New FRX OB driver from Decware

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
>>> or that measured response is bogus

Maybe it's the best driver in the world? They are sold out btw, i just visited the site.

We need a shootout! FRX, Lowther, TB, Fostex, Feastrex, GRS, etc... open baffle + T-amp.

No, no, no... It has to be done in his listening room in his ZOBs with his amp with his test gear or the FRX curve will look just like the PE curve with a RLC filter applied. ;)

Which I just remembered that he used his amp too, so I wonder how much manipulation could be achieved be rolling a few tubes and tweaking a few op points?

I guess I don't see the continued analysis of his claims and even his frequency response graph. He's using a filter on the drivers and tweaked it for his ZOBs and certainly optimized his whole test system to achieve his marketing angle, I'm ok with that. I don't know for certain, but I just don't see Steve lying or falsifying data to sell a few drivers. His reputation has always been as a supreme marketing man who makes simple tweaks or techniques sound much more complicated or grander than they are, but in the end his customers are generally very happy with his gear. It doesn't make sense to me why he would risk his reputation with a $100 driver, a $70 transformer, and a $3 resistor if it didn't sound good or better than his original modded Fostex to most of his target customer base, which is clearly not the diyAudio forum.

I'm going to see if a DIY version with Edcors and ALPS pots to set a final value has any merits to my tastes. I like a high iron diet so I generally don't mind transformers in the signal path.

I'm intrigued enough by the PE drivers to order a pair when they come in and see how they sound, then send them up to Dave for proper mods. I'll also have to try a few other horn enclosures or OBs for these two sets of drivers too, just to compare them.

Well just got done listening to the new drivers from Decware in the OB speakers. For a short review, I am buying a pair when they are back in stock.
Now for the longer review, I brought some songs I am familiar with. The one thing that got me right at the beginning was the bass. The bass was just there and deep. I had to ask Steve 3 times if there was a sub somewhere. Nope, no sub. The speakers totally disappeared. I like my female singers and on one song you could hear the little quiver in her voice at a certain point. On a certain song there are people clapping. It did not sound like a couple people clapping, its sounded like 20 people clapping because you could hear the separation between the claps. Very impressed. Great sounding setup.

Well just got done listening to the new drivers from Decware in the OB speakers. For a short review, I am buying a pair when they are back in stock.
Now for the longer review, I brought some songs I am familiar with. The one thing that got me right at the beginning was the bass. The bass was just there and deep. I had to ask Steve 3 times if there was a sub somewhere. Nope, no sub. The speakers totally disappeared. I like my female singers and on one song you could hear the little quiver in her voice at a certain point. On a certain song there are people clapping. It did not sound like a couple people clapping, its sounded like 20 people clapping because you could hear the separation between the claps. Very impressed. Great sounding setup.

@kazoo

please tell us did you listen set up at Steve place on his ZOB with FRX ?

I don't think anyone disputed that Steve knows how to make great sounding audio gear & set up systems, and for that matter why begrudge him the profit from happy customers - after all this ain't just a hobby - but the mumbo jumbo marketing speak is at times a bit much.

I don't think anyone disputed that Steve knows how to make great sounding audio gear & set up systems, and for that matter why begrudge him the profit from happy customers - after all this ain't just a hobby - but the mumbo jumbo marketing speak is at times a bit much.

I think these days with the market flooded with amps and speakers you have to. Humans are weird like that. You can show them a speaker and say its really good and next to it is the same speaker but has a naked lady draped all over it saying the sound is orgasmic. Which one do you think would sell better?

Hi kazoo,

Wow, they must sound pretty good if you are getting them.

Can you elaborate on the bass response? Any idea how low it went? Was it tight and clean? Did you hear any rock or strictly jazz stuff?

Thank you in advance!

I am not sure how low it went but it was nice and tight. I don't listen to jazz much. The first song I played was Kitaro Aqua. There are bass notes that are pretty deep because you don't hear them on some speakers or they just sound thin. On my 166 esr BLH they sound thin. This OB made is sound like there was a 10" sub somewhere but with a perfect blend. The other songs were by Enigma, Leona Lewis, Andreas Vollenweider, Beyonce, Rihanna, Sarah Brightman, Enya. I like female singers.

I think these days with the market flooded with amps and speakers you have to. Humans are weird like that. You can show them a speaker and say its really good and next to it is the same speaker but has a naked lady draped all over it saying the sound is orgasmic. Which one do you think would sell better?

Sadly, there is some truth there, or the companies peddling massively expensive pieces of wire wouldn't get very far. However, a lot of people do see through the bollocks, and in fact make a point of not purchasing a product if draped in obfuscation and / or pseudo-science.

Yeah over the top marketing gets old and mystery statements or whatever too.. I guess one angle to that type of marketing is the controversy it creates which helps exposure good and bad, sort of like an over the top celeb compared to one that stays away from the paparazzi..

Imo Steve's products speak for themselves and over the top marketing hurts the rep, but maybe the odds of his style work for his business and are worth the gamble..

Couldn't find the Gigaworks Dac on ebay by using that search name?? And was hoping to not have to wade through a really long thread about it etc.. Is it a good buy for the money?..

Heck it's my thread, and it certainly won't hurt my feelings for a small bit of Gigaworks info being part of the Deware FRD thread :cool:

I wonder what Mr.Pass or GM, MJK etc think of this new modded FRD offering from Decware? Any ideas? can we drag Y'all into it :)

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanx for the link. That gives us another FR measure. This one with a contour filter -- it will be interesting to see what Curt publishes for a filter (could someone following that thread alert us when it is published?

The response is as "flat" as the decware but with a few peaks/resonances. In particular the one at the top is nowhere to be seen on the other 2, does that indicate unit-to-unit differences? That one is up high enuff that it might be beneficial as you move off-axis.

dave

Attachments

• dw-vrs-stk-vrs-otherFR.gif
    dw-vrs-stk-vrs-otherFR.gif
    35.9 KB · Views: 492
Which Primary impedance would be the most beneficial for the filter?

The choices at Edcor are 3.75K to 6R, 5K to 8R, and 6K to 8R. All are 25W rated. I'm leaning towards the 3.75K to 6R simply because I can use them in another amp if I don't care for the sound on the ZOBs, but I'd like to maximize the benefit of the filter too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.