New Markaudio Drivers

Note that while the dip seems to be most pronounced on the 11MS, I think a quick review of all of the Alpair and Pluvia models shows dip pf some degree in that general area. Could that have anything to do with whatever mechanism Mark employs in an attempt to contour a degree of BSC into the drivers' response curves?

As any longtime reader of my bloviations will attest, I've been a very happy camper with almost every model of MA driver I've heard and owned for at least the last 10(?) years, and whatever that dip "should" sound like, I've not heard it.

Thanks for posting those Scott, I'd been waiting for the OK from Mark myself but as he has asked you to post them here I guess the floodgates have opened, I'll make sure they are up on my site in the next week or so for general consumption.

Sorry if my use of the word 'aerospace' upset some members. Don't forget it's me using that word in my description in the OP, not the factory marketing machine. I merely use it to convey that the material is an advanced modern aluminium/magnesium alloy whose properties find use in industries such as the aerospace industry that require materials with these properties.

Mark's rubber surrounds are well tested and known by now, I've not heard of any failures so far. Of course this is an all new surround but I'd not expect to find an increase in failure here.

I've just had confirmation that all being well my my shipment should arrive in the UK on the 14th August so not long to wait. My tests with the initial samples have gone well and sound great. Scott is still working on some designs, which will be ongoing of course, but so far we know that the 11MS are a physical and acoustic swap in the Pensil 11 design he did for the Pluvia 11, that is great news as those who have built these speakers and who want an 'upgrade' path can easily swap out the drivers. They will work just fine in the FHXL as well, albeit a different form factor so some work will have to be done to make them fit and kit makers like Dave and myself will have some work to do. The 7MS will work in the FH3, again a different form factor so some work will have to be done.

Stefan

Last edited:
These sure look like they are going to be terrific drivers. A note (plea) to Scott - think of including a version of your Poplar design for these drivers. Lots of us have to live with speakers right up against the wall and your Poplar ML-TL has that designed right in. Brilliant!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Madisound Will Carry Them

I inquired about availability - this is the reply:

Hi Tom,

They have yet to begin construction of the new speakers. We have them on order and they said they will get back in a few weeks on when they will be produced.

Kind regards,
Brian

It's certainly true that with a spider they would be more expensive again. Mark is a big advocate of holding prices where he can, so the price of the old drivers to me hasn't increased at all over the years despite the cost of production increasing. A new driver means a lot of design man-hours and brand new tooling which means more cost, sorry :)

I bet much of the extra cost comes from having to meet the tolerance. The coil former has to stay perfectly centred in the gap with components attached to it trying to get it off centre. The centre of mass of every component has to converge at the right place, and the only suspension now has to have even spring force at every point in its diameter at any cone displacement.