New Aleph Mini PCB GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pinkmouse said:
Ok folks

I have been researching options for the softswitch board mentioned earlier, and as it requires various logic chips there will be gates left over as they tend to come in multiples of four or more.

So that got me thinking- should we split this project out of the MiniA thread and make a complete amp control module, with soft switch, soft start, dc and temperature protection? I am quite willing to design and prototype this, but as I am limited to the free version of Eagle I cannot really lay out the boards, as they will likely be too big, especially if we use a pcb mounted transformer.

Thoughts?

I think a full feature Power Supply control board would be a great Idea Al.

Regards

Anthony

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
How about an AC entry board with thermistors?

Design allows for use of pcb mount IEC connector, which also screws to the back panel. The spacing for the connector places the board 1/8" from the back panel, so this shouldn't violate any code?

A standard panel mount fuse holder is intended to be wired in series with switch, so that the amp can be serviced without being opened up.

The color notations are based on the Avel Lindberg colors.

--
Brian

Attachments

• ps.gif
    ps.gif
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,204
pinkmouse said:
Ok folks

I have been researching options for the softswitch board mentioned earlier, and as it requires various logic chips there will be gates left over as they tend to come in multiples of four or more.

So that got me thinking- should we split this project out of the MiniA thread and make a complete amp control module, with soft switch, soft start, dc and temperature protection? I am quite willing to design and prototype this, but as I am limited to the free version of Eagle I cannot really lay out the boards, as they will likely be too big, especially if we use a pcb mounted transformer.

Thoughts?

I have eagle Full : O ) I can help with the layout. Start the new topic and email me the link..

J

Joined 2002
BrianGT said:
How about an AC entry board with thermistors?

Design allows for use of pcb mount IEC connector, which also screws to the back panel. The spacing for the connector places the board 1/8" from the back panel, so this shouldn't violate any code?

A standard panel mount fuse holder is intended to be wired in series with switch, so that the amp can be serviced without being opened up.

The color notations are based on the Avel Lindberg colors.

--
Brian

No opinions on an AC entry pcb?

Here is a picture with the optional IEC socket.

--
Brian

Attachments

• ac-002.jpg
    ac-002.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,131
Hello,

I too would like to support the design of a "Super De Luxe" Amplifier / PSU control module.

Additional idea's for this:

- AC mains DC current protection
- Remote On/Off soft-switch input
- Remote Low-Power-Mode soft-switch input

Brian, about your AC entry board:

- Fusing the safety ground? Is this a good idea?
- I would use a DPDT switch to switch (Hot and Neutral) the AC mains?
- Like already posted, an AC receptacle directly soldered to a PCB will probably cause the connections to the board to fail because of mechanical strain.
- I would use numbers (more neutral) instead of colors for the wiring of the primaries of the power transformer.

Henry.

I'm down with ALL the BrianGT stuff... AVID JUNKY

No, fusing the ground bond is contrary to NEC code. I suspect it was an oversight...

This covers neutrals AND ground bonds.

NEUTRAL FUSES (from the 1915 NEC)

Rule 23a specifies that a (fuse) must not be placed in any permanently grounded service wire.
Rule 23b specifies that the fuse must be omitted in any permanently grounded wire, except where a two-wire branch circuit is derived from a grounded-neutral three-wire system, in which case the fuse MUST be inserted.

Joined 2002
Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
I have repaired too many cinema automation pcb's who's traces were vaporized by some component failure down the line. Even heavy traces will vaporize!! As a result of this experience I prefer to hard wire all my AC stuff. I like the power supply board the way it is..... but without the AC stuff on it.

The AC input board is seperate from the power supply board, so it can just be thrown away if you do not want to use it in your amplifier. The AC input board can be entirely optional.

byteboy said:
Additional idea's for this:
- AC mains DC current protection
- Remote On/Off soft-switch input
- Remote Low-Power-Mode soft-switch input

Brian, about your AC entry board:

- I would use a DPDT switch to switch (Hot and Neutral) the AC mains?
- Like already posted, an AC receptacle directly soldered to a PCB will probably cause the connections to the board to fail because of mechanical strain.
- I would use numbers (more neutral) instead of colors for the wiring of the primaries of the power transformer.

As for the IEC connector on the pcb, it is screwed down to the pcb and also screwed to the chassis panel, so the mechanical strain won't be too bad. There is always the option of using an off board connector.

As for fusing the safety ground, this is not done. The TH1 and TH2 denote CL60 thermistors, as used in the Pass Labs Aleph schematics. The schematic for the AC board is the same as the ones from the Aleph manuals. As for the DPDT switch, it wasn't done in the original Aleph amps, so I didn't think that it was a necessity.

As for the remote soft switch board, this can be taken on as a seperate project at this point. Rob Cheng's board would work well here, except for the use of a higher current relay.

As for the colors, they are based off of the Avel Lindberg colors. I didn't want to use numbers, as I am using numbers for the secondary AC connections, and I wouldn't want people to try to wire up the amp directly off of the mains, being confused with the similar notation.

WorkingAtHome said:
Perhaps the pads shoudl alow direct mounting as well as remote mounting with wire of the IEC connector.

There are pads allowing for this. The IEC connector is purely optional.

--
Brian

Joined 2002
chipco3434 said:
I'm down with ALL the BrianGT stuff... AVID JUNKY

No, fusing the ground bond is contrary to NEC code. I suspect it was an oversight...

This covers neutrals AND ground bonds.

NEUTRAL FUSES (from the 1915 NEC)

Rule 23a specifies that a (fuse) must not be placed in any permanently grounded service wire.
Rule 23b specifies that the fuse must be omitted in any permanently grounded wire, except where a two-wire branch circuit is derived from a grounded-neutral three-wire system, in which case the fuse MUST be inserted.

There is no fusing of the GND connection. There is just a thermistor in series with the AC gnd connection, before going to the central ground, as done in the Pass Labs service manuals.,

--
Brian

There is no fusing of the GND connection. There is just a thermistor in series with the AC gnd connection, before going to the central ground, as done in the Pass Labs service manuals.,

See, I told you I was down with all your stuff. This will be a GREAT project!

As for the Avel colors, I think it will eliminate half the emails you will get regarding tranny wiring. Not a bad idea at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.