New "Kinoshita" type build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Use those few "filters" to alter the sound to your liking.

If it's muted, you need more hf. Do HF Gain: -3 dB

and see what happens. Measure before and after all alterations. You want a flat byt slightly downwards tilted response towards higher frequencies. Say 2-3 dB going from 500->15k

I'm sure someone more skilled will make it better.

Looking at your driver measurements there is definitely hope here ;)

//

Hi earl. I will get it working this week. Am taking my laptop and jig to my tech friend , and we will rectify to get it working. As always, there has to be something to delay the process. Not anything that will keep me down though.

What were your estimates on the crossover specs, if you don’t mind me asking

What were your estimates on the crossover specs, if you don’t mind me asking

Look to your ( REW ) distortion pane ( as well as FR of course ) for guidance.

The following is the distortion profile of a Celestion CDX-1747 driver on a JBL 2344 biRadial horn ( from some of my own inventory ) .

Setup your distortion window options ( as I have done, by clicking the sprocket icon seen in the top right of my pic ).

The normalized distortion display gives a really good indication of where the driver/horn combo loses acoustic loading ( below that point, the ratio of distortion to signal starts climbing ).
- Crossing out of the horn/driver combo before that upwards climb is a very good idea!

attachment.php

( At normal home listening levels ) I wouldn't have any qualms in using a 1K crossover point for this combo ( assuming the frequency response also looked good in that area ).

LR4 slopes should workout & sound fine.

:)

Attachments

• Celestion_CDX1747_on_2344_.PNG
    Celestion_CDX1747_on_2344_.PNG
    70.6 KB · Views: 297
You have just taught me something invaluable. Thank you Earl. I will set mine up the same and double check. What else can the distortion measurement tell. I haven’t found that in any literature yet, which is why I consider all the input as “superfood”. Thanks again

Would the same principle apply for the bass drivers? The increase in distortion indicating cone breakup, or am I wrong?

If so, things are starting to make good sense to me now

You have just taught me something invaluable. Thank you Earl. I will set mine up the same and double check. What else can the distortion measurement tell. I haven’t found that in any literature yet, which is why I consider all the input as “superfood”. Thanks again
Distortion readouts can also give an indication of when a driver needs some attention by an expert.

Here's a comparative study showing two Altec drivers ( same model ) on the same horn.

802T-34647_BiRadial_Distortion_Study.png

The top driver has a healthy diaphragm while the bottom doesn't.

Under these ( low voltage drive ) conditions, 3Hd ( third Harmonic Distortion ) shouldn't ever be more than 2Hd ( IME ).

The bottom driver with the poorly performing diaphragm needs it to be re-centered ( or replaced if that doesn't work ) by someone with the experience & know-how ( which would be me in this circumstance :eek: ).

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.