Near full range BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator)

Hi Jason,

Yup, the kids are already building their Christmas lists and watching "The Polar Express" to get in the spirit...!

Mid December is good and by then I will have some kit available to buy.... I've got to pay for the kids Christmas list!!;)

Great stuff Derek,
I may well be buying myself something for Christmas then :D

I notice Precision Devices have released some drivers designed for sealed boxes,( typically a few month's after I bought a pair of 1550's) the PD.155N01 looks like it has potential to work well with BMR's, what do you think ?

Jason

USA group buy

I for one would be interested in details on the 9 BMR array :)

Hi Octavia,

Thanks for your interest and I will send you some info, please PM me your email address.
I have quite a few European guys on stand by for a group buy, but you are the first USA guy to confirm interest.

To keep the shipping costs down it would be ideal to find one USA guy to act as the "hub" and then internally post out the boxes to the other USA customers.
I would arrange all payments in advance so no one is out of pocket or exposed to unpaid shipping costs.

With a minimum of 4 USA customers I can make this happen....1 down 3 to go! ;)

All the best
Derek.

Precision Devices.....Nice!

Great stuff Derek,
I may well be buying myself something for Christmas then :D

I notice Precision Devices have released some drivers designed for sealed boxes,( typically a few month's after I bought a pair of 1550's) the PD.155N01 looks like it has potential to work well with BMR's, what do you think ?

Jason

Well spotted Jason, the new 155NO1 is a very well engineered driver, I have ordered a pair and cant wait to test them!
I am currently using a pair of 15 inch Precision devices drivers based on one of their OEM range, you will be able to hear them when you come over....Pic attached.

PD's build quality is superb and their OEM guys are great to work with, they can produce a custom drivers with a very wide range of TS parameters and mechanical properties all based on the same chassis....Very efficient design.

I am over the moon with all the OEM designs, 8 inch, 10 inch, 12 inch and 15 inch drivers....From small near field monitors to "Holy Moley" what are these!? ....All good stuff!

Attachments

• 25 OCT SM15 AND 10 128.jpg
    25 OCT SM15 AND 10 128.jpg
    769.3 KB · Views: 499
Well spotted Jason, the new 155NO1 is a very well engineered driver, I have ordered a pair and cant wait to test them!
I am currently using a pair of 15 inch Precision devices drivers based on one of their OEM range, you will be able to hear them when you come over....Pic attached.

PD's build quality is superb and their OEM guys are great to work with, they can produce a custom drivers with a very wide range of TS parameters and mechanical properties all based on the same chassis....Very efficient design.

I am over the moon with all the OEM designs, 8 inch, 10 inch, 12 inch and 15 inch drivers....From small near field monitors to "Holy Moley" what are these!? ....All good stuff!

Great Derek, I look forward to hearing what you think of the 155N01's, what sort of size cabinet will they need ?

Thanks for the picture,that looks like a serious monitor ! Any chance of some pics of the new satellites & arrays ?

Our goal is to condense all this down into a one box solution.
A media hub which WiSA 's out the signal to the on wall active speakers.
No speaker cables, no USB cables no interconnects!

The hub is modular and will be available with a wide range of connectivity options (including cables for the geeks!) to avoid paying for features you don't need.
As the hub includes our DSP, a WiSA transmitter board and a modified Raspberry Pi its firmware is up-gradable and connects to external NAS storage or servers as well as the cloud.

The cost of this one box box solution will be lower than the total cost of all the hardware and software currently required to do the job.
Do you know what price range it will end up at?
I assume you will sell it separate of your speakers as well.

Battery powered?

Media hub options

Hi Bjorn,

Yes we will sell the Media Hub as a stand alone unit as well as bundled with the speakers.
All the components in the active studio monitors are modular so we can sell them as stand alone products or as a complete system.

The whole system will consist of:
(1) Media Hub, WiSA or cabled, it will have a broad range of connectivity and data conversion capabilities.
(2) Analog to Digital convertor.
(3) Digital to Analog convertor.
(4) DSP - Cutting edge stuff, cant say too much at the moment but its a game changer.
(5) Exceptional power amplifiers, linear bandwidth out beyond 2 MHz...."Its all about the phase"!
(6) The BMR based loudspeakers.....Nuff said!;)

We will have the option of a total off the grid battery powered system, also certain components will have the option of battery power.
All with LiFe Po4 batteries.

Lots of work still to do....I it takes soooooo much work to pull all this together but we are getting there.

All the best
Derek.

Hi all
I'm contemplating a new build of a straight line array, and those BMRs seem like a viable option.
The project will have a size constraint: the arrays should be no taller than 175cm, and no wider than 12cm, as they will be placed on top of a 63cm tall cabinet, adjacent to a projector screen.
This makes driver choice a bit more difficult: I can only use drivers that are 3.5" or smaller (cutout diameter no larger than 80mm).
1. Driver choice
I have looked at the BMR 3.5", available from PE. These are very intriguing thanks to their wide dispersion angle, but then again I'm a bit concerned with their distortion plots, as shown here.
Other options include the Vifa TC9/TG9, or the more expensive Fountek FR88, and Celestion AN3510. There are also the Audience A3S and Scanspeak 10F/4424G, but they are just too expensive.
2. Planned configuration
The plan is to stack 15 elements in a 175cm tall, straight, sealed cabinet, based on MDF.
When using 8 Ohm elements, I can arrange them as 5 parallel chains of 3 drivers in series per each chain, giving an overall impedance of 4.8 Ohms.
According to Griffin's white paper, the 15 driver-stack will give an efficiency gain of 11.7dB, and sensitivity gain of 2.2dB. So when using 85dB drivers, I should end up with 99dB/2.83V - not bad !
3. Bottom end
The bottom end (i.e. 250Hz and lower) will be handled by two active 10" subs, in sealed boxes of about 35L each. Crossover+EQ will be based on a modified Mini-DSP (I can use DEQX but its a bit expensive for this job).

I still have some doubts:
1. How much power do I REALLY need for the arrays ? Can I use ordinary AB amp of 50-60W ? On paper seems like it should work, but then again it's a 15 driver stack...
2. Will I benefit from dividing the enclosure into smaller, sealed compartments ?
3. And finally, driver decision: I'm almost tempted by the BMRs, but then again I tend to go for the old-school default: the Vifa TG9.

Thanks for any feedback!
Yair

Last edited:
Driver choice: depends how much you want to spend. The BMRs in this thread are not for sale as drivers only. The TC9/TG9 have been done with great results (check out Halair and Wesayso's threads)

Planned Config: Why not go with 16 drivers and wire 4/4... this way you keep the 8 Ohms across.

Only 16 divers, yes, you will need subs. MiniDSP will work.

1- I would go for at least 100w. An AV amp with discrete power (even a few years back) do the job fine especially when combined with MiniDSP and the likes.

2- Yes... if unwilling , at least 4 semi closed compartments of 4 drivers each.

3- I have read some conflicting reviews on those PE BMRs. The TC/TG9 however seem to be liked by everyone, at that price point.

Hi @perceval, thanks for your comments !

Planned Config: Why not go with 16 drivers and wire 4/4... this way you keep the 8 Ohms across.
Yes, this could work :)

1- I would go for at least 100w. An AV amp with discrete power (even a few years back) do the job fine especially when combined with MiniDSP and the likes.

In my experience, an AV amp specced at 100W, does the same job as a 40W stereo integrated, ideally British :)
The question is whether I will need the extra headroom of a high-output power amp, as it will need to move lots of air - the array will have the same surface as a 12" driver...

2- Yes... if unwilling , at least 4 semi closed compartments of 4 drivers each.
Cool. Are there any guidelines for the ideal proportions of enclosure volume per driver ?
Thanks again !
Yair

I meant 100w per channel.

Remember, you are dividing that power throughout 16 drivers.... at least 100w will give you some oomph! :)

Have you read the Two Towers thread by wesayso? I know it is lengthy, but there is a lot of important information in there.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...o-towers-25-driver-full-range-line-array.html

If I remember well, wesayso has chambers of 2 litres per driver. Would need to confirm though as my memory falters from time to time...

Hi Yair,

That's all good advice from Percival and I agree with him, you should read the two towers thread and then clone that great line array....
I havn't heard his system but I am sure it will sound really great and you can save a lot of $$$$ by using plywood instead of alloy.

Wesayso is a great guy and will help you and share his experience, personally I think his system is currently the very best on the DIY scene.
Although Stig Erik's systems are awesome too!

The measurements Wesayso has posted are the best I have ever seen on this site and are better than 99% of commercial systems.

For a DIY system sound quality is all that counts.
In the commercial world measurements are almost as important as the sound.
In the Pro world total reliability is a big factor.

I really hope someone in the UK builds a two towers line array as I would love to take along my BMR line arrays and compare....;)

All the best
Derek.

PS I have just taken delivery of a new DEQX HD4....Its mega! The on board DAC's and power supply are now top class.....The unit is great value and can hold its own in any studio environment or domestic system.
More on this soon!

PS I have just taken delivery of a new DEQX HD4....Its mega! The on board DAC's and power supply are now top class.....The unit is great value and can hold its own in any studio environment or domestic system.
More on this soon!
I did a direct comparison between HDP-4 and Lynx Two-B. I found the HDP-4 not being as transparent sounding as the Lynx sound card. It definetly had a little bit of audible distortion to my ears.
Considering the price of HDP-4, I have to say I was somewhat disappointed.

While I haven't compared HDP-4 and Hypex DLCP directly, my experience after also comparing the latter with Lynx is that the DLCP is overall more transparent.

DEQX Expert set up and measurement is vital...

Hi Bjorn,

That's interesting, I have never used the Lynx soundcards but I have seen them used in lots of studios.

I have found this new DEQX very transparent, this can be tricky though as it will reveal all sorts of upstream issues that might have remained hidden in other set ups?

Also the DEQX changes character with different filter types and slopes.
What slopes / filter types do you use?

Then you have the two seperate issues of speaker driver measurement and room measurement. This really is the heart and soul of the DEQX.

The DEQX is only as good as its speaker and room measurements.
I thought I was pretty good at setting it all up (I've only had 10 years of experience with it...!!) until I got a DEQXExpert tutorial.....

This is manditory in my view and pretty much all new DEQX units are sold with that set up service.

All the best
Derek.

I did a direct comparison between HDP-4 and Lynx Two-B. I found the HDP-4 not being as transparent sounding as the Lynx sound card. It definetly had a little bit of audible distortion to my ears.
Considering the price of HDP-4, I have to say I was somewhat disappointed.

While I haven't compared HDP-4 and Hypex DLCP directly, my experience after also comparing the latter with Lynx is that the DLCP is overall more transparent.

The DEQX is a DSP processor, the Lynx is a sound card. Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison...

Hi Bjorn,

That's interesting, I have never used the Lynx soundcards but I have seen them used in lots of studios.

I have found this new DEQX very transparent, this can be tricky though as it will reveal all sorts of upstream issues that might have remained hidden in other set ups?

Also the DEQX changes character with different filter types and slopes.
What slopes / filter types do you use?

Then you have the two seperate issues of speaker driver measurement and room measurement. This really is the heart and soul of the DEQX.

The DEQX is only as good as its speaker and room measurements.
I thought I was pretty good at setting it all up (I've only had 10 years of experience with it...!!) until I got a DEQXExpert tutorial.....

This is manditory in my view and pretty much all new DEQX units are sold with that set up service.

All the best
Derek.
Don't get mye wrong, we're talking small differences. I still regard HDP-4 as very transparent sounding, but it lacked some compared to Lynx Two-B.

I used the DEQX only as a preamp/DAC when I did the comparison. I never doubted the speaker correction, I've heard several impressive systems with DEQX. So I just wanted to know how transparent the device was by itself. I connected the Lynx card digitally to DEQX and used passive speakers when comparing.

The difference I heard was the following:

- DEQX added a slightly warm signature. Not much, but it was clearly there when compared to the Lynx

- There was some harshness in the highs with the DEQX. Only audible with some music/frequencies. Like it was sticking out, while the Lynx just sounded homogeneous and right

The second one surprised me and something I don't fully understand.

I do know Stereophile found quite a bit of jitter in one version of DEQX:
DEQX PreMate D/A processor/digital equalizer Measurements | Stereophile.com

Last edited:
DEQX - Stereophile best

Hi Yairf,

Thats interesting too....I used to replace the entire DEQX power supply and run it from a battery. I also used my own DAC's with the digital out so the DEQX was only running as a DSP.....It was the best sound I ever had with my Overkill speakers.
An early version is reviewed here :6moons audio reviews: Overkill Audio Encore Speaker System

I think the new HD DEQX range is much better and now includes very good DAC's and power supplies.....
Stereophiles die hard analog guy, Michel Fraemer has been converted to DEQX digital....He loves it!

Is Kyron Audio's Kronos the Best Sounding System You Will Ever Hear? | Analog Planet