New Speakers or New Amplifier to Increase Sound Stage

OK - sorry I was so abrupt. The thing is, all I had in mind was for you to use your existing setup, with some additional circuitry, but which probably would need a third speaker (preferably another Piccolo) in the centre. And if you had another speaker to hand, you could get an idea of the effect simply by connecting the 3 speakers in a certain way (shown in the linked article) - before committing to building a third Piccolo plus additional circuitry.

Since you said you are willing to go to the lengths of changing speakers or amplifier, the above seemed to me to be acceptable in terms of outlay and work (I'm presuming the Denon has a spare amplifier channel for the extra speaker).

Of course, the addition of a centre speaker may be unacceptable...

PS: wesayso's advice is worth looking into as well.
OK, thanks again. I don't have another Piccolo to use but could possibly find something else. However, I still wouldn't be able to design the circuitry needed to try this. It's just much more involved and compilated than I really want to deal with at this point. It might sound great, but I need to keep things simpler.

OK, thanks again. I don't have another Piccolo to use but could possibly find something else. However, I still wouldn't be able to design the circuitry needed to try this. It's just much more involved and compilated than I really want to deal with at this point. It might sound great, but I need to keep things simpler.
Fair enough, though I had in mind any (relatively simple) circuitry or additional hardware could be explored in these pages.

I may have missed it but have you even tried porting your dang piccolos yet?

You’ve been getting advice from people that have done and do know but you seem more content with spouting off about what you won’t do instead of doing anything?

Everything is subjective to you and your conditions…….you’ll never really know unless you try something different!

I may have missed it but have you even tried porting your dang piccolos yet?

You’ve been getting advice from people that have done and do know but you seem more content with spouting off about what you won’t do instead of doing anything?

Everything is subjective to you and your conditions…….you’ll never really know unless you try something different!
I do appreciate the many pieces of advice that have been offered here, although some of it goes way beyond my ability or interest in implementing it. And I'll be happy to post any results I find from following it.

As I've posted before, I am not unhappy with the sound I'm getting right now. When I have the time I'll try the port tube changes to see if they make much of a difference.

Reactions: 1 user
As I've posted before, I am not unhappy with the sound I'm getting right now. When I have the time I'll try the port tube changes to see if they make much of a difference.
A quote by Jaff Bagby, the designer of the Piccolo:
"The kit builder has a choice with regard to the bass response of the speaker. Originally designed as a
small sealed system, it has a -3dB point of 70Hz with a Qtc of .75. This response offers excellent
integration with most subwoofers
However, it is also available with a rear vented enclosure of the same
size. The vented speaker has a small rise in response of about 1db in the 100Hz range and has a -3dB
point of 59Hz with a -6dB point of 48Hz. The vented version has an incredible sense of scale and weight
that seems to defy the size of the speaker."

The increase in bass from porting may be enough to give the impression of a larger space than you sense now, as classical orchestral recordings are often made in large rooms with long low frequency reverberation. Reducing the lower frequencies "shrinks" the room size.

If nothing else, it would help solve the complaint you expressed in post #305:
"But with only a 6” woofer the Piccolos really don’t deliver very well at the low end. Particularly for the classical music that I mainly listen to. They might be alright for jazz and vocals, but they just don’t hack it for full orchestras."

At any rate, adding ports is easy, and you could plug them if you decided to return to sealed and add subwoofers to cover the low frequencies missing in the Piccolo design.

Art

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Are you serious or are you kidding? the tubes are to "tune" the resonant frequency of the twoofer with respect to the volume of the cabinet, they are supposed to be fine, it has nothing to do with increasing the sound space. :nownow:
If you haven’t figured it out from Arts post above, CF built the piccolos sealed and left the back panel screwed in for easy access to try porting later…….I’m with Art, a little bass extension might just do the trick.

If you haven’t figured it out from Arts post above, CF built the piccolos sealed and left the back panel screwed in for easy access to try porting later…….I’m with Art, a little bass extension might just do the trick.
I can't go through almost 1000 posts to get a clue of something that is obviously wrong. (get a cabinet out of tune, is what he understands from the OP's phrase) In any case, since you follow the thread, why don't you bother to put the link to that publication and help me? It would also be more productive for everyone. Greetings, mountain man!

I agree, I’m not about to go looking for something…..was just trying fill you in.

as far as filling in missing bass it most certainly expands my soundstage…..my 10“ two-way mains have pro woofers that barely get down to 60hz so subs obviously needed, with the subs dialed in turning them on/off makes a difference even up top. Don’t ask me to explain how! :)

I can't imagine how that would be a solution to improve a poor soundstage.
I want to clear up any misunderstanding about what I have posted. I have never said that the Piccolos have a poor sound stage, nor am I unhappy with it. It fills in quite well between the two speakers, which are 6.5' apart. And it has good depth. Opera singers who move around can clearly be placed as they move to the front or rear or side of the stage.

