New Speakers or New Amplifier to Increase Sound Stage

@planet10

Your loudspeakers look awsome and some good concept too. I use simple adhesive you can buy anywhere. The sound is dominanted by the layer of metal foil on the drivers cone (paper or plastic). Measurements show that this brings resonances down.

I did not understand what enabl means and what it does to the diaphragm. What is exactly done?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ressions-techniques.119676/page-2#post1460270

4.jpg

dave

Paper with Al foil. A sandwich (open face). Sort of like a MAOP where the top few layers of metal are converted to a ceramic. And similar to what i do with puzzlekoat and arcrylic gloss.

Killing the small vibrations from the wood/silk/manila/hemp… fibres increases the driver’s DDR by locking them together (do you use an adhesive to attach the foil?)

dave
You must use adhesive - its enough to use simple universal adhesive you can buy everywhere which fits to metal and wood.

I am not replying.to any particular post. First let me indicate that my remarks are based on the equipment that I am using. I am using a Marantz SACD 30n for streaming and for SACD and CD playback. For speakers I am using Philharmonic Audio BMR Monitors- thank you Dennis Murphy. For amplification I am using a Hafler DH200 that has been totally modified by Musical Concepts using the latest PA 8 driver board, with a totally upgraded power supply- the only thing that is original is the chassis and the light that indicates that the power is on. The overall effect is a system that is quite detailed and can sound quite musical given good program source material. With a good SACD or CD that has been properly recorded the tonality, clarity, musicality, imaging, etc. can be quite stunning. An example of what I consider good program source material is an SACD from Reference Recordings- Beethoven Symphony No. 6. with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. The disc was recorded DSD256 and was post produced in DXD 352.8/32. The Marantz is capable of playing this back natively. There is no apparent digititis and the sound can expand beyond the outer aspect of the speakers. This disc is the most tonally accurate disc that I own. What I have noticed with my system is that the appreciation of spatiallity is very much based on how the music was recorded and in what hall it was recorded. Additionally regarding spatiallity, on some discs I need to move a little closer to the speakers and sometimes a little further away. All too often, no matter where I place myself, the imaging leaves something to be desired. Personally, some recording engineers or their corporate masters seem to not give a damn or have a low threshold on what they consider to be a good recording..
I do not mean to start a firestorm on this board nor to vehemently disagree with anybody. I am simply stating. what I have observed.

Reactions: 2 users
What I have noticed with my system is that the appreciation of spatiallity is very much based on how the music was recorded and in what hall it was recorded. Additionally regarding spatiallity, on some discs I need to move a little closer to the speakers and sometimes a little further away. All too often, no matter where I place myself, the imaging leaves something to be desired. Personally, some recording engineers or their corporate masters seem to not give a damn or have a low threshold on what they consider to be a good recording..
I do not mean to start a firestorm on this board nor to vehemently disagree with anybody. I am simply stating. what I have observed.
I've no doubt all of it is true.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not replying.to any particular post. First let me indicate that my remarks are based on the equipment that I am using. I am using a Marantz SACD 30n for streaming and for SACD and CD playback. For speakers I am using Philharmonic Audio BMR Monitors- thank you Dennis Murphy. For amplification I am using a Hafler DH200 that has been totally modified by Musical Concepts using the latest PA 8 driver board, with a totally upgraded power supply- the only thing that is original is the chassis and the light that indicates that the power is on. The overall effect is a system that is quite detailed and can sound quite musical given good program source material. With a good SACD or CD that has been properly recorded the tonality, clarity, musicality, imaging, etc. can be quite stunning. An example of what I consider good program source material is an SACD from Reference Recordings- Beethoven Symphony No. 6. with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. The disc was recorded DSD256 and was post produced in DXD 352.8/32. The Marantz is capable of playing this back natively. There is no apparent digititis and the sound can expand beyond the outer aspect of the speakers. This disc is the most tonally accurate disc that I own. What I have noticed with my system is that the appreciation of spatiallity is very much based on how the music was recorded and in what hall it was recorded. Additionally regarding spatiallity, on some discs I need to move a little closer to the speakers and sometimes a little further away. All too often, no matter where I place myself, the imaging leaves something to be desired. Personally, some recording engineers or their corporate masters seem to not give a damn or have a low threshold on what they consider to be a good recording..
A system that is picky of recording, to me indicate serious problems in frequency response.
Try play some pink noise and use an iPhone spectrum analyser to see if there are bumps.
Cheers!

Well, thanks for the advice and I do appreciate it. But I’m afraid that I have to disagree with the direction you are suggesting.

There are certainly some people here that believe the amplifier can make as big as difference as you suggest. But they really are in the minority.

Having read many posts in multiple threads, including this one, it’s pretty clear that most people think that the speakers are far more important than the amplifier in determine the quality of what you hear. And I have signed up for that school of thought. At least for right now or until something causes me to change my mind.

With regard to OB, I certainly have given that consideration. However, as I said in a recent post, I’m not ready to give up the extraordinary performance of the SBA tweeter in the Piccolos and compromise the high end with sound coming from something like the Peerless Tc9.

There is far too much high end in classical music from instruments like flutes, piccolos, and violins to give up the SBA tweeter just to get a bigger sound stage. That’s not a tradeoff I’m interested in making. For vocals and jazz, it might not make much difference. But for classical it will.

Sound quality comes first for me, above all other considerations.
Sounds like you are happy with your system and have found the compromises that work for you. That's a fine place to be.
I think people are correct claiming high payback is in recording, speakers, placement and room.
But I find everything matters. For me the amps also matter. The source matters. The clock matters. The linestage/preamp matters. Dave's Enable caused my first modest speakers to disappear and image. Yup, even the cables can make a small contribution. Once you get the room and speaker placement working, IMHO there is a lot of low level information that needs to be accurately generated by the source and preserved faithfully by the rest.

Reactions: 1 user
To Tony EE
I am quite pleased with my BMRs. I have had them for about 8 months and I am surprised how good they are on ertain recordings. They do beg for good source material, playback device, and a good amp. Marantz SACD 30 N was brand new purchased and the overhauled amp was for all practical intents a new amp. It took about about 200-3000 hours of playback before everything came together and settled down. I was streamimg an Eagles concert the other night and it was startling to hear the sound of the drum set expand about to about 3 feet beyond the outer edge of the speakers and the cymbal smashes were pretty much all you could ask for. In deciding what kind of system you want you have ask yourself do you want a system that is really a musical instrument or an honest broker of what the musical source is. I chose the latter and I am happy. It took about 2 years of searching before I bought. My initial impression was that the system was too analytical to a fault and after about 200 hours of playing it settled down to a pretty honest broker. It is quite clean and on certain recordings I am transported to a different place. The bottom end response is more than you would expect from a 6 inch driver. A subwoofer is still needed for organ music. It took a while before I settled on speaker placement and also how far I should be from the speakers.