"new" ESS amt unpack

That's not a bad deal when you consider you're getting over $4000 worth of woofers alone! I wonder what compression driver is included in the package.

It's surprising how little info is out there for Augspurgers.

Yes you are right.
Havent decided if I will go that way how ever.
But sure looks like Augspurger know what they are doing even if spechs is scarce.
And i have to go from Denmark to Alpharetta, GA to pick them up.
The price will end (with customs/tax) at the same level as you pay for a small car here in DK even when we pay for 3 cars here and only get one :D

Tax wise it looks like its better to go to Tokio and pick some TADs up there and make some arrangement to take them into Denmark as used items.
So i have cleared the Tax/VAT/customs fee up before i do the operation.
And off cause the corona restrictions have to be lifted before all the above is possible.

Have also considered that you are totally right :)
Quick fix is 2 pcs. Tannoy Legacy Arden - freakyTILBUD!
Start out with an electronic Crossover to tinker, hardwire later when the right parameters have been found if it gives better result.
Heil on top at the right place for phase and then adjust level for the heil in the crossover and decide at frequency to cross. from Tannoy to heil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I was more thinking about fact that in Dk you can regularly find decent pair of 15" Tanns for less than 1K Eu greenies

besides fact that majority of Tann boxes are utter drek, so why wasting Geld on them

though, I'm erring outa context here, I'm hardly finding a need for BigBadAMT with Tanns

if searching in Eu, I would go either with 12 or 15" Sonido drivers; Old School drivers made in modern way.... pretty much same spirit as Altec 515, but you're getting them new, without need to pony up your kidney

Boy Can't Help It

After seeing 'More From Papa' video, it took about 1 beer for me to order a pair of ESS Heil AMTs for myself. He's certainly right about them being a bargain! Easily rationalized the purchase; showing some restraint .....got the mediums.
Then went back to task (before the interruption) of source'in Tokin SITs.

A fool and his money are soon separated.

After seeing 'More From Papa' video, it took about 1 beer for me to order a pair of ESS Heil AMTs for myself. He's certainly right about them being a bargain! Easily rationalized the purchase; showing some restraint .....got the mediums.
Then went back to task (before the interruption) of source'in Tokin SITs.

A fool and his money are soon separated.

Nothing foolish about it. You will have a lot of fun with this AMT, great stuff! :p

They need a bit of EQ, but after that they are great. Natural, detailed, fast, transparent, low distortion, wide band...

Fedde

I regularly lust for these, remember the AMT1s and the great clear and open top. Could not find any specs on the ESS site, I saw somewhere that they are around 100dB/1w. is there a difference in the bandwidth and efficiency of the "medium" and "large" Heil element? I have some Altec 515-8Gs and Altec 620 and 828 cabinets ( and many power amplifiers ;) ) to play with. Could be fun to try a 2 way with electronic crossovers.

You can find a review with some specs and measurements here:
https://www.hifisound.de/out/media/...CHBJ6nCbap8P//ZTdTJAKEofNDkEOSML4uLjEpA==.pdf

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We can infer from the curves that the newer mylar diaphragms are not as flat
as the original polyethylene from 1972. Unfortunately the original material was
not consistent enough in thickness, resulting in a high rejection rate and there
we also some thermal failures.

And you'll like this: A couple of my associates kept spare diaphragms in the freezer,
and would swap out warmed up ones for cold every few minutes...

:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
To help a bit with translation of the reviews... the reviewers admitted that the original version was flatter in response, but also saw that the foil resonance that was at 1k moved an octave lower with the new ones allowing a lower crossover (they recommended crossover lowest at 1k versus 1k5).

Fedde

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You would want to talk to my wife. She ended up in QA and R&D
watching over the diaphragms. Back then all sorts of black magic was
being employed to keep the reject rate down to a reasonable level. To
their credit, management did not yield to the temptation to ship sub par
product.

She was the keeper of the golden diaphragms, and thus quite popular,
in addition to her already considerable charm. She also developed a
number of ad hoc fixes to diaphragms that got the yield up.

:cheers: