New Aleph Mini PCB GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd leave out the pcb mount IEC, and use a normal chassis version. The pcb mount versions are always coming loose from the board. I've lost count of the ones I have had to fix in pro gear.

If you've got a sketch of your potential softstart circuit, I'll draw up a schema in Eagle for Jason to have a go with.

pinkmouse said:
I'd leave out the pcb mount IEC, and use a normal chassis version. The pcb mount versions are always coming loose from the board. I've lost count of the ones I have had to fix in pro gear.

If you've got a sketch of your potential softstart circuit, I'll draw up a schema in Eagle for Jason to have a go with.

That would be sweet save me the time and you could pick the apropriate parts to be used then when i get home i can jump onto a board layout : O )

:D

I will reconsider it.
Brian, This is almost too much:) :) Nonetheless I think this addition wil benefit a lot of people. I am sure a lot of Newb's are gonna try this one, and the fuse board is gonna hand them some kind of protection:) :) :) I hope also that the mentioned noob's will read the intire thread:cool: Please let us have a BOM for the Softstart ASAP.
I am very happy about this thread so far:) :)
Except for a few excuses:D :D

Steen.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
pinkmouse said:

I can easily make a layout, but I don't have a schematic. If I had more spare time, I would work up a design and prototype it.

Ideally, the design would consist of a debounce circuit and a flop-flop, which controls a high current relay.

Rob's design is great, but I don't want to have to use SMD parts:
http://maxhawk.flagshiphosting.com/projects/Ampturnon/index.html

I guess a classis cross-coupled pair of nand gates would work for the debounce.

--
Brian

Yea, people seem to shy away from preamps for some reason or other. I am using a Rosenblatz Grounded Grid at home now and I have yet to own anything that comes even close to it. Sure, it has room for improvement but is an amazing piece of work. It only cost 90 bucks to build it P to P! One thing that makes it easier for me to build amps is that I am lucky to have access to a full machine shop at my leisure.... Some days or on weekends I just stay at work and work on them!

I will check out Pavel's stuff:).

Mark

Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
Yea, people seem to shy away from preamps for some reason or other. I am using a Rosenblatz Grounded Grid at home now and I have yet to own anything that comes even close to it. Sure, it has room for improvement but is an amazing piece of work. It only cost 90 bucks to build it P to P! One thing that makes it easier for me to build amps is that I am lucky to have access to a full machine shop at my leisure.... Some days or on weekends I just stay at work and work on them!

Mark

Access to a machine shop huh. WOW i wish i was there i have a super super idea for my stereo blocks for my aleph mini's

Mark

:bawling: :bigeyes: Full machine shop ?

Re: Mini-A transformer

RKH said:
Has any one found a suitable transformer for the mini-A? Avel (the ratings carried by Parts Express don't seem to fit the bill)? Plitron? Custom from Victorina Magnetics?

Just checking to see what folks are thinking.

Thanks,
Ryan

i phoned plitron yesterday for a

10-0-10 @500va they wanted 135.00 canadian with out shipping

OUCH!!!

Brian said when i asked him about 60$ Us i believe from Victoria magnetic's.

Coulomb said:
Check out this transformer, one per channel should be plenty.

182S12-ND from Digikey about $76 CAD, $61US I purchased two for my Aelph-X.

Power=Volt Amp (VA) 225
Secondary In Parallel 12VAC@18.76A

Regards

Anthony

Maybe 2 of those per stereo amp : O ) Brian suggested 500va for a stereo block.

Victoria Magnetics would be the least expensive but still high quality route to go. I had them wind a 2X15 @ 320 VA for my Mini and it was about 65.00 plus shipping.

Mark

I need to buy 3 of them and sell my aleph 2 victoria magnetics ones

I haev 2 1kva brand new never used Vm trannys used for briangt's aleph 2 boards for a aleph 2.. humm wonder if any one needs them..

Ok folks

I have been researching options for the softswitch board mentioned earlier, and as it requires various logic chips there will be gates left over as they tend to come in multiples of four or more.

So that got me thinking- should we split this project out of the MiniA thread and make a complete amp control module, with soft switch, soft start, dc and temperature protection? I am quite willing to design and prototype this, but as I am limited to the free version of Eagle I cannot really lay out the boards, as they will likely be too big, especially if we use a pcb mounted transformer.

Thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.