not necessary to pay for expensive seats, because in the upper box the sound is sublime. They call it "the chicken coop", located in a sector called El Paraiso. I was able to check it! There you identify each instrument visually and listen to the sound that radiates as if it were in front of you! , but at the same time is immersed in the general sound of the orchestra. But, there is no free lunch, you have to stand, although it is worth the effort. At least if you are young.
I don't think that those who built the Teatro Colón would have foreseen/calculated such an acoustic result.
I did not find links in English, sorry.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.ar/Show...on-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

https://teatrocolon.org.ar/es/colondigital/lecturas/ocurrio-en-el-paraiso
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historia_del_Teatro_Colón
You obviously have not read my post either. I was saying exactly the same thing about sound staging as you are trying to tell me here. If you did read my post you could have read that I am working in classical concert halls (one of the most famous halls in the world actually) and jazz venues, and pop venues, it's my job. I hear live music on an almost daily basis and I know what it sounds like in every place in the hall. I record music, I mix music, and yes I extensively listen to music. Most people and even quite a lot of 'loudspeaker designers' compare their sound systems to other sound systems. I never do that, I only compare it to what I hear during my work. My comments on low-end extension come from what I hear every day and what I hear so terribly bad reproduced by all these small loudspeakers. It was an advice to experiment with it because the 'size' of the concert hall can only be reproduced with proper low end. A 3" full-range driver, while giving you the illusion of a so-called 'holographic' experience or whatever you might call it, is never ever going to realistically recreate a real orchestra in a real concert hall, they just can't, period. I hear the difference every day.
Again, either my English is pretty damn poor or people don't take the time to actually read any post before commenting.

In case the OP is still around, I've found the following test tracks to be very useful in determining speaker placement for soundstage:

LEDR Speaker Placement

It's free and definitely worth trying before splashing out on new bits of kit. If you cannot get the sound 'outside' the footprint of the speakers with these tests, there's something very wrong with either the speakers or the accoustics
WoooHOOO! Someone that gets it! Thanks! I know the guy who created those tracks, where and how. Good tests, tough to make work well, but when they do...wow!

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I believe you underate what happens between 40 hz to 60 hz in a classical symphonie.
One sould maybe look what happens at f10... but is that a sealed ? 60 hz vented is too short while 40 hz is enough for 95% of classical but if you need Mussorgsky at wake up...

Constant directivity loudspeakers are also an attempt to control the directivity, unlike other loudspeakers that are designed without regard for this. Loudspeakers without directivity control have varying radiation patterns above where the driver is omnidirectional; in fact, many of them have frequencies where their radiation is much more narrow than 90° (typical controlled directivity -6dB point) so I can’t see how this is helpful advise.
Hi, the key to my comment about constant directivity, was to avoid narrow patterns, not constant directivity itself. Sorry if that wasn't apparent.
I'm all for constant directivity, i was kinda trying to make a case for it at least 180 deg wide, top to bottom :)

Pardon my ignorance but that test is useful for testing a loudspeaker pairs' imaging character ... not to test their ability to produce a realistic sound stage. Sound stage is the width, depth, height created illusion that contains the performers ... not their particular location (imaging).

I believe you underate what happens between 40 hz to 60 hz in a classical symphonie.
One sould maybe look what happens at f10... but is that a sealed ? 60 hz vented is too short while 40 hz is enough for 95% of classical but if you need Mussorgsky at wake up...
The first 20 second organ pedal note of Also Sprach Zarathustra is 16Hz. And we haven't even brough up Saint-Saëns.

Just sayin....

Pardon my ignorance but that test is useful for testing a loudspeaker pairs' imaging character ... not to test their ability to produce a realistic sound stage. Sound stage is the width, depth, height created illusion that contains the performers ... not their particular location (imaging).
The two are the same, inseparable. You get one, you get the other. Try it.

The exception is the huge and abigouous "soundstage" you get from omnis. But they don't image worth crap, so it's a fake soundstage.

They are not the same. This is why this thread has got so confusing for the OP'er. Too much incorrect language being used to explain a simple parameter.

"Sound" the result of audio production. The intensity of which being determined by the amount of individual sources or their peak SPL.
"Stage" the venue this audio production takes place in. Could be small, medium or large. These ques may be present in the recording themselves. The combined traits provide the illusion of space and the musicians in it, commonly refered to as the "sound stage".

Last edited:
They are not the same. This is why this thread has got so confusing for the OP'er. Too much incorrect language being used to explain a simple parameter.
Yes, they are. You can't get anything to image outside of the speaker angle without controlling reflections. And when you do, things can image low, high, close, far, anywhere in the space. The entire reproduced sound field becomes huge. Ambience goes where it should. And so on.

If you define "soundstage" some other way...

