NEW projector from INDIA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ya then we can go for it...One more thing...you can have a separate enclosure with fans and heatsinks installed esp for the bulb...this way you can reduce the size of the projector...

or we can go for a mirror (reflection) based projector in which the lower compartment contains the bulb and other electical circuitary and the upper portion contains the lens setup....see the attached image
Yea i've seen this design from drtsolutions.com but i feel this is possible only if the lcd is a small one. The one in the image is about 7" i think. but mine is a 17" lcd also we'd have search for front surface mirrors.

hi aramosfet

does lexan blocks uv rays tooooo...

from Lumenlab forum
UV, IR, Reflectors and Heat Shields
So you have figured out what light kit you are going to use. Now you need to make sure that light gets to the monitor, but the heat doesn't.

Heat Shields These are an important component of every projector. Heat shields are installed between the bulb and the first fresnel lens to help block heat from getting to the fresnel and monitor.
XL10: This is a UV blocking lexan. This is probably the most common method for blocking UV light from the bulb and providing a heat shield for the rear fresnel and monitor. Most people get this from their local Home Depot and it usually costs around $10. The main advantages of XL10 are that is cheap, blocks UV, and can easily be cut to the needed dimensions at your own home. Just make sure when framing the lexan to leave a little expansion room for when the lexan is heated.
Tempered Glass: Other members use tempered glass as their heat shield. Since the tempered glass doesn’t block UV, a filter must be purchased from Lumenlab to block UV. Another hassle is you have to go to the glass store and have them cut it to size for you, so you better know the exact dimensions of your box. The advantages of tempered glass are that it doesn’t bow when heated, and it blocks heat a little better.

So i guess lexan blocks UV. Not sure how effective it is for IR....

So i guess lexan blocks UV. Not sure how effective it is for IR....

Best way is buy a MH on which UV protection is written.Almost all good brands(philips,OSRAM) have it.These block almost 90% of UV.Don't use the bulb if the outer shell is broken or cracked.Don't go for china made MH.....Alternatively, use Lakme UV protection cream while watching movies in your projector.:D:D:D

Best way is buy a MH on which UV protection is written.Almost all good brands(philips,OSRAM) have it.These block almost 90% of UV.Don't use the bulb if the outer shell is broken or cracked.Don't go for china made MH.....Alternatively, use Lakme UV protection cream while watching movies in your projector.:D:D:D

Then we'll go for tempered glass... do you know any shops where they sell tempered glass cut to our requirements. How can we differentiate between normal/float glass and tempered glass?

I am also making a pj using

1. 15.6" LG lcd Model No. W1643c
2. 400 watt osram metal halide lamp
3. 74mm dia reflector.
4. 74mm dia condensor lens focal length 200mm.
5. 450mm focal length Quad element lens

now searching for the fresnel lenses 500mm & 220mm

parts of my light gate

Attachments

• Image0128.jpg
    Image0128.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 266
  • Image0130.jpg
    Image0130.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 240
  • Image0132.jpg
    Image0132.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 222
  • Image0124dim.JPG
    Image0124dim.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

3. 74mm dia reflector.

parts of my light gate
Nice work, can you tell me where did you get the quad element lens and how much did it cost you?
thanks.

2402 for a triplet is too costly.You can search in mumbai locally... or contact lensel pune, from where you can pickup personally on weekend.Else you can ask one of ur friend to collect it from allied(i got it for 1600 without tax,vat,bill) and courier it to you...by that way it will cost you 1600+200(max---courier charges).

Thanks Bishnu for this input. I spoke to Mr. Lingaraju of optics & Allied and managed to get the lens for 1800 bucks (1600 + 50 for packaging + 150 for couries)!!

Lensel's response time seems to be way too long !

3. 74mm dia reflector.

parts of my light gate
Nice starting...Keep discussing about your progress in this forum..It will help others as well as you in building your dream PJ.

How are u planning to get those 500mm fresnels mate !! Good luck with that.
Nobody around mumbai seems to know what tempered glass is ! I tried asking the hardware and glass stores here, nobody seems to have even heard of that !!

Go to any hardware store that sells glass sheet for windows/ventilators...
Just check on the glass...Tempered Glass will be written on it...Shopkeepers will just know by the term window pane or window glass or sliding window glass or simply glass sheet for window.Generally all sliding window glasses are Tempered ones so that they restrict the heat and allow the light to pass through.

Go to any hardware store that sells glass sheet for windows/ventilators...
Just check on the glass...Tempered Glass will be written on it...Shopkeepers will just know by the term window pane or window glass or sliding window glass or simply glass sheet for window.Generally all sliding window glasses are Tempered ones so that they restrict the heat and allow the light to pass through.

Thanks again bishnu. just received a quotation from lensel. it says 1103 for the 2 fls 310x310mm fresnels.

Just one more query, what monitor have u guys got ?? I am unable to get a decent one here. if someone can share model names/number ect that will be great. I tried those car roof mounts/head rests as well as proper computer monitors here..monitors seem too big and the car ones seem too small !! i am getting fresnels 310x310 since I don plan to import bigger ones !

Just one more query, what monitor have u guys got ?? I am unable to get a decent one here. if someone can share model names/number ect that will be great. I tried those car roof mounts/head rests as well as proper computer monitors here..monitors seem too big and the car ones seem too small !! i am getting fresnels 310x310 since I don plan to import bigger ones !

Infact, I have also ordered the same size lenses from Lensel.I havn't bought any monitors till now....Most probably I will go for a chinese made 9.5 inch LCD TV(around 4500 here)...the reason being...15 inch new LCD monitor+TV tuner card will cost me aroungd 5.5K...

Choice is yours...The only risk (infact biggest one) is the display.Once you open you void warrenty and if you don't handle it carefully your money is gone....

Bhlens

Hi All,
I just spoke to bhlens guys and they are willing to ship to india fresnel for 395 mm FL(230 and 330 mm) -> 17USD each + shipping 21USD :: total 55USD. If anybody is game, let me know we can place the order. But yes, I myself am contemplating on if I should go with this or not. The reason being: 1. the china lcd tvs with tv tuners are coming in for a price of 5K approx. here. 2. 15" W -. the least first hand lcd available here is 5K but it has much better quality than our china makes. but yes we need to spend 1k more for lcd tv tuner. 3. If we decide to better our PJs at a later stage, we neednt replace anything but the lcd (most expensive part i know!)

Hi All,
I just spoke to bhlens guys and they are willing to ship to india fresnel for 395 mm FL(230 and 330 mm) -> 17USD each + shipping 21USD :: total 55USD. If anybody is game, let me know we can place the order. But yes, I myself am contemplating on if I should go with this or not. The reason being: 1. the china lcd tvs with tv tuners are coming in for a price of 5K approx. here. 2. 15" W -. the least first hand lcd available here is 5K but it has much better quality than our china makes. but yes we need to spend 1k more for lcd tv tuner. 3. If we decide to better our PJs at a later stage, we neednt replace anything but the lcd (most expensive part i know!)

I would suggest only 1 thing::::: "IMPORT ONLY IF IT IS NOT AVAILABLE IN INDIA"

Coz I believe in "Start with what is necessary, then do what is possible, suddenly you will realize that you are doing the impossible"... very true in case of PJ building

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.