New Build.......XT25 & 830875

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My view on high DCR is that it can be used to advantage. It raises Qts which will entend frequency response at the low end if taken into consideration at the design stage but it will reduce efficiency a little so a slight adjustment of the treble balance may be necessary.

The humble hifi capacitor comparison is indeed good. Of those I've auditioned I broadly agree with its findings.

I'd use a non polarised electrolytic for the 100uF in a pinch but I'd insist on polypropylene (at minimum) for any series capacitor connected to the tweeter.

Last edited:
Great!! Thank you for all of the guidance. I will use the 100uf NPE and bypass it with a polypropylene and use polypropylene for all the others as well.

I have a spool of 12AWG magnet wire laying around and should be able to get at least the two 3mH coils out of that for a DCR @ about .25 The rest will be Jantzen 15AWG for the 1mH @ .30DCR, and the 20AWG .30 & .35mH will get me about .35-.40 DCR.

Anything to add or be aware of in my choices?

What about proper wire-wound 10W resistors............if they are not sand they seem hard to come by?

The extra binding posts should be here tomorrow.

Cheers,

David

Last edited:
Now I am starting to feel the measurement gear coming on.................which will ultimately lead me to breaking out the old windows 10 desktop.

With flexibility in mind which of the software programs is a good place to start?

I have not had time to properly understand the strengths and weaknesses of those available.

Cheers,

David

I would size the bypass caps to bring the value as close as possible to that required. Electrolytics have a wider than ideal tolerance.

I find metal oxide resistors excellent in Xovers, I build the value and power capacity I require using 2W types eg 5 ×15R in parallel for a 10W 3R with scope to fine tune by adding more or subtracting one or two.

Ok, here we go...........a new WM-61A measurement mic.

IMG_7036.jpg

IMG_7037.jpg

IMG_7038.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

Now I just need to find a good preamp............

Cheers,

David

I was thinking about that. Ty for the clarification.

I was able to get my WIN-10 machine running and connected to the wifi. I downloaded xSim and located my oldskool M-Audio Delta 410 sound card for measurement.

I also ordered some perf-board so I could twist up a Wallin preamp as I had all the parts on hand. The mail is currently so miserably slow that it will be what holds me back. UGH!!

The extra binding posts arrived today and I was able to get those installed, the 830875 drivers mounted, and the cabs sealed back up. Now just a waiting game for bits and bobs.

Cheers,

David

Having a bit of a "think"...........it would probably make more sense to wait for the measurements I get with these drivers in the actual cabinets and listening environment before I go off buying & building XO parts.

But that comes with its own challenges like getting used to and comfortable with the software and how to use it properly.

UGH!!!

OK, now I am starting to get bogged down and cannot find my sound card. If I am understanding correctly I will need a new sound card, a calibrated mic, and a preamp for the mic. Is this correct or is there a better way to accomplish the measurement goal?

I have two options for computers, Apple with the newest operating system or an old windows 10 desktop which was a powerhouse when it was built. All of the measurement, simulation, and design software I can find is windows specific, so I assume I will be forced to use the WIN-10 machine.

It was many years ago when I first looked into getting geared up for measurement and xo simulation. What are the new ways to accomplish this task with simplicity and accuracy or where can I go to learn?

Cheers,

David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.