Need construction advice for OB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
>jjasniew, you say "obvious."

Well, OK, I've been doing two wire devices since I was a kid. One time I hooked the two wires of my dad's battery charger together and left it like that for a couple hours. Dad was not happy.

Since there's two VCs on the woofer, I wonder what would happen if you put one of the caps across just the second VC - leaving the first connected to the amp for an 8 ohm load?

Now there's an Xover design you dont see very often... Use the second winding as a generator driving a cap. As a novice you're free to play and remember, it isnt so much what makes formal sense as it is what sounds good. Furthermore, what sounds good to you. Quite an easy experiment too - dont even have to solder...

Depending on the component values.... the inductance of the voice coil, the capacitance value selected and the DC resistance of the voice coil, it would form a self contained series notch filter within the driver at a particuler frequency.

This arrangement would inductively induce a partial short circuit into the other voice coil at that particular frequency. This would cause a reduction in the drivers impedance at that frequency, possibly below 4 ohms. Not a good idea unless one can measure the end result.

One can fiddle with speakers trying this and that until one gives up in frustration, or one can learn what the necessary principles are in good loudspeaker design and use the tools necessary for a satisfying outcome.

C.M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.