• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

A USB-C to DC cable should be arriving tomorrow and so I'll be able to test w/3x5V/3A PS and a power strip. I'll post back whether or not I experience any issues powering up all three boards at the same time.

Even if I don't though, it is explicitly called out in the tech manual "Follow power on sequence"...

-Tim
what psu are you using? is it the low noise smps from allo? ifi?

Either way a minor issue :)

You're always such a nice guy. :hug:

I don't think that's a minor issue though!

The whole powering thing of Katana is not properly sorted out yet. It's a key issue.

Obviously now people start using USB-C or whatever adapters , "cheap" $11 SMPS power supplies and whatever highly questionable solutions.

Keep in mind. Katana is not supposed to be a toy anymore. Power is key!

Allo should quickly offer real high quality ""sets"" for all major powering options. And that as soon as the major Katana rollout starts.

Allo is also well aware - after working on Nirvana - that their $11 SMPS is NOT really what Allo claimed it used to be. Below marketing line can still be found on the Allo page though:

We had this power adapter made to specifications guaranteeing the lowest ripple and noise possible. This helps in the quest to achieve the highest possible sound quality.

I'm wondering if this bold claim will hold for long from todays perspective .

Bottom line. If Allo wants Katana to become a success, they just can't neglect the power situation around it. Katana shouldn't be offered without appropriate supplies.

Enjoy.

Hi

definitley our PSU is not what its called a low noise PSU...but frankly in our test its not so bad at about 2.5mV of noise (1Mhz bandwith)

Still right now we are seeing how to improve the whole situation (and yes we think that first thing we will do is to add free adaptors (USBtype C to uUSB or even screw ins)

Also behind the scenes we are working on improving our analog stage...if we ever succeed we will provide free upgrades of analog stage.

Do not worry , we will listen and try to implement every suggestions and make sure that Katana is the best that it can be.

Hi
Do not worry , we will listen and try to implement every suggestions and make sure that Katana is the best that it can be.

Thank you. I am holding off buying a Katana until there is some clarity regarding the power issue. Is there really a huge difference between 1x and 3x PSUs? I was given a quote of £800 for a custom 3x 5V 3A PSU! Perhaps if my system were to be truly fantastic I would appreciate spending that amount?
It would be nice if Allo were to have a custom high quality PSU as an option.
I shall wait a bit longer.