Two big speakers with closed box woofers that give nice response from 25Hz up with low GD (in-room) give such live-like music hall sound that most people can't even dream of. A single subwoofer is ok for movie effects or pop music only. Or if one hasn't heard of better..

My suggestion was omni/dipole speakers with two subs with dsp-control - Linkwitz LX-Mini plus. Reasons given by many posters here. Then, set them on the long walll of the room and enjoy! AVR that has pre-outs that follow main level are needed, or a new pre-amp.

If classicalfan wants to keep Piccolos, using minidsp 2x4HD to control stereo subwoofers crossed around 100Hz might help a lot. The problem is to find right acoustic highpass slopes and delay for main speakers, measurements are needed.

Changing just the AVR to any other amp is waste of money, unethical advice IMO.

Yes, they are. You can't get anything to image outside of the speaker angle without controlling reflections. And when you do, things can image low, high, close, far, anywhere in the space. The entire reproduced sound field becomes huge. Ambience goes where it should. And so on.

If you define "soundstage" some other way...
"Imaging" is the ability to pick out the individual musicians/sources within the horizontal space between the L/R channels. That is different than the "sound stage" presented.

You obviously have not read my post either.

After this test, all I can say is that either I really don't know what 'soundstage' means to other people, or the people who are saying it can't make a difference have never tried it or are simply stating nonsense, it puzzles me, that's for sure.

Of course I read it, you end up like this, hence my answer.

WoooHOOO! Someone that gets it! Thanks! I know the guy who created those tracks, where and how. Good tests, tough to make work well, but when they do...wow!
Just tried it, two of my systems I tested it on passed the test flawlessly. I'm still confused what most people over here call 'soundstage' The confusion lies in the definition. This test says a lot about imaging, my small system, and my big system both perform this test the same but on music playback the 'stage' or the 'size of the venue it creates is different, on the small system, the concert hall shrinks in size. That's my understanding of "sound STAGE" as in the real stage, the real thing, not a mini version of it. But maybe we are talking about the same thing only your definition might be different.

What do you mean by "images" here? Of course the sound stage includes the performers/musicians. Are they the "images" you're referring to?
I will make an effort, you know (I think) that it is difficult to describe sounds with words.
JGH created a "dictionary" specifically for that, but I'll go ahead with my own words. Attention that I do not speak English, I use a translator.
You are in front of your speakers and a triangle sounds to the left, the timbre is correct, very real. Then you hear a drum -at the right - beat on the rim of the drum. It sounds dry, the timbre is also correct, and it has a violent attack just like in real life. Those are images.
You also hear other instruments that are simultaneously perceived in the background, between L and R, but far behind. Put all that together and you have the sound stage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Gordon_Holt

Just to clarify for my purposes in this discussion I use the phrase sound stage to the mean the appearance of the total sound in terms of its width, height, and depth. And its location relative to the speakers themselves. Whether it is in front of the speakers, or behind them.

I do not include imaging in my definition, where imaging refers to the ability to pinpoint the location of specific instruments or voices within the sound stage. Imaging is not important to me at this time.

Others may disagree with these definitions, but they reflect my interests at the moment.

I just want to hear a big, wide, and deep orchestra in my small room. I still don't know if that is even possible, but that's the goal, nevertheless.

And I don't want to give up the outstanding sound quality, at least to me, that I have with my current speakers. That's not a trade-off that I would make just to get a bigger sound stage. So, any suggestions to try different speakers has to include those that are equal to or better than the ones I have now in terms of overall sound quality.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm definitely still around. And fascinated by the various responses because so many of them are in direct contradiction of others. So, they can't all be right.
It seems obvious to me that most of the contributors who have posted over the past few pages haven't read or comprehended your circumstances or musical requirements. 18" open baffle FFS?

The take away messages are 1. Professional audio engineers are often forced to work in small spaces like yours and it is possible to achieve great spaciousness and imaging in a room your size. Speaker placement and possibly some acoustic treatments are the key. 2. You are not going to hear spaciousness from an AVR, at least not from 99% IMHO. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/members/sjef.3527/ is absolutely on the money. 3. DSP and post processing of any kind, subwoofers, etc, is putting lipstick on a pig. Nothing within reasonable expense is going to add spaciousness without seriously detracting from the original essence of a decently recorded operatic or symphonic performance. Leave to tricks and toys for pop and rock, etc.

What do I know that I can be critical of other advice given here? I've worked with orchestras and opera companies, musicals, composers and conductors. I've engineered highly acclaimed sound reinforcement systems for modern operas indoors (E.G. Nixon in China, Sweeney Todd) and outdoors (Tosca) and worked with Steve Barbar and David Griesinger to design and install an electronic architecture system for opera and orchestra in a 2000 seat auditorium so that everyone in every seat can hear the spacial image of the on stage performance, even if they are off to one side or under a balcony. I can't get inside your head, so my thoughts are for if it were me listening to opera and orchestra.

Last edited: