New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TC

Don't underestimate the need to run the drivers in. I ran mine on FM radio for months. I played a 1950's British film on a new channel we have called Talking Pictures last night ( The Man who changed his name , I think it was called ). At last I have the sound I remember from our local cinema. I am told it had A BTH amplifier ( British Thompson Houston I think was the company ). The Baffles might have been Vitavox. My friend Martyn was friendly with the projectionist at the twin cinema owned by the same familly, hence knowing this. He also remembers a mercury rectifier that must have been giving out x-rays. Funny part of the story is built 1931. I was talking to an old man about it. He pulled from his pocket a photo of him 70% completing the brickwork in about 1930. He looked a bit shocked as he had only put the photo in his pocket to show a friend that day. As far as he knew it was the first time it had been shown in 60 years. The Sterling Kidlington ( twin in Witney ).

Kidlington, High Street And Sterling Cinema c.1950 - Francis Frith

I will say, since having mine on a receiver crossed at 150hz, and with creative eq (on the receiver), my setup hasn't changed much. And that says something. I usually change (rearrange) every 3-4 days, changing to a small 2-way 8" to a big 2-way with 15's even.

I think it is better to eq it for the off axis so it sounds better everywhere instead of an area 2' wide at 11' away.

But congrats.

Only 7 left at mcm as of right now.
They sent an email to my buddy who got them for me.
It let us know that they received some and they are in stock.

Were I not hot to try a mtm (6.5" silver flute with morel cat378) or use the 8" SFs that I have, or try my buddy's "super heresy's" (altec 290 on mid horn and transformer coupled piezo), or some seas a26 woofer run wide open with single capped tweet, I might be done with playing with speakers.................

Hauntingly revealing .......

I've got them on 2' x 2' O.B.'s on the floor with slight tilt .....
Quasi JE Labs
1) So much more efficient that I will need to pad the inputs to my P.A.
because now the volume on the P.C. has to be down where it gets
(whatever ..... it sounds worse at the lower end of it's range)
2) For sure breaking in. At first it sounded as if one of the V.C.s was
rubbing, but that worked out.
3) More to come :)

Hauntingly revealing .......

I've got them on 2' x 2' O.B.'s on the floor with slight tilt .....
Quasi JE Labs
1) So much more efficient that I will need to pad the inputs to my P.A.
because now the volume on the P.C. has to be down where it gets
(whatever ..... it sounds worse at the lower end of it's range)
2) For sure breaking in. At first it sounded as if one of the V.C.s was
rubbing, but that worked out.
3) More to come :)

Looking forward to trying these in my next project in OB over my MJK H-Frames.. I think these speakers offer tons of potential for the full range no x-over crowd and can probably be tweaked to your hearts content, plus very nice sens etc..

The Telefunken style OB would probably suit these drivers nicely or a version thereof.

Btw looked at your YT video.. Sounds like dropped D tuning, DADGBE?

Been there lol.. Lots of drunken guitar but none on YT (no account) I have a drummer buddy I use to jam with way way back who has just been part of a vid on YT, but it's kind of heavy etc.. We would jam Metallica, Black Sabbath etc back in the day.. Now if I could do anything Sungha Jung can do I'd be happy but not even close :)

Anyhow how are you planning to use your new speakers, OB maybe or?

Last edited:
Yes. 2' x 2' OB's .................. Same baffles as in the backround
on the YT ......... But on the floor rather than the milk box ' stands '

Sounds good! I will be using them (when I get some) on top of my h-frames in a small Telefunken style baffle,or I may just recreate the whole thing :cool:

029_zps2ba06dcb.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the Telefunken design does it have a specific advantage? My best guess is better sound due to less diffraction? I do have one sound issue with my speaker and that is a slightly enclosed midband ( sounds like it's in a cup on low grade sources, a Spendor BC1 less so ). The cinema last night was very similar on voices ( worse I think ). I had thought of trying to find a cone shaped object to push my 12 inch drive unit forward. The Telefunken design looks within my skills so might be worth a gamble.

Talking about the fane ????????

probably that 1.5-3.5khz peak......................

it is even there 30 degrees off axis.

Then add in lack of baffle step and/or listening at under 90db (needing smily face eq for loudness compensation), and yea, easily heard as mega-phony (boosted presence region).
Drove me nuts even on the 1808 tang band 8" (a boosted presence region).
Can get annoying on electric guitars, some music it may not be bothersome.

Talking about the fane ????????

probably that 1.5-3.5khz peak......................

it is even there 30 degrees off axis.

Then add in lack of baffle step and/or listening at under 90db (needing smily face eq for loudness compensation), and yea, easily heard as mega-phony (boosted presence region).
Drove me nuts even on the 1808 tang band 8" (a boosted presence region).
Can get annoying on electric guitars, some music it may not be bothersome.

Maybe some treatment could tame some of that? Modge podge, lacquer, shellac, elasto etc etc..