So, all I have really been looking for is to widen the sound stage so that it extends beyond the outsides of the speakers. Essentially, so that orchestras sound wider and bigger. But please be clear, I'm not complaining about how it sounds now and if that if the best that can be accomplished in my room, I will still be very satisfied.

Last edited:
A quote by Jaff Bagby, the designer of the Piccolo:
"The kit builder has a choice with regard to the bass response of the speaker. Originally designed as a
small sealed system, it has a -3dB point of 70Hz with a Qtc of .75. This response offers excellent
integration with most subwoofers
However, it is also available with a rear vented enclosure of the same
size. The vented speaker has a small rise in response of about 1db in the 100Hz range and has a -3dB
point of 59Hz with a -6dB point of 48Hz. The vented version has an incredible sense of scale and weight
that seems to defy the size of the speaker."

The increase in bass from porting may be enough to give the impression of a larger space than you sense now, as classical orchestral recordings are often made in large rooms with long low frequency reverberation. Reducing the lower frequencies "shrinks" the room size.

If nothing else, it would help solve the complaint you expressed in post #305:
"But with only a 6” woofer the Piccolos really don’t deliver very well at the low end. Particularly for the classical music that I mainly listen to. They might be alright for jazz and vocals, but they just don’t hack it for full orchestras."

At any rate, adding ports is easy, and you could plug them if you decided to return to sealed and add subwoofers to cover the low frequencies missing in the Piccolo design.

Art
Yeah, thanks for reminding me about Jeff's comments on the vented version and about the increased sense of scale and weight. I really need to make that modification already and hear what it does.

.............. I want to clear up any misunderstanding about what I have . And it has good depth. Opera singers who move around can clearly be placed as they move to the front or rear or side of the stage.

But that is absolutely fantastic! It's just as if you were there in person! I'm glad for you ! Your odyssey has come to an end, feel privileged and enjoy your music, don't waste your time here anymore. ;)

I agree, I’m not about to go looking for something…..was just trying fill you in.

as far as filling in missing bass it most certainly expands my soundstage…..my 10“ two-way mains have pro woofers that barely get down to 60hz so subs obviously needed, with the subs dialed in turning them on/off makes a difference even up top. Don’t ask me to explain how! :)
I feel the same when I turn on the subwoofers, the music instantly takes on more body, and there seems to be more "depth", but I don't think that's all, there is more and it's not just deep bass.
The acoustics, the good amplifiers (I prefer the valve ones, to my ears, they give more sound stage for the same price), the type of speakers and their location, the sound source, everything matters. It is the famous search for musical nirvana, sometimes it is a utopian goal. Do not fall into obsession or it will be a distraction from the true leitmotiv, enjoying the musical compositions and the talent of the performers, beyond a few octaves or so and the feeling of "being there", which has returned crazy to more than one person.... :oops: ;)

https://polksda.com/srsreview.shtml Page "88" describes subjective impressions. It seems that getting something which can handle 200 - 1K in a nice way (i.e."best sounding 5" mid") and has the same or greater sensitivity as the piccolos wouldnt be too big of a stumbling block. Hookup and crossover build is assumed relatively trivial.

They say, right in the review; "5 ft separation almost always filled 15 ft room width". So, there you go. Take the psychoacoustic trick; I do with my OBs (another form of psychoacoustic trickery I've read...) and am happy, BTW.

But that is absolutely fantastic! It's just as if you were there in person! I'm glad for you ! Your odyssey has come to an end, feel privileged and enjoy your music, don't waste your time here anymore. ;)
Yeah, but what about the part where I said I would like the orchestras to be wider and deeper. And extend beyond the outside edges of the speakers.

https://polksda.com/srsreview.shtml Page "88" describes subjective impressions. It seems that getting something which can handle 200 - 1K in a nice way (i.e."best sounding 5" mid") and has the same or greater sensitivity as the piccolos wouldnt be too big of a stumbling block. Hookup and crossover build is assumed relatively trivial.

They say, right in the review; "5 ft separation almost always filled 15 ft room width". So, there you go. Take the psychoacoustic trick; I do with my OBs (another form of psychoacoustic trickery I've read...) and am happy, BTW.
Unfortunately I do not speak English enough to read it directly.......and it cannot be copied and pasted in the GT ......so I cannot give any opinion on the content .....:rolleyes: