New Markaudio Drivers

It is called Alpair 7ms.

There are rumours that we may see a Pluvia 7 that is a cross between the old A7 moving part s& the current P7 basket.

dave

Let's start some rumours that there will be a Pluvia 10 which is a cross between the existing (someday to be old) A10.3 moving parts and a new basket so everyone like me who's building or has built cabinets for the A10p/10.3 has an upgrade path :D

Um, maybe let’s not? The world is already inundated by a bukkake party of fake news. Maybe Stefan or Scott might be close enough to get the skinny on long term strategy, but of course there could be financial repercussions to the company of such crystal ball revelations.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The A10 cutout (134mm) is essentially the same as the Alpair11ms (135mm). This means fitting A11ms into boxes like the FHXL that host either driver.

attachment.php

Reflex boxes will be an issue since the combo of Q & Vas means these want to be in a small box. ie Optimum A11ms miniOnken is 9 litre (ie same as A7.3/FF125wk/most CHx), A10.3 is 13 litre, A10p/A10.2/A12p is 17 litre.

A11ms Pensil is the same as the Pensil for the Pluvia 11.

Some of what follows is known, some is me guessing.

The Alpairs are the high end range and use higher quality/more expensive moving parts than the Pluvias. We 1st saw the new basket in the CHS70, which became the Pluvia 7. The goal, if it worked out, was to move all the drivers over to the new basket style. I am surprised not to see the A5.3 in a new basket — but it is a prototype, we could see one of the new-fangled basket — it would be nice to see a rectangular basket that allowed minimal spacing in a line array. Imagine 25 of them jammed together (whether you are an afficiando of line arrays or not).

The Pluvias are meant to be the new lower line replacing the CHx drivers. There were only 4” CHx, the Pluvia 11 was a new driver in that range, but oddly priced the same as the A10s (at least until they went on sale @ madisound) so sort of got left out of a lot of discussion. I expect the new size had something to do with the needs of SOTA (sadly DIA).

I expect we will see a smaller driver (the A6 size may have seen its last days) in the new-style basket, and i hope we will see the A12pw grow into an A13pw (ie 8”) with similar bezel size to the A12x. And then i imagine our MTM but with 4 x A13pw and the A7ms. All matched & EnABLed. That X13 basket could also be used for the 8” FR everyone seems to clamour after… althou getting HF from such a large driver is a challenge.

dave

Attachments

• Alpair-11ms-vrs-A10x.png
    Alpair-11ms-vrs-A10x.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,058
Buy now or wait until later?

I have designs in process for the MA A7.3 and A10.3. I would love to try the A5.2 someday but nothing designed at the moment. I have builds in the pipeline for the A6.2 and the CHR-70 (with pairs of both of those drivers already in-house).

Given the apparent imminent demise of the A7.3 and A10.3 should I get them while I can or would it be worth it to wait for the A7ms and A11ms? The A10.3 is currently on sale at Madisound so that's driving the decision somewhat.

What say the commentariat?:scratch:

Last edited:
The A10 cutout (134mm) is essentially the same as the Alpair11ms (135mm). This means fitting A11ms into boxes like the FHXL that host either driver.

Are you sure ? When I looked at this - they are incompatible as much as I wished otherwise. The cut out for the 11ms driver would obliterate the screw holes for the A10.3 - even rotating the drivers doesn't get you far because they have different number of mounting screws - so you can't make a cut out for both in the same box. Maybe you can change from A10.3 to 11ms but then you can't go back the other way so it's a one way ticket? You may have more up to date information as I was comparing the A10.3 with the Pluvia 11, I think. Now I'm not sure which data I used.

Last edited: