NE5534N best quality replacement?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Debatable. The number is higher, yes. RC-980BX is way simpler (less = more) and can be modded with a few tricks. I always liked it better than RC-990BX, certainly after I had my way in it. It definitely is better than RC-870BX with line inputs. I don't know the phono preamp results.

BTW the naming convention is RC-xxxBX. I mean RC-980BX as it is called RC-980BX. Maybe we are discussing different devices?!

Last edited:
The only place that an NE5534 works best is in a moving coil phono stage. The unique combination of input noise voltage and current matches the audio band impedance of a moving magnet cartridge perfectly, which maximises signal to noise ratio with a real cartridge (rather than a short circuit input). The much more recent OPA1621 comes close though.

But in non-phono stage applications there are many alternatives that are much more suitable. The TI Sound Plus range is certainly worth a browse.

thanks for all the help, I will leave the signetics in place, for future projects I will use Onsemi
I have an old Crown Straight Line One
Stereo Preamplifier (1978-79) it does have a few 5534, are those also Phillips ?

IMG_1461.JPG

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
They have the Signetics "S". Signetics was bought by Philips in 1975 so own could say these are made by Philips (with only 1 "l" contrary to the Phillips screwdriver).

That device needs good (not cheap) IC sockets, new electrolytic caps and it seems the film caps have been caught by moisture/mold build up. If you are at it you can also replace the caps that tarnished the reputation of tantalum caps for ever: the blue drop type tantalum caps.

The opamps are really last of your concerns.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The only place that an NE5534 works best is in a moving coil phono stage. The unique combination of input noise voltage and current matches the audio band impedance of a moving magnet cartridge perfectly, which maximises signal to noise ratio with a real cartridge (rather than a short circuit input). The much more recent OPA1621 comes close though.

But in non-phono stage applications there are many alternatives that are much more suitable. The TI Sound Plus range is certainly worth a browse.
Until now I don't understand, why optimizing to best values for SNR provides any audible advantages while a listening test - check out this thread:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...e-noise-i-want-to-know-all-approaches.296358/
For me much more important than SNR of RIAA phono preamps is the sonic character itself.
Differences between -55db and -85db SNR are only to be perceived, when tonarm is lifted.

If one weren't dealing with record noise like on a microphone pre-amplifier every db higher SNR provide advantages.

That device needs good (not cheap) IC sockets
If its not broke, don't fix it. Ensure the socket has tin-plated contacts, not gold (never mix tin and gold), and isn't getting loose. Replacing an IC socket carries a risk of damaging the PCB pads.
Differences between -55db and -85db SNR are only to be perceived, when tonarm is lifted.
Maybe, buts its very noticable/annoying at that point if you been listening at high levels. Its dead easy to make a reasonably quiet phono preamp, so why wouldn't you?

They have the Signetics "S". Signetics was bought by Philips in 1975 so own could say these are made by Philips (with only 1 "l" contrary to the Phillips screwdriver).

That device needs good (not cheap) IC sockets, new electrolytic caps and it seems the film caps have been caught by moisture/mold build up. If you are at it you can also replace the caps that tarnished the reputation of tantalum caps for ever: the blue drop type tantalum caps.

The opamps are really last of your concerns.
I will replace all the caps, the specs for the preamp are amazing, Total harmonic distortion: 0.0003%, no phono section but I dont care

If its not broke, don't fix it. Ensure the socket has tin-plated contacts, not gold (never mix tin and gold), and isn't getting loose. Replacing an IC socket carries a risk of damaging the PCB pads.

Maybe, buts its very noticable/annoying at that point if you been listening at high levels. Its dead easy to make a reasonably quiet phono preamp, so why wouldn't you?
Because then you can't realize all approaches that are possibly inferior in sound character to those that have an excellent SNR - e. g. this approach:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...king-in-inverted-mode-not-to-find-why.222677/
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/riaa-amp-using-shunt-feedback.249557/