• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

Not Ioan, but I can answer some of the questions...

I have one of the Isolator 1.2 units here and used it in my trials with the Katana. I found it added a sense of 'quiet' to the background and calmed the overall sound in positive ways that allowed more natural and detailed sound. This is consistent with my experiences of isolator boards with other RPi DAC HATS.

The output (Secondary) side of the board is designed to be powered by the board above. In case of the Katana, that means you HAVE to have installed the jumper on J30 on the DAC board so that it feeds the board below.

The input (Primary) side of the board is designed to share power with the RPi. You can either:

- feed 5V into the RPi and leave the jumper on J26 off

or

- feed 5V into the RPi and install the jumper on J26.

I found it worthwhile and would not use a Katana without it, just as I won't use the RPi as a source for any other DAC (RPi mounted or separate) with an isolator board in place.

Of course this means at a minimum that with the Isolator, to gain any benefit from it, you need to power the stack with at least 2 power supplies. One COULD power the stack from a single high-current (3A+) supply with a Y-connector running to power the Katana stack and the Isolator input/RPi together, but that would defeat the ground isolation and eliminate any benefit of the Isolator.

I'll leave it to Allo to answer the questions on the product case and other Allo-specific questions.

Greg in Mississippi

Umm - did you mean to say "without" instead of "with"?:

I found it worthwhile and would not use a Katana without it, just as I won't use the RPi as a source for any other DAC (RPi mounted or separate) with an isolator board in place.

Some bad news. Due to delay in one components Katanas 1.2 will be delayed for about 10 days.

If any of the people that preordered had enough of all this problems , we will gladly give a refund and they can keep the old Katana

On the , only, positive side, on test units the sound quality has increased significantly .

Today, I get same problem like Mr @marudo, the Katana DAC sound smurf. I try to remove all of stacks and reassembly all of it many times. I also try to reinstall SD card with newest version of Moodeaudio 4.2, Volumio 2.452 but can not fix this issue. So,the quality of Katana or some pins contact is problem. Before that, I still using as well with Moode v4.2.
Pls help me to fix this error.

Today, I get same problem like Mr @marudo, the Katana DAC sound smurf. I try to remove all of stacks and reassembly all of it many times. I also try to reinstall SD card with newest version of Moodeaudio 4.2, Volumio 2.452 but can not fix this issue. So,the quality of Katana or some pins contact is problem. Before that, I still using as well with Moode v4.2.
Pls help me to fix this error.

Hi Ashton,

I think Allo cannot do something about it as what cdsgames pointed. I almost soak the Pins using my CRC contact cleaner (used almost 1/3), as suggested by some folks here. Yet the issue remained!

This issue occurs whenever I stream music via UPnP server, then I use other servers, still the same issue. After trial and error, it resumes whenever I access my music using volumio. I used dietpi and volumio only for this purpose. I swapped the raspberry pi B+(China) with RPi B (UK), I encountered the same smurf. I also restored factory setting in the volumio and reimaged.
Im not sure if the salt is causing this smurf sound.

I thought this is an isolated case.

Last edited:
Define what you mean by smurf? If you mean the rate of playback is faster than it should. Are you by chance starting playback, then rebooting your system, and then try to play again?
Precisely. Smurf = fastforwarded cassette sound

Done countless of reboots and different combo such as reimaging, swapping of SD card with digione device and software. Smurf sound is perrenial.

@cdsgames

I am wondering why Allo with all their expertise is relying on something basic and non audiophile like the RPi, a device they are unable to control.
So the high quality of Katana suffers from problems caused by the RPi.
IMO, this is not the way to go.
Allo should produce their own audiophile SBC like a high end Sparky that they can use for all their devices like Katana, Digione and USBridge.
I was very interested to buy a Katana but now with these problems caused by the RPi I am very reluctant now.

Matt

@cdsgames

I am wondering why Allo with all their expertise is relying on something basic and non audiophile like the RPi, a device they are unable to control.
So the high quality of Katana suffers from problems caused by the RPi.
IMO, this is not the way to go.
Allo should produce their own audiophile SBC like a high end Sparky that they can use for all their devices like Katana, Digione and USBridge.
I was very interested to buy a Katana but now with these problems caused by the RPi I am very reluctant now.

Matt
Hi Matt,

What attracted me to RPi audiophile is the dynamic software development and huge community support (volumio, Dietpi, Max2play).. as well as the ability to upgrade the computer easily. With the likes of microrendu or sotm that develops an in house monolithic transports, its not cost efficient and boring to have.

I want to use paper sand to clean the terminals. Im just wondering... if this is salt related issue causes resistance in Pi current flow.. Smurfing should be consistent.. and render my katana assembly unusable.. However in my case its aperiodic.. sometimes okay, and for awhile it will become smurfed

The question is, why should I buy an Allo product.
Because of the low price? No.
Because of high quality? Yes.
So I think most audiophiles buy Allo because they get a product which outperforms the competition.
Now I am heading towards something like USBridge or Ultrarendu. The price does not matter in this case, I am looking for the better product.

Matt

Marudu, rebooting is the problem. Do not reboot without power cycling the whole stack.

Paul,

Rebooting was quick solution. How can you explain while playing using volumio's player and suddenly shifting as UPnP renderer, smurf sound occured.. Im just changing operation via software. No rebooting involved. I think Nirvana should have an on off switch so no need to plug out the usb power chord in the input pf the stack.. assuming this issue is inhirent to katana..

Looks like someone who has the problem might need to try another RPi. If that doesn't solve the problem then try contacting Allo directly for warranty support. After all, there are only two connectors that matter, the one on the RPi, and the one Allo provides. Either an RPi problem or an Allo problem.

Other than that, someone would need to solder some tiny wire wrap wire to the I2S pins on one of the boards and watch on a scope to see what is happening with the signals. If smurf sound, that would suggest clock speed is too high, or there are a lot of noise spikes in the clock signals.

Looks like someone who has the problem might need to try another RPi. If that doesn't solve the problem then try contacting Allo directly for warranty support. After all, there are only two connectors that matter, the one on the RPi, and the one Allo provides. Either an RPi problem or an Allo problem.

Other than that, someone would need to solder some tiny wire wrap wire to the I2S pins on one of the boards and watch on a scope to see what is happening with the signals. If smurf sound, that would suggest clock speed is too high, or there are a lot of noise spikes in the clock signals.
Done swapping it with RPi B attached to my Digione.. same issue..