• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Neurochrome Modulus-286: 65W (8Ω); 125W (4Ω) @ <-120dB THD Composite Amplifier Module

Are these supplies safe to use?
Probably. They seem pretty well made.
Do they carry any safety certificate? EMC test etc.
Maybe. That's probably a better question to ask Connex directly.

The Mean Well RPS-series is good too. That does come with all the various regulatory approvals. Unfortunately they don't have much around ±30 V. 27 V is the closest and that's only available for the RPS-400 (and maybe the RPS-300 as well). Note that the 36 V RPS-400-36 has a tendency to whine audibly at light load so it's not a good choice for an audio amp. The RPS-400-27 is fine.

Tom

This is quite late but I wanted to post my experience building an 11 channel modulus 286 power amp (split into two enclosures of 5 and 6 amps each) to drive a 5.1.4 channel atmos home theatre setup.. Notably I’m only using 9 channels at this stage but built headroom to go to 7.1.4..

I purchased the 11 modulus 286 kits from Tom in August 2020 and proceeded to build the 11 channels into two Dissipante 3U enclosures using power 686 boards and the older soft start modules that were diy build. Given the scope of the project I had probably half a million questions during the building process plus some minor trouble shooting issues to work through, all of which Tom painstakingly answered throughout.

At the end of that process, I then realized the benefits of going balanced/XLR and again he helped as I built a paired preamp using his universal buffer and preamp power supply modules in order to convert the single ended signals my Denon x3700 preamp was delivering to balanced, and again he went out of his way to help throughout.

More recently I engaged in another project to build a 9 channel muses digital audio control preamp which used some of the universal buffers and power supplies I had previously purchased and he was a hugely helpful resource throughout.

Not only do the preamps and amps sound fantastic, and are a huge reason to head down the 286 route, but Tom is utterly deserving of respect and admiration for the amount of post purchase support he provides. Anyone considering purchasing should have no doubt when it comes to to the caliber of the building documentation, the amp performance and the post purchasing support.

Thanks very much Tom!

Attachments

• D06B2744-91DA-4400-9C4B-9DDAAF7395CE.jpeg
    D06B2744-91DA-4400-9C4B-9DDAAF7395CE.jpeg
    590.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
.... Tom is utterly deserving of respect and admiration for the amount of post purchase support he provides. Anyone considering purchasing should have no doubt when it comes to to the caliber of the building documentation, the amp performance and the post purchasing support.
Yes...2 hips and a hurrah for Tom Christiansen! :worship:
@mcphervi
Happy you got great sonics, enjoy your builds!

Best,
Anand.

Don’t worry - that was an early pic and the wire nuts are long gone! Had something like four 14g solid core wires on each side set up for the power rails to each amp and that was a quick and dirty way to get it connected to test initially. Were swapped out later - I should really make some new pics but don’t really want to pull apart the whole setup haha.