• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

I never had any issues with the pins of my many RPi boards, and I have never heard of such issues. Are you sure it's not something related to the Allo board(s) or the software?
Hi mbrennwa,

If you look at my previous post. I swapped the RPis I have on both Digione and Katana.. i never encountered issues in digione. Software wise.. nope. done numerous reimaging both dietpi and volumio (both my volumio and usual volumio) on 2 RPis i have.. smurf only occured on RPi with Katana.. Cdsgames pointed a probability of having this issue. IDK if it is remote case.. however Mr Ashton encountered same issue. so it means IMHO that Defects per million oppurtunity of RPi manufacturing is high if indeed this is caused by RPi

From the what you say it sounds like a Katana issue to me.
If you think it is a warranty issue with Katana (which is sounds like you do), you should report it here: Allo - Computer Audiophile
Then see what they say, and if what they say does't work then request an RMA to return the unit for repair. This forum here is not the proper way to work through the problem. If you try to work through the system they set up and they do not make an effort to resolve the problem then you have a valid complaint.

The warranty information is here: Allo.com - Terms & Conditions When Ordering From ALLO.com

You can also try contacting them here Allo.com - Contact Us
or here:
allo.com - New Ticket

Last edited:
From the what you say it sounds like a Katana issue to me.
If you think it is a warranty issue with Katana (which is sounds like you do), you should report it here: Allo - Computer Audiophile
Then see what they say, and if what they say does't work then request an RMA to return the unit for repair. This forum here is not the proper way to work through the problem. If you try to work through the system they set up and they do not make an effort to resolve the problem then you have a valid complaint.

The warranty information is here: Allo.com - Terms & Conditions When Ordering From ALLO.com

You can also try contacting them here Allo.com - Contact Us
or here:
allo.com - New Ticket

I know that support. It takes 2 years for them to reply. I had a simple inquiry on Usbridge last May. Rahul didn't even bother to reply. I had been Seen mode. I learnt the USBRIDGE myself, after all it is a DIY.

This is a valid voice of the actual users. This forum is an avenue of any product features. After all Katana is still being improved. As far as cdsgames comment that allo cannot do something about it and now Ashton82 is complaining the same issue. Do you think this issue is random? This is inherent to the product. this is now 2 issue out of maybe first 200 products that allo manufactured. I need to confirm it on Katana 1.2

I also have a Boss Dac. When I swap the Boss from Katana, it sound well. So problem should be from Katana stack. I try many ways like Mr Marudo done.

Ashton82.. Same combo I did. I think Boss DAC is the closest device you can verify wether the issue is between Pi or the DAC. I used digione transport only for comparison. With this, it reinforces the origin of the smurf sound. Katana is an excellent DAC. The detail is really exceptional; this is my main setup now having surpassed my $1200 Marantz DAC/network player as well as my £1800 Dual Wolfson Based DAC:D:D. However, with this smurf sound Im a bit turned off. Hopefully its not the firmware.

Last edited:
Not quite what on the reboot was causing problems, but I know that allo is aware of it. Sounded like a firmware problem.

Try to just leave it be after starting playback. Get all your settings the way you want it, then power it down. And start it up and just play. See if the playback speed stays stable.

Not quite what on the reboot was causing problems, but I know that allo is aware of it. Sounded like a firmware problem.

Try to just leave it be after starting playback. Get all your settings the way you want it, then power it down. And start it up and just play. See if the playback speed stays stable.
Thanks Paul.

That's what I do. I leave it for a while, stream or play using volumio. Sometimes I turned it off for a day then it became okay. I am on the 3rd week of burning it in.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Regarding the "smurf" sound: maybe you've already tried this, but have you confirmed that you are using the correct overlay for Katana? I don't have a Katana, but I have created the smurf sound with other RPI DACs by using the wrong device specification.

On DietPi, you can see this by looking for the device_tree_overlay parameter (or its alias, dtoverlay) in /DietPi/config.txt. Here's my example (using the Boss DAC here):
Code:
root@office-music:~# egrep '^(dtoverlay|device_tree_overlay)' /DietPi/config.txt
device_tree_overlay=allo-boss-dac-pcm512x-audio

And here's the config for another DAC on another RPI:
Code:
root@basement-music:~# egrep '^(dtoverlay|device_tree_overlay)' /DietPi/config.txt
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac

I think the standard place for this file is actually /boot/config.txt. (That also exists on DietPi, but it's over-written on boot from /DietPi. Other distros likely have their own convention for managing the /boot folder.)

I also have a Boss Dac. When I swap the Boss from Katana, it sound well. So problem should be from Katana stack. I try many ways like Mr Marudo done.
Garbeled sound is a firmware issue that was fixed already

I am checking with team to see if we are ready to release the field upgrade software for Katana.

One easy fix is to simply re power using PSU (hard reboot)

Garbeled sound is a firmware issue that was fixed already

I am checking with team to see if we are ready to release the field upgrade software for Katana.

One easy fix is to simply re power using PSU (hard reboot)
In my case the sound is very low level and noise, fast. I hope your team will fix it. Btw, I will send a link of clip Katana play the sound.
Thanks !

For Katana 1.0 try below from ssh. This avoids the garbled sound after soft reboot, at least it does in moOde startup :)

If KATANA
sudo amixer -c0 sset "Master" 0
sudo speaker-test -c 2 -s 2 -r 44100 -F S16_LE -X -f 24000 -t sine -l 1
sudo speaker-test -c 2 -s 2 -r 48000 -F S32_LE -X -f 24000 -t sine -l 1
Thanks Mr TimCurtis. I hope it helpfull to fix Katana.
-Tim

The XLR out is balanced, that is not the issue. The problem is that a lot of common mode distortion and HF/RF noise that comes out of the dac outputs has not be sufficiently removed by the full output stage, which includes more filtering (part of which is taking more time right now to get right) and precision differential summing. Unless the XLR user is competent to design those things in to their own equipment to finish the output processing, the better approach if balanced is desired would be to take the unbalanced outputs, and re-balance that using opamps or transformers.

That is the argument, anyway. If cdsgames says that it does not apply to Katana, then there you go.

Last edited: