NE5534N best quality replacement?

I guess you meant 5534 and 5532 are quite different? I would be very interested to know what the differences are.

The 5534 is internaly compensated for gain above 3 and has
pins for external compensation capacitor as well as for balancing
the input differential tails current.

Since the 5532 use the same 8 pins package for a dual op amp
the compensation is only internal and is set to be unity gain stable.

Otherwise these are the same circuits.

Attachments

• NE SA SE 5534 PS.pdf
    108.5 KB · Views: 121
  • NE 5532 OS.pdf
    170.5 KB · Views: 87
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I guess you meant 5534 and 5532 are quite different? I would be very interested to know what the differences are.

Well apart from the obvious ones, of dual vs single and the NE5532 being internally compensated but the NE5534 needing an external compensation cap a look at the TI Datasheets may give a clue :)

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ne5532.pdf
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ne5534.pdf

Some pretty obvious differences on the input. Including ability to adjust output offset on the ne5534.

conceptual schematic extracts from the datasheets below:

Typ slew rate of the NE5534 is higher at 13V/uS compared to Ne5532 at 9V/uS too.

Tony.

Attachments

• ne5532.png
    ne5532.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 335
  • ne5534.png
    ne5534.png
    50 KB · Views: 334
The 5534 is internaly compensated for gain above 3 and has
pins for external compensation capacitor as well as for balancing
the input differential tails current.

Since the 5532 use the same 8 pins package for a dual op amp
the compensation is only internal and is set to be unity gain stable.

Otherwise these are the same circuits.
From spice models I found a half 5532 is same as a 5534 with a 20pf compensation cap.
However I was told they are not exactly the same circuit.
I found no difference, but the cap, comparing the Spice models in the file NE553x.lb
Well, I don't know. Who will ever know about model accuracy.
Anybody knows more ? :spin:

When you use the NE5534 inverted it looks like this, compared to the 40x more expensive OPA627. Neve used the NE5534 in it´s boards not simply in a parallel feedback arrangement. There is more to it to use this excellent and cheep part for advantage.

I have noticed on simulations that in inverter mode the 5532/5534
has way better linearity than any other op amp , to the point that i did
conclude that it was due to some inaccurate spice model....

Now when we think about it , the 5534 is the op amp of choice
for I/V converters and it happens that it is used in inverted mode.

Indeed , Texas instrument say explicitly that it must be used
at the output of their PCM1794 DAC to extract the best perfs.

I have a power amp that uses NE5534N op amps for the electronic balanced inputs, it is in a unity gain configuration. It looks as though these are dead and I would like to replace them with the best quality modern op amps having the same pin out. Can anyone tell me which would be the best new device in terms of sound quality? Since there are only two of them I am not too concerned about the price, quality of sound is most important.
it depends on various things; important to know is
- which voltage value is in use (there are a lot of new OP-Amps optimized for very small voltages)
- which output current is necessary (especially by driving VAS stages from power amps or long cables at the output from preamps)
- which value of voltage gain is chosen (for unity-gain modes may be other types are to prefer as by gain factors arround 10 (20db), 100 (40db) or 1000 (60db).
To evaluate this in detail is a lot of work, because there are launched a lot of new op amps in the last three years - go to
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/132471-national-opamp-inflation.html
and
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/134948-opa827-sonically-comparable-opa627.html
If money doesn't matter I use mostly the AD797 for upgrade. I like the internal topology, because there is only one voltage gain stage within the global NFB-loop (unkile the NE5534 and some other) - go to
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...screte-clone-comparison-seven-variations.html
From the new types unforrtunately there are no longer to find the internal circuit topology - go to
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...me49720-lm4562-lm-4562-lme-49710-49720-a.html

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
No, the TI part was the worse but still very good. The NE5534 is a very good Opamp.
One measure of excellence is the gain at 20kHz and the NE has a lots of gain there.
The LME49710 beats it slightly but not in current noise.

I dont remember the outcome too well but could you inform which manufacturer came out on top, I want to make a mental note of interest.

Besides AD817 its the opamp I use most, I have no complaints.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The 5534s use a local +/-15V which is very simply derived from +/-90VDC main rails by 4W 1K5 resistors supplying 15V/1W Zeners. The resistors run quite hot. It seems quite a rudimentary regulation system. The rails seem quite stable but I could imagine they might move a bit if the amp was being used to anything like its full extent. I hope this helps?

If the 5534's really are faulty then I would replace the zeners as a matter of course as they would be prime suspect for the cause of opamp failure. They (the zeners) probably run quite hot as well so check them for dry joints.

Zener stabilised rails will be very stable... they won't move under load.

Everyone has their favourite opamp. Things to be aware of is if the 5534 makes use of pins 1,5 and 8 in your circuit. That means frequency compensation and/or offset nulling is being used and so a straight swap for something else is not advised.

The AD817 looks good. Is has more noise though into low impedances. It is very fast and settles fast. As an interesting diversity it has a high open loop bandwidth. Some think that sounds better. My view is that the Gain-Bandwidth product is what matters.
The TI NE5534 had double the distortion in the treble then the other vendors products.
The outcome was published in Elektor and i have to look it up. Competitors where from Fairshild, NJR and others. They performed all the same.